Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
I have seen my fair share of Porsche hate. I recently moved out to the suburbs and have noticed people eye balling me more. I am not a really "friendly" driver either, so I guess I invite the odd middle finger. I do feel I can be an ******* when driving sometimes, but hey I didn't get to where I am in life by being nice to everyone. I am just being myself. This is who I am. If your not pissing off someone, your probably not very successful. Some people find success annoying.
So you drive like an ******* but blame the reaction on the car? Makes sense.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by sdw999
ou L.A. people may correct me if my observations are off base.
i grew up there.
in LA, you ARE what you drive.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you fellas are correct and turning this into some political discussion is poor form, and boring.

but i'd like to point out the classic (and persistent) difference between the two sides;

posts #34 and 44 lament policy

post #42 is laced with ad hominem

just an observation, no need to discuss any further.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
South Florida is much like that, too. LA is the only place I've ever been which is even MORE car-conscious.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
you fellas are correct and turning this into some political discussion is poor form, and boring.

but i'd like to point out the classic (and persistent) difference between the two sides;

posts #34 and 44 lament policy

post #42 is laced with ad hominem

just an observation, no need to discuss any further.
Great, now I need a dictionary to follow what is going on here.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a timely thread, that is what happened to me over the weekend.

i took my kids out to fishing in the park. on the way, got yelled by a mini-van since i am driving too slow, (i didn't feel to rush to approach the red light), on my way out of the park, got yelled by a honda full of teenage "u are the worst driver ever". i am not sure why, maybe becuase i was slow backing out from parking lot, then again, it's sunday afternoon in the park, kids were running around, i didn't want to drvie too fast.

both cases i simply waved to them, instead of mid finger. but when my kids asking me why people behave like that (they are 6 yr and 4 yr), i told them some times ppl are jealous about other ppl, and do stupid things. So it turned out to be a good opportunity to have some talk with kids.

Yesterday, when filling gas in a not so nice area in town, a guy driving a Toyota came to me asking about which year it my car, and we started the conversation, talking about the gas-mileage, etc. I even showed him the engine is in the back.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
i grew up there.
because everybody lives in rental appartment?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pl

i took my kids out to fishing in the park. on the way, got yelled by a mini-van since i am driving too slow, (i didn't feel to rush to approach the red light), on my way out of the park, got yelled by a honda full of teenage "u are the worst driver ever". i am not sure why, maybe becuase i was slow backing out from parking lot, then again, it's sunday afternoon in the park, kids were running around, i didn't want to drvie too fast.

both cases i simply waved to them, instead of mid finger. but when my kids asking me why people behave like that (they are 6 yr and 4 yr), i told them some times ppl are jealous about other ppl, and do stupid things. So it turned out to be a good opportunity to have some talk with kids.

Yesterday, when filling gas in a not so nice area in town, a guy driving a Toyota came to me asking about which year it my car, and we started the conversation, talking about the gas-mileage, etc. I even showed him the engine is in the back.
you're a good dad! never let a "teaching moment" go to waste.

but you've touched upon what makes the most sense to me and seems to irritate others sooo much;

Physics says that across the engine's operating range there are some points that are more efficient in terms of power vs. fuel consumption, but in a modern engine the tuning is so precise that the deviations aren't terribly large. whether you start out fast or slow at a light makes far less difference than the other end, how much braking you employ. most drivers use way too much brake and just waste all that energy. they charge right up to a red light and then brake hard. when i see a red light that obviously will still be red when i get there i let off the gas and coast. this pi$$es off many folks however and they make faces, rude gestures and some even pass me to jump right back in front so they can race up to the red light and stop. makes no sense.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pl

Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but you got two negative reactions while driving and one positive reaction while parked. It could be (stress, "could") that you're actually a bad driver. With that said, I've never heard of someone complaining about a Porsche driver going too slow...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but you got two negative reactions while driving and one positive reaction while parked. It could be (stress, "could") that you're actually a bad driver. With that said, I've never heard of someone complaining about a Porsche driver going too slow...
it's my daily drive for 3 year, and i've never got any neg. comments until last Sunday. maybe those guys reading this thread too?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
mental dental
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdw999
Hmmm, snow tires on an RS? Pot holes? Perhaps I would need to work some sort of GTS+RS deal at my dealership. Then I could have two Porsches for the A-Holes around here to trash.

You are very nice to accommodate people by letting them get up close and personal with your RS. I'm not sure I could be that friendly.
Snow doesn't seem to be a problem for this GT3 driver ( not saying I'd be able to do this!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcK9X...eature=related

Pot holes aren't fun, seen the ones in NYC that look like they could swallow cars whole.

I don't let everyone up close or in the RS; but if people come up and seem genuinely interested and want to have a look I don't have a problem. Nice cars do get keyed round here, I know friends with Aston Martins and Range Rovers that have had it done; and those cars are both built locally; so can't have been xenophobia.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Wow !! I'm worn out just reading all these posts. Life is much too short to agonize over this kind of stuff. Remember, the folks keying cars and shouting insults do it to get under your skin. Based on some of the posts here it sure sounds like they're succeeding. Don't Worry - Be Happy, as the song goes, and just be content with the fact that you're not one of them. Now, my therapist says all I have to do is keep repeating this over and over to myself and I'll get over my desire to mount a bazooka on the front of my car.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pl
because everybody lives in rental appartment?
This is quite true. I just returned from LA / Beverly Hills again and
I cannot believe the number of people and type of people who
are driving 911's, Range Rovers, MB, BMW's, Maseratti's, Bentley's,
etc., etc., etc.

It seems to me the average household income in LA is somewhere
around $42k - $45k. Heavy loans, perhaps --

I enjoy living in the Midwest where we actually pay for toys.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by At Law
This is quite true. I just returned from LA / Beverly Hills again and
I cannot believe the number of people and type of people who
are driving 911's, Range Rovers, MB, BMW's, Maseratti's, Bentley's,
etc., etc., etc.

It seems to me the average household income in LA is somewhere
around $42k - $45k. Heavy loans, perhaps --

I enjoy living in the Midwest where we actually pay for toys.
What do you mean by "type"? Just curious. I grew up in L.A., so I love to hear the points of view of those who didn't...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Nobody seems to notice my new Cab. Kids wanted to race my Cayman S all the time. My wife drives a LE Boxster S and the fast and furious crowd come out of nowhere to race, but then find it's a "girl" driving and they move off, but people are complementary of the car and the color! Haven't had any "haters" here in S. Florida, but as another poster said, there are plenty of cars around higher up the ladder than Porsches. MB SLs are everywhere and are practically invisible.

Quick Reply: Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!