Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADDING TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:58 AM
SILVER FOX
Rennlist Member

Default ADDING TPMS

I thought that my 2006 997S Cab came with TPMS as standard equipment, but have now discovered that it was an option that I did not order.
Does anybody know what is necessary to add factory-like TPMS to a 2006 997S? Is it simply adding valve stems, sending units and activating the on-board computer or is there more involved?
Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

It's the universe's way of telling you to trade in on a 997.2
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

You have just "now discovered" it was an option you failed to order on your '06 car???
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

And, just why do you want to add this to your car?
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Btw, the search function is working.

I suggest learning how to use it if you're looking for serious replies.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-delivery.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rket-tpms.html
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:13 PM
SILVER FOX
Rennlist Member

Default OC BEN & 1999Porsche911

OC Ben:
Thanks for your two judgemental replies. I started with the search feature, but noticed that these threads where quite old and might not reflect the latest information. I'm having my dealer check into it and if I learn anything, I will post it here.

1999Porsche911:
I recently lost tire pressure on I-5 and when the wheel went over one of the lane reflectors, it bent and cracked (I subsequently showed the wheel to Harvey Weidman, the preeminent Porsche wheel restorer in the US, and not even Harvey wanted to repair it) . Since 2006 997s don't have spares and only a can of sealer, I was stuck on the side of the interstate and had to be flatbedded. I now carry a 996 spare tire, but would like the added protection of the TPMS, to reduce the potential of another destroyed wheel.
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by SILVER FOX
OC Ben:
Thanks for your two judgemental replies. I started with the search feature, but noticed that these threads where quite old and might not reflect the latest information.
What two judgmental replies?

I simply repeated what you had posted to make sure I and everyone else understood your post correctly, that you had just "now discovered" it was an option you failed to order on your '06 car. Is that not what you said in your post? How could it be judgmental to repeat what you said?

Well if you had done a search you should have prefaced your post by saying so, and that you were wondering if there was any new information that had come to light since.

As it was, you got the kind of replies that a post like yours typically gets.

So don't put the blame on us.
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by SILVER FOX
OC Ben:
Thanks for your two judgemental replies. I started with the search feature, but noticed that these threads where quite old and might not reflect the latest information. I'm having my dealer check into it and if I learn anything, I will post it here.

1999Porsche911:
I recently lost tire pressure on I-5 and when the wheel went over one of the lane reflectors, it bent and cracked (I subsequently showed the wheel to Harvey Weidman, the preeminent Porsche wheel restorer in the US, and not even Harvey wanted to repair it) . Since 2006 997s don't have spares and only a can of sealer, I was stuck on the side of the interstate and had to be flatbedded. I now carry a 996 spare tire, but would like the added protection of the TPMS, to reduce the potential of another destroyed wheel.

What is judgemental about asking a question? You should look for thicker skin to wear. So, maybe I will make the question judgemental:

Why on earth would someone diiberately install another "sissy" control on their car?
Old 04-24-2009 | 03:22 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
You have just "now discovered" it was an option you failed to order on your '06 car???
I actually thought this funny - more joke than judgmental.

Now, a non-judgmental repeating of the OP's post would have left out the word "just", and the quotes around "now discovered" and the triple question marks...

But I still thought it was funny.

SILVER FOX, did you just recently have a tire pressure "event" with your car?

I do not have Porsche's TPMS on my 2005 C2, but instead a third-party tire pressure monitoring system. Not a sissy tool at all. Very handy for autocrossing and quickly checking the pressure on all four tires. Not as integrated and handy as the OEM TPMS display, but still does the job.

Last edited by useridchallenged; 04-24-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:23 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

TPMS saved my bacon out at Harris Hill Road last weekend. I ran over some debris or something which sliced my right rear, and I knew instantly (while still on the straight) and was able to slow down before entering a corner with the damaged tire. It might not be the most accurate when looking for overheating but it'll beep and let you know if you've got a puncture or underpressure much earlier than your buttometer will be able to sense a change in grip.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
Now, a non-judgmental repeating of the OP's post would have left out the word "just", and the quotes around "now discovered" and the triple question marks...
The quotation marks indicate that I am quoting the OP - that those are his words not mine.

The triple question marks are there to express incredulity at the OP's statement, to allow him to either rephrase it or let it stand as is.

The adverb just is there to focus attention on the OP's "have now discovered" part of his statement which led to the incredulity.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:50 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by OCBen
The triple question marks are there to express incredulity at the OP's statement
...and expressing incredulity is by no means a form of judgment.
Old 04-24-2009 | 05:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
...and expressing incredulity is by no means a form of judgment.
That is correct. It is by no means a form of judgment.

It's like asking someone to repeat a question simply because the way it's coming across sure makes it difficult to believe. Maybe they didn't mean to say that. And so you ask just to be sure so you don't make the mistake of misunderstanding him. There is nothing judgmental in asking someone to repeat the question. People misspeak all the time. And most people appreciate it when you give them the opportunity to restate a question, because they then often realize that it's not coming across the way they intend it.

And if he had restated it the same way he had originally stated it, I would have asked why he felt the need to have TPMS now since he apparently didn't miss it before or know that he didn't have it.
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:14 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

This thread has rapidly(instantaneously) progressed from its original intent to negativity and argument. Lets get it back on track or close it.

I have a similar question to the originator of the thread, can TPMS be installed on a car delivered without it? The referenced threads are old and uninformative. What exactly need be installed, aside from wheel sensors? This system was not available with early 2006 cars, mine included. Can it be retrofitted?

A response from someone who actually has knowledge of this would be most desirable.
Old 04-24-2009 | 09:12 PM
SILVER FOX
Rennlist Member

Michael L:
Just received a voicemail from Jesse Latin, my mechanic at Porsche of Reno (yes, a mechanic who actually researches issues and personally calls you back!). I was not here to take his call, but his message suggests that the later addition/integration of factory TPMS would be cost-prohibitive, in that it requires wiring from the vicinity of all four wheels plus transmitters etc.
I'll try to get the full requirements including costs next time I have a chance to stop and talk with Jesse in person and then will update this thread.

Quick Reply: ADDING TPMS