Sponsored by:

Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono

Getting a great discount on dealer stock 911 PDk targa , sport seats etc but without Sport Chrono

Test drove it, automatic mode is good as long as you have the accelerator pressed down and if it is not, shifts into higher gears quickly

Manulal mode is not bad at all and blips are good enough

But wana make sure if SC is a must with PDK as I didnt feel it as required and also one of the demo cars has SC and in Sport mode the throttle was little jumpy

Any feedback from PDK owners without SC?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

PDK w/o SC is a big mistake. That's why they are discounting it heavily.

OTOH it's a Targa, the slowest, heaviest 911, so it may not matter.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
PDK w/o SC is a big mistake. That's why they are discounting it heavily.
I don't think it's a big mistake at all. If you plan to track the car and set your shifts at 6500, then, yeah, having SC is helpful.

But as I understand it, if you plan to use your car strictly as a street car then PDK w/o SC should be fine, as you can shift whenever you want to manually with the buttons, or leave it in automatic mode, which will work just like any other PDK car equipped with SC when left in automatic mode.

But that's my understanding, unless there's something else to be gained in street use with SC that hasn't been noted.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
But that's my understanding, unless there's something else to be gained in street use with SC that hasn't been noted.
The new launch control--I believe you need PDK with Sport Chrono to get it.

If that is confirmed, I think it is a mistake not to get SC with a PDK. It's analogous to a Turbo not being equipped with SC (which permits overboost and consequently increased torque.....in the 997 turbo).
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

since i would never track my car, only reason i would want SC is for LC, and although i would naturally have LC, without knowing the terms of the deal offered it's hard to evaluate. i mean, how many times are you really going to use LC? unless, you're one of those types that feels the need to put every maxima, mustang, etc. that pulls up next to you at a light looking for a race in its place.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LC is overrated, but the two SC profiles are not.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt LC wear out the tranny quickly? I know the nissan gtr had (has?) issues with this, and i also realize that nissan != porsche, but still
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by InTheAir
The new launch control--I believe you need PDK with Sport Chrono to get it.

If that is confirmed, I think it is a mistake not to get SC with a PDK. It's analogous to a Turbo not being equipped with SC (which permits overboost and consequently increased torque.....in the 997 turbo).
Nope, I disagree. It is not at all analogous to over boosting a turbo which increases power output. For ordinary street driving Sport Chrono seems like a waste to me.

jjl here says it best:
Originally Posted by jjl
i mean, how many times are you really going to use LC? unless, you're one of those types that feels the need to put every maxima, mustang, etc. that pulls up next to you at a light looking for a race in its place.
If the OP's getting a good discount on a Targa and he doesn't plan to drag race nor track this car and his interest is mainly in having a daily driver with an automatic transmission for normal street driving then he can't go wrong in taking advantage of this deal.

And for those tempted to bring up the resale argument, that argument becomes moot when you realize that the discount is being taken up front and absorbed by the dealer. The OP will only be passing on that discount should he decide to sell later.

If I were the OP I would use these pro SC arguments against the dealer to try to get an even better discount, considering the weak economy and the slow sales of high ticket items.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

I agree LC is overratted - nice gadget to show off to your friends but its not something you are ever going to use in normal day to day driving. Dont buy SC just for LC....

However you need SC on PDK to get the sport mode and sport+ modes! Without these even when driving in the fully manual mode the gear changes just arnt as quick or as punchy. I drive my PDK car in Sport mode all the time - without it I find the gearbox even more automatic like and I really dont like it.

If you dont mind PDK feeling full on like a Tip automatic then a car without SC is fine. If you want the benefits of PDK over Tip then you really need SC even for the road.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDK without S/C drives like an old slug doing a Dean Martin impersonation - slow, smooth and slurry. You need the "Sport" and "Sport +" settings for it to drive like a Porsche.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Le Chef
PDK without S/C drives like an old slug doing a Dean Martin impersonation - slow, smooth and slurry. You need the "Sport" and "Sport +" settings for it to drive like a Porsche.
So your PDK is without SC?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

SC and PS+ really bring out the 'wow' factor on a PDK car.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Negotiating 15-18 K off MSRP on 09 Targa , it has manual sport seats , very supportive and comfy and they adjust easy and go down low
Car is not for tracking, Actually during test drive PDK in D mode downshifted from 6 to 2 when I punched the throttle , In manual mode shifts were fast but the blips were not pronounced as one would have in Sport mode but very smooth in manula mode without SC

car does not have self dimming lights , is it that useful?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
56truluck
Intermediate

I got a great deal on a base coupe without SC. Although I would like to have SC for the sport and sport + modes, I have no regrets. My car is a 365 day a year DD and I love it. I agree that in normal mode, PDK upshifts quickly but I still love the car and the transmission. I enjoy manual mode when I want to push the car but I don't track the car and get great performance from the PDK. You really need to take a good test drive of both cars -with and without SC, to decide how important it is to you.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
56truluck
Intermediate

Do you mean self-dimming mirrors? A nice feature but not a must in my opinion. I have power seats, heated steering wheel and seats, bose, xm radio, Pdk, bluetooth and the self dimming mirrors. The only option that was a must have for me was the PDK which I fell in live with during the test drive. I liked the SC but got a much better price on a car without it. With the discount difference, I would have been spending an awful lot of extra money for an option I liked but did not feel was essential to my enjoyment of the car. I searched this board about this subject during my pre-purchase research. I think most PDK owners would tell you to get a car with SC. Again, it depends on your own feeling about what you will most enjoy about the car. For my purposes, I liked the PDK, even without SC to a manuel which was the other option I strongly considered. again, I have absolutely no regrets.

Quick Reply: Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono