Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recieved nothing but very nice praise, especially from the black guys when I drive through the nation's second most dangerous city, Baltimore. They appreciate a nice car!

I although sometimes I think I'm a douche for driving a porsche...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think these verbal or even physical attack are directed at Porsches specifically. I have had my beat up baby Benz egged while parked in front of my friend's house. Those angry people just want to take it out on anybody they can find.

By the way do most of you have another car that you take to places such as busy strip malls flooded with loose shopping carts? We have a Toyota van that get driven everytime for grocery hauling. Sometime careless individual will ding cars just because they don't care.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steph280
By the way do most of you have another car that you take to places such as busy strip malls flooded with loose shopping carts?
No!

I drive it everywhere. It's just a car! Plastic, metal, glass and rubber, all of which can be repaired. I say drive it like you stole it everyday, everyhere.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Sadiq
Pro

if it's "just a car," why are you spending your time posting about it on the internet?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Sadiq
Pro

if it's "just a car," why did you spend 3-5x the amount you could have gotten a Scion for?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sadiq
if it's "just a car," why are you spending your time posting about it on the internet?
It's a nice, beautiful and fun to drive car. Yet still, its's a car and it can be repaired. I simply choose to take it everywhere instead of leaving it home so it won't get scratched. That doesn't mean that I don't love it!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
if it's "just a car," why did you spend 3-5x the amount you could have gotten a Scion for?
I think much of the "it's just a car" is the poster's way of stating that he also wipes his a$$ with $100 dollar bills.

To put things in perspective, the median car price in the USA is $25,500. The median house price is $160 K (and falling?)
The average salary is about $45K
There is no way a person of average means could own or justify a new 911.

There is nothing ONLY about a car that costs more than the house that many are happy to be living in.

Those of you that own such a toy should thank their favorite Deity that they are lucky enough to have one.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
ChipmunkBob
Track Day

>>Those of you that own such a toy should thank their favorite Deity that they are lucky enough to have one. <<

Amen Bruddah!!

I do every day.

=B=
Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to think of mine as "just a car" too. I'm careful with it but I don't obsess over it. About a week after I bought my first Porsche my wife drove over a praking stop in it. This was the first time she had driven it. I was standing right behind the car watching. She was so scared I was going to be upset that she just got out of the car and ran away crying. I was more upset at seeing her reaction than I was over the car. I try to keep it in perspective so that my wife doesn't have to live in fear.

I've had nothing but positive reactions about my cars so far.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Thankfully, all comments so far have been of a positive nature. *Many* "Nice/Awesome/Great/Cool" car. No negs that I have heard. And I get a comment from somebody nearly every time I drive it.

Few weeks ago, I was shopping at Whole Foods (naturally!? haha), and upon returning to my car to leave, a guy walked up, motioned me to open my window, and told me to "be more careful parking next time". He then explained he was walking to his car minutes earlier and saw a shopping cart being blown by the wind towards my door and he ran over and intercepted it!

For all the azzholes and haters, there are many more decent people.

Of course I try like hell to drive very courteously and earn karma points by letting people in/out of traffic and turns.

But I can certainly imagine being in an area of slackers and the "entitlement" types and catch a negative comment.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
I try to think of mine as "just a car" too. I'm careful with it but I don't obsess over it. About a week after I bought my first Porsche my wife drove over a praking stop in it. This was the first time she had driven it. I was standing right behind the car watching. She was so scared I was going to be upset that she just got out of the car and ran away crying. I was more upset at seeing her reaction than I was over the car. I try to keep it in perspective so that my wife doesn't have to live in fear.

I've had nothing but positive reactions about my cars so far.
Agree 100% I also say, "it's just a car." And by that I mean that it's less important to me than other things in life. While certain a very nice, expensive car, I drive it because I love driving it...so I drive it everywhere and get the maximum enjoyment out of it. I would get no pleasure out of obsessing over it. I take care of it, like I do anything I own that's nice, but I enjoy the hell out of it every day. And I'm extremely thankful to have had the opportunities I've had that enable me to afford it. And if someone close to me were to damage it, I know they would be mortified because they know how much I love it, but I also hope they know that they're way more valuable to me than my friggin' car. That's what I, personally, mean when I say "it's just a car."
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fred2
I think much of the "it's just a car" is the poster's way of stating that he also wipes his a$$ with $100 dollar bills.

To put things in perspective, the median car price in the USA is $25,500. The median house price is $160 K (and falling?)
The average salary is about $45K
There is no way a person of average means could own or justify a new 911.

There is nothing ONLY about a car that costs more than the house that many are happy to be living in.

Those of you that own such a toy should thank their favorite Deity that they are lucky enough to have one.
Obviously you have no idea what I meant when I said it is just a car. I am very thankful for my car, which by the way was less than $50k. Of course I take care of it and enjoy talking about it on this forum. Most of all I love love driving it. I don't sweat the small stuff, I drive it everywhere and hope others are nice to it, but I don't stress over it. Everything on the car is replaceable or repairable. In my profession I see suffering every single day, often the kind that is not repairable. Maybe that gives me a little diferent perspective of whats important. By the way I don't whipe my *** with $100 bills, I have a decent house and one car to drive. You probably shouldn't assume anything about those you don't know.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Agree 100% I also say, "it's just a car." And by that I mean that it's less important to me than other things in life. While certain a very nice, expensive car, I drive it because I love driving it...so I drive it everywhere and get the maximum enjoyment out of it. I would get no pleasure out of obsessing over it. I take care of it, like I do anything I own that's nice, but I enjoy the hell out of it every day. And I'm extremely thankful to have had the opportunities I've had that enable me to afford it. And if someone close to me were to damage it, I know they would be mortified because they know how much I love it, but I also hope they know that they're way more valuable to me than my friggin' car. That's what I, personally, mean when I say "it's just a car."
Originally Posted by jgriffCS

Glad to hear i'm not alone. I thought they were going to hunt me down there for a minute for saying it's just a car. Obviously you two understand exactly what I meant. Great car, love driving it, take good care of it, but don't stress over the chances of it getting scratched or dented. Besides, it's way more fun to drive than to look at.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
peterm
Racer

ultimately it can come down to garage queen vs daily driver- I think we all obsess a little- some more than others. It really is just a car- in some ways yet what it represents to the owner may transcend that and that etherial quality is open only to personal interperation. What each of us values is what matters to our own vehicle and situation. I think those that hear "its just a car" perceive that comment as demeaning the value of the porsche as a represenation of transportation- rather I would say a porsche owner that says that has come to terms with his purchase and chooses not to obsess with dings and scratches or swirl marks. None of us are more or less of a porsche owner
Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

It's just a car.

Quick Reply: Feeling the Porsche hate lately? .... Hey Douche!