Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Stockton
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just point out to the offending party that they should have stayed in school and then enjoy the rest of your day in your well deserved reward.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
This is quite true. I just returned from LA / Beverly Hills again and
I cannot believe the number of people and type of people who
are driving 911's, Range Rovers, MB, BMW's, Maseratti's, Bentley's,
etc., etc., etc.

It seems to me the average household income in LA is somewhere
around $42k - $45k. Heavy loans, perhaps --

I enjoy living in the Midwest where we actually pay for toys.
I am not making any generalizations, however, the West Coast
does seem to have a lot of bartenders and waiters driving
BMW's and Benz's.

I am simply saying if you see a Porsche or a Range Rover in
the heart of America, it is usually, if not always, paid for
with actual cash--and I mean cash. Not a debt to liability
ratio, or another creative financing method.
I mean $100 bills.
That's how we sleep at night around here.
do you actually believe this dribble?

btw, do you even own a porsche? you certainly seem to have an opinion on who should not.

news flash: the person in 90210 driving a bentley who looks like a waiter or bartender may in fact be a waiter or bartender, or he may just fit your image of one. in any regard, if she's having fun in her car, good for her.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendorenn
do you actually believe this dribble?

btw, do you even own a porsche? ....

Does he own a Porsche?

Surely you jest.

He makes $400 an hour as an attorney.

He previously told us so.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM
sdw999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not making any generalizations, however, the West Coast
does seem to have a lot of bartenders and waiters driving
BMW's and Benz's.

I am simply saying if you see a Porsche or a Range Rover in
the heart of America, it is usually, if not always, paid for
with actual cash--and I mean cash. Not a debt to liability
ratio, or another creative financing method.
I mean $100 bills.
That's how we sleep at night around here.

Uhh, open mouth, insert shoe store. Seriously, I live in the Midwest. AND, I tend bar. Now granted, I am the GM of the club that I work, but I still bartend 4 nights a week. I know several people who are Duke graduates, and I make a great deal more than they do. Perhaps they are more "intellectually wealthy" than I, but in the long run, what really matters?

Some of the girls I have working for me routinely take home between $500-$800 cash a night. Not dancing, but simply slinging drinks. The club is not an "adult entertainment" club. I know that is chump change to many of you corporate professionals, but still a decent living.

I would be very careful making generalizations about the bar business, especially in L.A./West Hollywood, 90210, etc. Take a look at the houses above Sunset Plaza, or up Beverly Glen Dr. That area makes the north burbs around here look like a shanty town, and I'm sure many of the bartenders out there can pay for their rides with ease.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geof
I do get aggressive driving actions from others in their BMWs, VWs, Volvos (yes really), pickup trucks, mini vans (for the love of God WTF are they thinking?), and so forth, which has been discussed at length elsewhere here. I just let them pass.
LOL it's the DC area it does not matter what you drive people here are just aggressive drivers.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
peterm
Racer

its very easy to prejudge- just looking at who is driving what here in NYC is quite deceiving. What you may expect and what actually is can be very different. That being said most of the pcars seem to have "professional" type drivers in the am commute- weekends are a different story. One would assume those that use the p car as a daily driver are more likely lawyers/ drs etc who may have more secure parking arrangements and perhaps less opportunity to enjoy the car on weekends hence use it as a daily driver. Serious car fanatics use theirs on weekends, unusual to see someone in a golf shirt / ts hirt enjoying their car on the way to work!- again all generalities
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

one thing i dont like about cab, is at stop light everyone seems to want to talk to you... i am young so they usually criticize me or just say stupid rude things... once i got windows tinted it helps... windows up at light with top down.. not very many comments...

not saying i hate talking to people, but when im on my cell or somethingand the guy next to me is calling me a ****** or trying to get my attention to call me a puss for not buying the turbo... gets kinda annoying.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Surprisingly, my last encounter was positive. I was filling up the turbo and a guy came up to talk. He asked the usual questions, but also made some very polite comments about what a nice car it was.

On the road, it's a different story. a fair amount of aggression from people who want to race. I just don't look at them and they go away.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
simplysql
Instructor

had a guy in a plumbing truck pull up beside me the other day - told me he loved Porsches, and that he thought they looked best in yellow (my car) - made my day!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

...and yesterday, while filling up, one older gentlemen told me that he used to have a Speedster,--and wishes that he kept it! And another guy said, 'I had a 911 twenty years ago." I replied,--so did I! I find they bring in more friendly conversation,--but this is California, where there appears to be less of that class stuff, at least on the surface.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
...and yesterday, while filling up, one older gentlemen told me that he used to have a Speedster,--and wishes that he kept it! And another guy said, 'I had a 911 twenty years ago." I replied,--so did I! I find they bring in more friendly conversation,--but this is California, where there appears to be less of that class stuff, at least on the surface.
Wouldn't you say that Santa Barbara is a pretty mellow and car neutral coastal town?

You might draw real questions in SB with a classic Donnie Peterson 9' wood board strapped to the roof.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
jsmirand
Racer

A new Audi A8 pulled alongside on the freeway today as I was going about 75MPH (the speed limit in this section of I-10 in Arizona) and gunned it forward clearly looking to match wits.

I ignored him of course, and continued enjoying top down motoring at 75MPH as he barreled forward.

For the most part though I haven't experienced any negative comments in the past two years, just an occasional driver wanting a response.

I actually recall getting more provocation during travel to Florida while driving a crappy Hertz mustang v6 rental.

John
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
A new Audi A8 pulled alongside on the freeway today as I was going about 75MPH (the speed limit in this section of I-10 in Arizona) and gunned it forward clearly looking to match wits.

I ignored him of course, and continued enjoying top down motoring at 75MPH as he barreled forward.

For the most part though I haven't experienced any negative comments in the past two years, just an occasional driver wanting a response.

I actually recall getting more provocation during travel to Florida while driving a crappy Hertz mustang v6 rental.

John
Good story! last fall i was dropping the kid off for his 1st year in college which happens to be in the central Vermont (Norwich). Tooling home in my 968, a guy pulls up in a modded S4. Goads me into rollon test and at a speed that wasn't prudent I slowed and he kept flat out. My little 4 banger wasn't even close. 5 miles later a VT. state policeman has him over and I tooted as I went by. I laughed like hell.

People really like that car and I always get positive comments. THe 997S is another story, I get snears. There are few of them around here and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
BINGO !! Well said bro.
No one listens to me Keith. If they did it would be a better place.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Does he own a Porsche?

Surely you jest.

He makes $400 an hour as an attorney.

He previously told us so.
Firm charges $400 or gets $400/hr from firm?

Quick Reply: Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!