Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would i regret pdk carrera without sc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the car I picked had it...otherwise I would not care!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Here's my thought--first, SC should be standard equipment. It likely would be on anything other than Porsche.

I would want it because (a) it does change the driving experience, (b) anything that does (a) is worth it versus all the other options on Porsches that do nothing to enhance the driving, and (c) even if you will never use launch control, that's a feature that may make the car easier to sell when you're ready for your next Porsche (e.g., as a pre-owned Porsche buyer, I would want SC).
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Let me also add that besides my C2S I dove a PDK equiped C2 and C2S at the Porsche Sport driving school. neither car had SC and both were outstanding on the track.... I still can't find a need for Sc
Interesting, but not surprising. Americans are option junkies. I wonder how well SC sells on PDK equipped 911's in Europe?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
That's the confusion as 2 dealers told me that LC aside, SC does NOT make a PDK car "faster".
I am hear to tell you they are wrong...again as I said SC+ makes the PDK shift faster and more positive in both manual and auto mode.

Still those that do not have SC+ still have not answered my question...how do you all that do NOT have SC+ say you do not miss it? You've never experienced it or lived with it.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am hear to tell you they are wrong...again as I said SC+ makes the PDK shift faster and more positive in both manual and auto mode.

Still those that do not have SC+ still have not answered my question...how do you all that do NOT have SC+ say you do not miss it? You've never experienced it or lived with it.
Since you want an answer, I did experience it in a Carrera 4S during the test drives in deciding what I wanted in my car. While it did shift faster, it simply wasn't important enough to pay for and put up with that ugly wart in my dash. I like the clean lines of my interior without it.

I don't plan on going to the track in my car. I don't plan on selling my car until it reaches 200K plus miles, so the resale "hit" at that level isn't going to matter to me. I'm not going to street race or push the envelop on public roads.

Porsche build a incredible car that can be tailored to your wants and needs. Some of you want the SC option, can't live without it. Others, like me, see it as a nice to have, but it's not the end of the world if the car doesn't have it. The same debate rages over PDK vs. manual. Each of us have the opportunity to find or build the car of our dreams with Porsche and each of us will build it differently. At least we have the opportunity.

In the mean time I'm simple enjoying the fact that life has been kind enough to allow me me to finally drive an incredibly well built car with amazing handling. Could it be better? Sure, but I am happy with what I have. Be sure to honk and wave as you blow by my doors on I-4. Hope you enjoy your days at the track!

Peace

Last edited by wwilliams88; 05-18-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
stevebmd
Racer

mdrums....most of us are informed enough to have at least test driven the various iterations of the cars we buy. During a test drive, for that 30-45 minutes behind the wheel, it is hard to tell if something like sc will make a difference or significantly change the experience after the initial new car thrill dissapates. To assume that those of us who are considering a purchase or who have purchased cars without sc havent experienced it, may be erroneous. You can miss out on soemthing if you have experienced it but do not live with it on a daily basis...and that is indeed my question.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

In my own experience, it is the days after buying/leasing a car that I tend to notice all the different things about car's engine response/finer handling points, finer transmission subteleties etc. that I cannot seem to figure out all of them in a 30/60 minute test drive

once you live with the car for a few days or weeks you seem to get a complete picture
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
stevebmd
Racer

my point exactly...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casaforte9
In my own experience, it is the days after buying/leasing a car that I tend to notice all the different things about car's engine response/finer handling points, finer transmission subteleties etc. that I cannot seem to figure out all of them in a 30/60 minute test drive

once you live with the car for a few days or weeks you seem to get a complete picture
You are totally correct. After owning my M6 for a few weeks, I wondered why did I buy this car? anyway, I was perusing 6speed online and noted a thread where a guy bought a car and complained it was too light in the front after owing it for a few hundred miles. He came from a BMW where most cars are 50:50 weight distribution, etc. I noticed the same driving the C2s, but I will have to get used to the Porsche feel again. I miss it!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Guys...I am just saying.....you can not knock what you really have not experianced.

Anyway but what you want...I did! I enjoy the performance gains on SC+ with PDK. I use this option at the track all the time. On the street not so much because I do not drive spirited on the street, however I do use regualr sport mode on the street all the time. I also tend to manually shift PDK on the street and especially at the track.

Quick Reply: would i regret pdk carrera without sc?