Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would i regret pdk carrera without sc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default would i regret pdk carrera without sc?

i know its been beaten to death...can anyone speak from ownership about the "launch code" cars....
i have been quoted a great deal on one....conflicted.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would regret driving around with out a "I bought my Caaa from Stoppie!" plate frame.

What? I'm just sayn.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by stevebmd
i know its been beaten to death...can anyone speak from ownership about the "launch code" cars....
i have been quoted a great deal on one....conflicted.
Jack, er jilmd can. he's a gass passer, so watch out. ((((smelly)))
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think you would. Are you considering the aqua blue launch car?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
stevebmd
Racer

drjmk, pm sent
Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

launch cars are nice. almost bought one, as you, on an excellent deal

SC+ is a great toy however. "normal" is a little too possessed about gas mileage, but still jumps appropriately when goosed. seems to take back the helm a little too soon when you override too.

"sport" is nice and moderately agressive.

"sport" + is really of little use unless you're trying to scare passengers/run from the cops (or just rev the pi$$ out of the motor for whatever reason). the new engine has so much TQ

what i'd like to know is where in this range do they set the non-SC+ cars?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
launch cars are nice. almost bought one, as you, on an excellent deal

SC+ is a great toy however. "normal" is a little too possessed about gas mileage, but still jumps appropriately when goosed. seems to take back the helm a little too soon when you override too.

"sport" is nice and moderately agressive.

"sport" + is really of little use unless you're trying to scare passengers/run from the cops (or just rev the pi$$ out of the motor for whatever reason). the new engine has so much TQ

what i'd like to know is where in this range do they set the non-SC+ cars?
And to answer your question Steve, unless you want to track the car, I think you can do without SC. You can drive the car just as aggressive as SC cars. The only caveat is that once you stop driving the car aggressively, the tranny may go back to "Lexus" shifting. 7th gear at 30 mph in no time. You can shift the gears yourself, but that may get tedious after a while.

Last edited by jlinmd; 05-15-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wacky work computer...Damn Windozzzze
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Launch Control... a true waste

the salesman was very nice and told me he wanted to drive it first to show me the trans. so i'm doing right-seat (which i hate in any car) and he's showing me the differences in the modes and shifting back and forth between them so frequently that even though i understand in principle, since i'm not driving i really can't titrate them myself. so now he says, "let me show you the Launch Control". I say, "no thanks really, i'll never use it and it's abusive for no real reason". but the man is on a mission so he sets it up and burns out (i was cringing!!!).

now he's proud, and let's me drive. well the first thing i do is just put it in "normal". he keeps reaching over and playing with the SC buttons and i keep setting it back to "normal". he's saying, "don't you want to see how it goes"... i told him that 95+% of the time i'll be in traffic so i wanted to see how it acted.

this is one tough car! one of only two (Lotus) that you can just drive from the showroom to the track and let her rip without fear of breaking something (OK, guess we're back to one), but LC is a real abuser and i don't even know why P bothered. was there a groundswell of demands for this? does anyone really use it?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 PM
stevebmd
Racer

funny my salesman did the same exact thing....but ask one to do that in a six speed...? never.
nothing drives me crazier than car salesman who fiddle with car while i am driving....
Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I am a performance junkie with in my means and a track junkie so SC+ is a must for me. However I never use it on the street but then again I do not drive agressive on the street either.

I would say it all depends on your personality...for me SC+ is a must no matter what. Although I have only used Launch Control 2 times just to check it out...it is a good way to get yourself into trouble on the street and totally usless on the track.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
stevebmd
Racer

so my question is really will i miss sport mode if i get a pdk sans sport chrono? i am not tracking it and wont ever use launch control. Does the normal mode shift via paddles/buttons quickly and does it blip throttle in a down shift?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

so my question is really will i miss sport mode if i get a pdk sans sport chrono? i am not tracking it and wont ever use launch control. Does the normal mode shift via paddles/buttons quickly and does it blip throttle in a down shift?
shifts faster than any human, and 98% of the time smoother, even without SC.

was just out playing with it. even if you're trolling along 7th, if you mash it, it will shift to second and wail. very smooth

"sport" clunks a bit into first, don't know why it just doesn't wait till you stop, but it's tolerable.

the question i asked above was related to the issue that i can't tell you where they biased a non-SC to up/down and how quickly. but i'm sure it will be good!

haven't driven a street P in almost two years. forgot how cool they are to drive!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am a performance junkie with in my means and a track junkie so SC+ is a must for me. However I never use it on the street but then again I do not drive agressive on the street either.

I would say it all depends on your personality...for me SC+ is a must no matter what. Although I have only used Launch Control 2 times just to check it out...it is a good way to get yourself into trouble on the street and totally usless on the track.
a Steeler in Buc Country huh?

do you find SC+ really "works" at the track? can you do better? the GM at the dealer is a true racer and he says you can run in "normal". it catches on quickly. what have you found?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes normal mode and sport mode blip (rev match) on down shifts. the spot PLUS mode just does it even faster and it relaxes PSM even further. Just get the Sport + mode so that you are not sorry and wish you had it.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
a Steeler in Buc Country huh?
we're everywhere...

Quick Reply: would i regret pdk carrera without sc?