Sponsored by:

Took the car in for PCM software update

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Took the car in for PCM software update

I took my car to the Fremont Porsche for a software update for the PCM. I noticed that after I took a call on my iPhone, it won't resume playing music. I read that the new PCM v1.4 has fixed this problem. The dealer told me that if my manufacture date is before April 2009, which it is, then it has the old version, v1.1.

Unfortunately, the disc they received is not readable by my CD player, so they have to order another disc with overnight shipping. I hope that it will arrive tomorrow...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

they put the PCM update in for me. I have yet to pair my blackberry with the car. I have alot of reading to do! Now, I need to find that universal adaptor!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I took my car to the Fremont Porsche for a software update for the PCM. I noticed that after I took a call on my iPhone, it won't resume playing music. I read that the new PCM v1.4 has fixed this problem. The dealer told me that if my manufacture date is before April 2009, which it is, then it has the old version, v1.1.

Unfortunately, the disc they received is not readable by my CD player, so they have to order another disc with overnight shipping. I hope that it will arrive tomorrow...
Did you also ask about the PDK update?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by DRJMK
they put the PCM update in for me. I have yet to pair my blackberry with the car. I have alot of reading to do! Now, I need to find that universal adaptor!
That's strange, the universal adaptor should be included with your car. I found mine in the compartment, still in plastic wraps.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by mstams
Did you also ask about the PDK update?
I didn't ask specifically for a PDK update, I only asked what campaigns are outstanding on my car, and only 1 showed up on the computer: inspection of the muffler clamps.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
mstams
Racer

That's strange, the universal adaptor should be included with your car. I found mine in the compartment, still in plastic wraps.
Same here.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 PM
mstams
Racer

I didn't ask specifically for a PDK update, I only asked what campaigns are outstanding on my car, and only 1 showed up on the computer: inspection of the muffler clamps.
Another post stated that it was not listed anywhere but would be automatically updated if necessary when your car was hooked up at the dealer, so you might not need one -- but I would ask if you're going back.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Another post stated that it was not listed anywhere but would be automatically updated if necessary when your car was hooked up at the dealer, so you might not need one -- but I would ask if you're going back.
Ok, I will find out tomorrow. Do you know what it is supposed to do to the PDK programming?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
mstams
Racer

Ok, I will find out tomorrow. Do you know what it is supposed to do to the PDK programming?
Nope. I assume they just worked some of the kinks out based on early usage/feedback. My airbag light came on yesterday, so I'm going to take it in and ask as well. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
lockmk
Track Day

Default PCM update

hlee,

how long did the dealer take to update the software? I have to take mine in as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Default Picked up the car today

Nope. I assume they just worked some of the kinks out based on early usage/feedback. My airbag light came on yesterday, so I'm going to take it in and ask as well. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.
So I asked the service advisor about PDK update, and he said he has not heard anything official yet. He added that Porsche is working on improving the PDK programming, so I just need to be patient and wait.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by lockmk
hlee,

how long did the dealer take to update the software? I have to take mine in as well.
It should take less than 1 hour. Mine got delayed because their first disc is corrupted, so they have to order a second one to do the update. I imagine you could have waited for it to complete, unless there are other outstanding service bulletins on your car that they need to perform. Call ahead to check.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
mstams
Racer

So I asked the service advisor about PDK update, and he said he has not heard anything official yet. He added that Porsche is working on improving the PDK programming, so I just need to be patient and wait.
Sounds like they didn't know about the update mentioned in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html

I've got an appointment for Monday, so I'll see if my dealer says the same. My guess is that they won't know about it either...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Sounds like they didn't know about the update mentioned in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html

I've got an appointment for Monday, so I'll see if my dealer says the same. My guess is that they won't know about it either...
My impression from that thread is that the "PDK upgrade" is probably just the PCM software update. If PDK upgrade is available, I am sure that I would have read it on other forums.

One thing I did notice is that the dealer activated the XM Radio this time. I don't know if they have anything to do with the PCM update.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
mstams
Racer

My impression from that thread is that the "PDK upgrade" is probably just the PCM software update. If PDK upgrade is available, I am sure that I would have read it on other forums.
Just got my car back from the dealer after fixing the airbag light...

There is an update to PDK as reported in other threads. The dealer did not know about it at first but checked after my inquiry and the tech was able to download it to my car. Mine is an October 2008 build.

I can already tell that it does seem to shift smoother in 1st/2nd gears in auto modes. It also seems to hold 2nd longer in rolling stops where previously it would have jerked going in and out of 1st.

I never had any stalls or severe problems, but the jerkiness was a minor issue. My initial reaction is that the update does help this minor compaint as well.

I'll keep you posted with more driving. So far, so good.

Quick Reply: Took the car in for PCM software update