Sponsored by:

Took the car in for PCM software update

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 AM
lockmk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM update

took my 997.2 C2S to Stevens Creek in San Jose this week for the PCM update. No fuss, 1.5 hours and a nice quiet place to work upstairs while I waited...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lockmk
hlee,

how long did the dealer take to update the software? I have to take mine in as well.
Word of caution when taking it in for "software updates". A PCM update alone won't do this but sometimes things don't work out and they take it one step further: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...is-at-all.html
Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 AM
SY-997
Instructor

I took my 997 to Stevens Creek Porsche today for the delivery detail (I was too impatient the day I bought my car and just drove it off the lot). I asked them to also check my alignment (it was within spec) and to upgrade my PCM and PDK. I was told that they must get email permission from PCNA to perform the upgrades, which they can't get unless there is a problem reported to them. I guess they don't try to fix it if the customer ain't saying its broke, which I suppose makes sense.

Sorry for the newb question - I couldn't find it in the PCM manual - how do I get to the screen that tells me the release number for PCM 3.0? And how can I figure out my build date if I bought the car off the lot?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams
Just got my car back from the dealer after fixing the airbag light...

There is an update to PDK as reported in other threads. The dealer did not know about it at first but checked after my inquiry and the tech was able to download it to my car. Mine is an October 2008 build.

I can already tell that it does seem to shift smoother in 1st/2nd gears in auto modes. It also seems to hold 2nd longer in rolling stops where previously it would have jerked going in and out of 1st.

I never had any stalls or severe problems, but the jerkiness was a minor issue. My initial reaction is that the update does help this minor compaint as well.

I'll keep you posted with more driving. So far, so good.
Thanks for the info. I do run into the occasional clunk when in sports mode with PDK at auto and coming to stop from 2->1, quite annoying, so looks like I could benefitted from this upgrade too.

So I guess I would complain to my dealer about this, so they could justify to Porsche for the PDK upgrade.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SY-997
I took my 997 to Stevens Creek Porsche today for the delivery detail (I was too impatient the day I bought my car and just drove it off the lot). I asked them to also check my alignment (it was within spec) and to upgrade my PCM and PDK. I was told that they must get email permission from PCNA to perform the upgrades, which they can't get unless there is a problem reported to them. I guess they don't try to fix it if the customer ain't saying its broke, which I suppose makes sense.

Sorry for the newb question - I couldn't find it in the PCM manual - how do I get to the screen that tells me the release number for PCM 3.0? And how can I figure out my build date if I bought the car off the lot?
INFO->Option->Set PCM->Display->System Version, and voila, you have the system version. As for the build date, I got it from my service manager. Mine is Jan/09 build, and I had the original 1.1 version.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:24 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Thank you. I checked and have version "V." I'll keep my eyes open to see if the new version fixes bugs that matter to me....

Quick Reply: Took the car in for PCM software update