Sponsored by:

Pre-delivery questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pre-delivery questions

Ok, the car is at the dealer in Ohio (guess who?) and is getting picked up probably today for the ride home to SC. The car has the Ventureshield installed, prepped, etc. All upgrades loaded. Roadtested. They have taken a great interest in getting this car completely ready for delivery! Not just your typical buy, detail/wash, gas n'go home! Anything else to ask Chris before it's leaves the dealership??? 'Clears' already taken care of!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

V1 cord hard-wired? Bring USB Chip with your music library on it (assuming Universal Audio). Make sure dealer performed a 4-wheel alignment (they all tend to come terribly out of whack). My dealer wanted to wait for some break-in miles for the 09 to "settle". You should have seen the settings from the factory - pretty bad, but not as bad as my 07 came.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
Ok, the car is at the dealer in Ohio (guess who?) and is getting picked up probably today for the ride home to SC. The car has the Ventureshield installed, prepped, etc. All upgrades loaded. Roadtested. They have taken a great interest in getting this car completely ready for delivery! Not just your typical buy, detail/wash, gas n'go home! Anything else to ask Chris before it's leaves the dealership??? 'Clears' already taken care of!
Make sure the IPOD cord is in there if you got the IPOD option.

Look for any scratches.

With the venture shield, make sure the kit was done right and it lines up.

Enjoy your ride, it's a beautiful color and will be a huge upgrade and change from the m6. Glad you went CAB instead of Boxster S. More room to enjoy the ride.

Oh, just oen more thought... Make sure they give you the front license plate holder even if the car does not need a front plate.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on alignment. for the life of me i can't understand how they can be delivered out of alignment but mine was and i hear that all the time.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
jk335
Instructor

This might sound like a dumb question, but could you not be aware your car is not properly caliprated? They drive so well, maybe the un trained or newbies to the brand might not be sure.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Yes, if out of alignment you may not know until you go onto the track or until 10k miles later when tires aren't wearing properly. Both new 997s I purchased were checked and both were out of Porsche specification and were re-aligned to proper specification at no charge. Everyone I know that has checked has been in the same boat. Not to say the car won't drive OK and perhaps even have good handling and reasonable tire wear...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to hammer Chris on the price a bit more.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I'll give him a call and get all of these things or maybe he has seen them already!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

If you bought it from Stoppie, it probably has about 700 miles on it by now!

You know his tagline: "in yer Porsche, drivin' you crazy"

How he manages to "test" the cars so thoroughly and still text in all these posts is amazing! Must be multitasking. . .

Okay, kidding.

For real: TEST THE IPOD CONNECTION. I brought my iPod to the dealer to have them show me and the cable that came with the car created a bad electronic sound. They switched the cable out with another one and all is good.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
... Make sure dealer performed a 4-wheel alignment (they all tend to come terribly out of whack). My dealer wanted to wait for some break-in miles for the 09 to "settle".
Doesn't it make sense? Drive say, 500 miles and have the alignment done then?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Probably makes it easier to justify - that the customer had the car and noticed it was "pulling". On my 07, the dealer took care of it right away, on my 09 a different dealer asked me to drive it between 1000 and 2000 miles (break in) and then have it done to let the car "settle". Not sure any car actually settles, but it does make sense to wait a little while. So, when I went in at 1900 for break-in oil change, they did the alignment.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Not all the car have an alignment issue upon delivery. Don't get the idea that that's as common as some say.

When I drove mine in Europe (Euro delivery) I got the sense of how it handled. When the car arrived in the states weeks later the handling was the same. I assumed (correctly) that nothing had changed enroute. A couple years later, when it was time to replace all 4 tires, I checked the alignment, and it was still spot-on with the factory specs. These are Porsches,--not delicate little toys.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My alignment on my 09 was way off. Camber was ok not really exact but toe was stupid off...like they just eye site aligned the car.

My 07 was off too but not as bad as my 09.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

I had my M6 4 wheel aligned on the last set of front tires from my local indy. Cost was only 50 and what a huge difference. The car totally handler better, etc. If necessary, it will be done there. The new car is special, I wanted something out of the ordinary. i was originally looking at a C4S cab and there was one that was paint to sample, but the atlas C2S cab had the options I wanted.
I know so far they have upgraded the PCM, roadtested by Chris (not 500miles!), some upgrade on the PDK. They found my car has SCP plus...don't know alot about that. The car was obtained from another dealer. It has alot of options, I know it has the ipod, universal adapter,xm, etc. It doesn't have PSE or LSD? I know the Ventureshield was perfect from what he told me and I also added the Lojack, wasn't sure if needed, but not expensive to install and it's there forever. Thanks for all of the input! Now, bring it on!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jk335
Make sure the IPOD cord is in there if you got the IPOD option.

Look for any scratches.

With the venture shield, make sure the kit was done right and it lines up.

Enjoy your ride, it's a beautiful color and will be a huge upgrade and change from the m6. Glad you went CAB instead of Boxster S. More room to enjoy the ride.

Oh, just oen more thought... Make sure they give you the front license plate holder even if the car does not need a front plate.
did you buy a car?????

Quick Reply: Pre-delivery questions