Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does the Chronograph Option

include on the 997.1?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

more knowlegable members can correct me if i am wrong but i belive its the chrono timer, and sport buttons which stiffen suspension and change around the torque, and exaust for higher performance.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

The "Chrono" timer is just a timer, and not a very good one at that. It is bundled with the "Sport" button as "Sport Chrono". The Sport button triggers a sharper throttle response and (if you have PASM) switches PASM into its stiffer range (but you could have done that seperately without the Sport Chrono option, by using the PASM button). The Sport button also raises the PSM threshold slightly, and allows PSM-OFF to remain defeated until BOTH front wheels are in ABS lock-up under braking (rather than just one). But that has nothing to do with the clock on the dash.

Basically the Chrono "wart" on the dash is just a lame cosmetic toy. In two years, I never found an actual useful purpose for that silly plastic clock on the dash... and I do a fair amount of track driving. It doesn't even tell TIME because it's not a clock. And to top it off, it's FUGLY.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It makes your car accelerate faster by removing weight from your wallet. Beyond that it's pretty much worthless unless the car is tiptronic. Sport mode on or off the car has the same horsepower, same torque, same grip, same brakes, and same driver.

In all seriousness, here is the post you want to read.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by indesj01
more knowlegable members can correct me if i am wrong but i belive its the chrono timer, and sport buttons which stiffen suspension and change around the torque, and exaust for higher performance.
The sport chrono option does none of the things you list. Suspension tuning comes from the PASM option. Exhaust tuning has no performance impact and comes from the PSE option. Sport mode does not change torque or horsepower or impact performance in any measurable way.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One thing that Porsche should have considered (or perhaps someone else, hint, hint) was to provide a true analog clock display that could be swappable with the chrono display. I would love to have a conventional clock with an analog display in that location, provided it had a matching lighting and display look to it. If tied into the other clock in the car it would be highly accurate (for those of us who have GPS navigation systems built in--the stock clock is updated by the satellite clock).
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you can get a 997 with just the Chronograph on the dash?

The car doesn't necessarily have PASM if the Chronograph is there, correct?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's correct. but that would be even more useless*. What's really needed is getting rid of the useless "wart", a "Half PSM" button, the "PASM" button for those that have it, and a separate button for PSE.

*Caveat: with PDK S/C does play a significant role in changing shift speeds and providing "launch control".
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Sport Chronograph Option is two(.5) things:

0.5) I do believe that the Sport Chronograph Option also provides some user setting ability of some things for the car that would otherwise require a dealer visit.

1) a chronograph (timer) on the dash that can be operated with the on board computer (OBC) control lever. It is a chronograph, not a clock. There is a difference.

2) The SPORT part of the option which integrates with some other options if you have them, and turn them on (such as PASM for example), and adjusts some operational ranges. For a 6spd, the electronic throttle response to gas pedal position is mapped differently to give you a more throttle at the lower levels of pedal extent (I think). For PDK, it gives you revised shift points. As others have said, there are also ABS/PSM tweeks in when things kick in in SPORT mode. So you get a SPORT button on the dash for this.

Some would prefer the SPORT part without the Chronograph part.

Quick Reply: What does the Chronograph Option