Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would not get PDK without SC. Forget about LC, that's a rarely used fun novelty item. The SC is all about the sport and sport plus mode. As others have said, even in manual mode, the shifts are much quicker in the sport modes. Driving the car in auto mode on the Sport setting is actually fun. In auto mode on the standard setting it is dull as hell, it's all about fuel economy in that mode.

Discounts are available for all of these cars. You can get a discount on a PDK with SC as well. I think you will get hurt really bad in the used market on a PDK without SC.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by saltydawg
I personally would not get PDK without SC. Forget about LC, that's a rarely used fun novelty item. The SC is all about the sport and sport plus mode. As others have said, even in manual mode, the shifts are much quicker in the sport modes. Driving the car in auto mode on the Sport setting is actually fun. In auto mode on the standard setting it is dull as hell, it's all about fuel economy in that mode.

Discounts are available for all of these cars. You can get a discount on a PDK with SC as well. I think you will get hurt really bad in the used market on a PDK without SC.
Exactly!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by saltydawg
I think you will get hurt really bad in the used market on a PDK without SC.
How so? See Post #8.

Originally Posted by boolala
Don't be misled by what you read on this forum. There is an incredible amount of conceit hidden in even the most benign appearing posts and recommendations.

Typical advise is 1) go for the S instead of the base model 2) the S has a higher residual value 3) never get a tip no matter what unless you only have one leg and one arm (one person here has to continually apologize for driving a tip (now PDK) by explaining that he has only one leg) please give me a break. 4) get a clear bra for your car 5) Even the friggen' color of your side markers is an issue of contention--it should be clear and not orange.

Oh and there's more, much more....
Add this one too: 6) Don't get PDK without Sport Chrono!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

We have a targa 4s in stock with SC If you're interested lets see if I can save you some money.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

OTOH it's a Targa, the slowest, heaviest 911, so it may not matter.
The T4S is actually 55 pounds lighter than a C4S cab, so isn't the heaviest 911. And it is only 77 pounds heavier than a C2S cab. They each have a published 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds on the Porsche website, so the Targa4S isn't the slowest 911, and demonstrates that these weight differences have negligible effect on performance. In fact, the "slowest" models are the C4 and C4 cab at 4.8 and 5.0 secs respectively, obviously due to the lower power output.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
How so? See Post #8.

Add this one too: 6) Don't get PDK without Sport Chrono!
1) If you're only going to keep the car a few years, I'd say PDK w/o SC isn't a bad idea if it has it or not.

If you plan on keeping a car LONGER- why not explore it's limits and grow with the car. SC on a PDK equipped car is like your wife learning a new sexual technique.

Still the same wifey, but with a 'Hey now! That's different! Yay me!' effect.

Last edited by Likemystoppie?; 05-11-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
1) If you're only going to keep the car a few years, I'd say PDK w/o SC isn't a bad idea if it has it or not.

If you plan on keeping a car LONGER- why not explore it's limits and grow with the car. SC on a PDK equipped car is like your wife learning a new Blow Job technique.

Yeah and you're not even married dawg !!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
you could also swing (borrow a buddy's car) or pick up a hooker (rent a ferrari for a day)
Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
MattMDDC
AutoX

Have you actually settled on a price for the car? If yes.. How much below MSRP is the price?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
The T4S is actually 55 pounds lighter than a C4S cab, so isn't the heaviest 911. And it is only 77 pounds heavier than a C2S cab. They each have a published 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds on the Porsche website, so the Targa4S isn't the slowest 911, and demonstrates that these weight differences have negligible effect on performance. In fact, the "slowest" models are the C4 and C4 cab at 4.8 and 5.0 secs respectively, obviously due to the lower power output.
Mass (within reason) is not a concern for straight-line acceleration. Mass matters on twisty roads as it pulls the car sideways (and not in a good way). Mass also matters if added up top like in a Targa.

The Targa is a wonderful car and whoever owns one chose it for its functionality and of course understands the tradeoff.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Launch Control is a cute but useless feature. If you don't intend to run the car on the track, SC+ is of marginal benefit. If you are happy with the way it drives in auto and manual modes, don't hesitate. Plain Jane PDK is so much better than Tiptronic that there can be no comparing the two.

The one advantage of not having SC is that you avoid the wart on the dash which in addition to being ugly is essentially useless.

That being said my DD 4S has SC - but I am a track junky and I'll use it in preference to my RS when it rains - which last season was a LOT. That explains SC + Sport PASM etc.

Best,
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Mass (within reason) is not a concern for straight-line acceleration. Mass matters on twisty roads as it pulls the car sideways (and not in a good way). Mass also matters if added up top like in a Targa.

The Targa is a wonderful car and whoever owns one chose it for its functionality and of course understands the tradeoff.
Is this a serious post? It can't be.

Are you seriously arguing that mass has little to do with straightline acceleration?

Maybe above 100mph your point is reasonable, but from a dead stop, you bet your *** it makes a difference. Assuming equal traction, gearing, and engine performance, the lighter car is always faster.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

This weight/mass thing is getting off topic, and little too esoteric for me.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by keninirvine
This weight/mass thing is getting off topic, and little too esoteric for me.
but teh C4S is yellow witch r faster!11
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am getting a PDK car and really don't mind if it doesn't have SC. I had SC on my 997.1 and I really did not ever use it. I am not going to track my car, so, for me, it doesn't make much of a difference. Now, no XM and I will not be happy! So, to each his own. I would think someone who is a serious track driver would probably, not all the time, drive a 6 speed anyway. I know the PDK and SC are awesome on the track, but I am sure many are using 6 speeds!

Quick Reply: Getting a good discount on 911 PDk targa without Sport Chrono