Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 07:27 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I am getting a PDK car and really don't mind if it doesn't have SC. I had SC on my 997.1 and I really did not ever use it. I am not going to track my car, so, for me, it doesn't make much of a difference. Now, no XM and I will not be happy! So, to each his own. I would think someone who is a serious track driver would probably, not all the time, drive a 6 speed anyway. I know the PDK and SC are awesome on the track, but I am sure many are using 6 speeds!
I would not opt for XM if I were buying a new Targa, as they stuck the antenna "pimple" right on the front of the roof just above the windshield. It looks horrible there. I can't believe they couldn't have come up with a better solution. While the location of my self-installed XM antenna may not be optimal for reception, it performs well enough for me and is barely noticeable to most people.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 10-15-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2009 | 07:30 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Nope

Originally Posted by OCBen
So your PDK is without SC?
My S/C is without PDK. And in this instance is a waste of money for sure.
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:01 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Why not drive em both and decide? Any dealer with a darn would let you take em home for the night.

IMO the PDK is just a fancy automatic without the SC but thats why they make em with and without so you can choose.
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Is this a serious post? It can't be.

Are you seriously arguing that mass has little to do with straightline acceleration?

Maybe above 100mph your point is reasonable, but from a dead stop, you bet your *** it makes a difference. Assuming equal traction, gearing, and engine performance, the lighter car is always faster.
Of course mass matters for straight-line acceleration, but it can be easily compensated there with a larger engine like a turbo. My point was that mass is always a problem on twisty roads even with powerful engines. Mass is bad always and added mass on top is worse.
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:21 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MFC996
Yeah and you're not even married dawg !!
That's the only reason he thinks that this will ever happen! Keep dreaming!
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:12 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
that's why I am not replying and I am ignoring his response!
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

lol

Old 05-11-2009 | 09:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by MFC996
Yeah and you're not even married dawg !!
You think one has to be married to be going through that? LOL

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
You better!!!

Just sent ya a PM!!
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:17 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
You think one has to be married to be going through that? LOL

You better!!!

Just sent ya a PM!!
just kidding....sending some PM's your way!
Old 05-13-2009 | 01:02 AM
pbsaz
Intermediate

I orginally purchased my 997.2 base coupe without the sport chrono but due to an issue with the car returned it and got one with SC. I never use the launch control but always use the sport setting. I think there's a world of difference, at least in the base coupe, when you get the SC option. I highly recommend it but you should drive both and get whatever you enjoy.
Old 05-13-2009 | 08:21 PM
jlinmd
Racer

PDK is adaptive. You can "program" your shift points to higher RPMs if you drive a non-SC PDK car more aggresively. Gear changes, up or down, are smoother but not as quick as Sport and Sport Plus modes. If you drive a non-SC PDK car gingerly, then it'll be in 7th gear in no time. I've driven my PDK/SCP car in non-sport mode and was surprised how flexible the tranny is. If you punch it, it will willingly shift at 6000 or higher in every gear. So if you're not going to track the car, I'd say non-SC PDK should be fine for a daily driver.

I've used LC a few times and that was it. There's really no need unless....there's just really no need for it on a daily basis.
Old 05-13-2009 | 08:49 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlinmd
PDK is adaptive. You can "program" your shift points to higher RPMs if you drive a non-SC PDK car more aggresively. Gear changes, up or down, are smoother but not as quick as Sport and Sport Plus modes. If you drive a non-SC PDK car gingerly, then it'll be in 7th gear in no time. I've driven my PDK/SCP car in non-sport mode and was surprised how flexible the tranny is. If you punch it, it will willingly shift at 6000 or higher in every gear. So if you're not going to track the car, I'd say non-SC PDK should be fine for a daily driver.

I've used LC a few times and that was it. There's really no need unless....there's just really no need for it on a daily basis.
does the car not 'learn' your driving habits? The SMG in the M6 does and it ****fs based on my driving style.
Old 05-13-2009 | 09:26 PM
boxrbus
Intermediate

From Porsche's website...

Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference. In conjunction with PDK, includes Sports Plus button in center console to activate launch control function (Race start).

I personally enjoy having the added features that are customized for each key fob. My wife has her settings, and I have mine!
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:41 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jlinmd

LIAARRRRRR!!!!

That car is coming back off of lease 'smoking' with the wheels fallin off and draggin part of the exhaust!!

You know you're a 'street racer' when you're go'n to the hizzz-UPity-OL!!

bastid!
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:43 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

does the car not 'learn' your driving habits? The SMG in the M6 does and it ****fs based on my driving style.
Yes jennifer. It'll have your glass of "red water" waiting for you after a hard day at the office!!

(and NO, the dealer in CA didn't call me back about the PTS car)

ring me up tomarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooowwwww

Quick Reply: Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono