Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the motorist next to you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks for the note back....

Those are the experiences I seem to get more often then I would like from some people.... and the ones I will admit to being well, not the way I want to start a day. Thanks for sharing.... and well handled on your end of course just not reacting back...

and yes will admit, would love to sit that guy down and just ask "why?" ...... and get the real reasons for his actions...

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
I have to admit I was very self-conscious about driving my 997 in the first few months. Last year we had a long thread going about whether people felt it was appropriate to drive our highly visible cars to one's place of work during the economic crisis. That's different of course than experiences we have on the road, but related in the sense that, like it or not (and most will admit they don't object), our cars DO attract attention and elicit emotions from other drivers.

My experiences have been that the car gets noticed a lot, whether on the highway or in town. I have a cab so with the top down that effect is increased. The looks I get generally seem to me to be admiration or envy, with an occasional thumbs up - even from BMW drivers :-). Most other sports car drivers keep a respectful distance, and I always afford them the same. In 10K+ driving miles I have not had very many times when my driving was affected or impacted by the attention of others. If someone wants to play aggressive (even Corollas try to keep up at times), I usually let them pass. Sometimes drivers do weird things, but that's their problem - and it's usually not enough to affect my own travel. More of a momentary annoyance than anything. But perhaps that's just my own experience here in the Northeast.

This morning on the 6-mile back country ride I take before getting on the interstate, I was trailing an Acura TSX. We never got above 40 and I was never closer than 3-4 car lengths. I was totally minding my own business and in no hurry at all. For whatever reason he apparently thought otherwise. When we got very close to the onramp and were crossing the overpass, just 100 yards from my turn (but before I put my blinker on), he suddenly veered over to the right without signaling. I slowed way down, thinking something was wrong. The road was very wide so it wasn't a dangerous move, just a puzzling one. At the time I was those same 3-4 car lengths behind him, and I wondered if he had had a breakdown. The sudden move was annoying but nothing more. As I went by him I slowed and looked over. I put my blinker on and started to turn onto the highway. He then sped up, gave me the finger and beeped for about 5 seconds, making it obvious that he had pulled over in objection to my tailing him. Huh? If it had been a kid I might have understood, but it was a guy my own age (50s). I would say that entire annoying scenario was 110% his issue, probably triggered by his feelings toward having a fancy car trailing him for a few miles. Regardless, we do get reactions from others. It's how we deal with them I think that counts.

Gene
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickfluff
OK my last reply here to the Bongo band wagon buddies..... but this one has to be the funniest.... come on buddy, you honestly want people to believe this post?
I don't really care if you believe it or not, but I'm curious as to what possible motive I could have to lie about something so inconsequential on an anonymous internet forum. Some people genuinely don't care what other people are doing inside their cars. I don't see why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Todd - I hope that's a joke.Gene
No, it isn't I have an unrestricted concealed weapons permit. A few months ago I actually had some idiot follow me into a Rite Aid parking lot, fully wanting to fight me in front of dozens of shoppers because he though I cut him off. I happen to be 6'2" 220 pounds, and was driving my truck, yes he was short, a common problem us big guys have is short men constantly yearning to get their buts kicked by a guy twice their size.
Wake up, there's lots of crazy people out there, life is precious, and not everyone appreciates that.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You said "usually just let them go", so what do you do the other times?
I drop the hammer.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice....

smiled when I read this,,,, nice reply!!

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I drop the hammer.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

You choose to drive not acknowledging others on the road? I always keep my radar up as to what others are trying to do, especially while I am in my car. (in a safe way) Interesting way to drive.... For me a wave gets a wave back, as does an approving head nod and a thank you gesture if someone goes out of their way to allow me to flow into traffic or other. Have pulled up to people drinking beers while driving and make sure to stay a safe distance and have even reported the plate.... Ever pull over and help a motorist or to busy not paying attention to others?
I didnt say I dont pay attention I said I dont care what other drivers are doing as far as trying to keep up in order to make contact with me positive or negative. I used to get a heck of a lot more attention in my e30 M3 people used to always want to race that car in its heyday, I dont drive and own these cars so I can get reactions from other drivers.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

People can be total jackasses when it comes to Porsche (or other high-end car) owners. Especially as the economy tanks, people are angry and jealous. Here's a post from a few years ago when I first got my car which outlines my (in)famous Starbucks incident. Remember, I'm like 5' 7" so the guy was more than slightly intimidating.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...as-spirit.html
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phil G.
People can be total jackasses when it comes to Porsche (or other high-end car) owners. Especially as the economy tanks, people are angry and jealous.
So true, and good point about the economy. Most of the jackasses who would touch our cars and cause problems are the very people who benefit from OUR tax dollars. I don't know about you but I never get stimulus tax rebate checks.

It's dangerous out there, and there's very fine line between minor disrespect and all out chaos sometimes.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the funniest thing I've noticed is that the gas station attendant (NJ you cannot pump you're own gas. I believe a few other places have the same law) takes a little extra care and attention when placing the nozzle on the Porsche as opposed to my Saab.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in Law School, my girlfriend and I were driving my BMW 330i to meet a few friends at a restaurant which was somewhat outside of the
city and in a very wooded area. It was a nice winding road so I was
having a little fun with the curves.

It was getting towards dusk so I looked at the dash to see if I had turned
my lights on yet. As I flipped on the light switch, there was an old
pick up truck which was oncoming in the opposite lane. I accidentally
flashed my headlights while I was turning them on.

All of a sudden, this red neck in the pick up turns around quickly and begins
following us. He sped up and was right on my bumper. I immediately
knew he was following us so I sped up in order to lose him. He kept riding my bumper. All of a sudden the road turned into gravel, so I quickly stopped and
turned around and took off back down the road. The pick up kept following
me.

After about five miles, we were getting back into the city and the pick up
pulled up along the passenger side of the car and swung a golf club
at the window and hit the door--severely denting it. Luckily it did
not break the glass, as it would have hit my girlfriend.

When I got home, I was thinking about why this happened. I believe it
was the fact that I was in a BMW and had mistakenly flashed my lights
at a red neck who hates "rich kids" in foreign cars. It was his form of
fun for the night. Had I been driving a Z-71 pickup truck, I am certain
non of this would have happened.

Needless to say, my flawless BMW was damaged goods in my eyes
and it was replaced very shortly thereafter.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by At Law
After about five miles, we were getting back into the city and the pick up pulled up along the passenger side of the car and swung a golf club at the window and hit the door--severely denting it. Luckily it did
not break the glass, as it would have hit my girlfriend.
Very scary! I had a pick-up chase me down too when I was young, it's terrifying.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
chuckla
Racer

When I am driving, I pay very close attention to everyone around me especially the condition of their vehicles and the way they are driving. I rarely if ever look directly at their face or engage in "wise guy" driving (tailgating, sudden and close lane changes, failing to use my turn signals, etc). When I am crawling in traffic, I do not look at the faces of drivers beside me. Every once in awhile, I get tailgated or some idiot does something stupid (on the drive home yesterday on Canal Rd, guy with a personalized VA plate throws his lit cigarrette out of his open sunroof-I was pissed, not because I thought he was aiming at me but because it's littering of the worst type), but I never think it's because of the car. Drivers in this area are grossly incompetent and always distracted-it's them not me.

Mick, where do you live?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

My residential neighborhood is separated from the main highway by a 5-mile stretch of road with 2 lanes in each direction. There are 3 schools and 3 traffic lights on that stretch of road, and it's part of my daily commute. Just yesterday, with my 7 and 5 year-olds in the 997, as I started from a stoplight in the left lane, a Dodge Ram truck behind me came right up on my rear bumper, then swerved over to the right lane and cut in front of me within inches of my front bumper. All this with no one in front of him in the right lane. All I thought of was "why?" Was I moving too slow for him, or was it the car? This is someone that lives in the same neighborhood as me. His kids might even be in the same school or class as my kids. Heck, they might even be on the same baseball team together. What in the world could be his motivation? That sh*t just pisses me off to no end.

My daily driver is a sedan, and I hardly ever experience this kind of hostility on that road.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
The "Massholes" in Massachusetts are by far the worst, most aggressive drivers this side of Europe. So, it's an even playing field out here, regardless of what you're driving. The most dangerous vehicle on the roads is a private plow truck speeding to his next job, they'll push you off the road & leave you for dead, no joke.
Beyond that, I carry a gun everywhere in case some moron has something to prove and follows me into a parking lot.
I can't help but agree. Massholes are a cross between Italian and Arab drivers. You absolutely NEVER make eye contact in a rotary (traffic circle) because that means that you concede to their right of way.

Who cares? Concentrate on your driving.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Massholes are a cross between Italian and Arab drivers.
What is it about Italian drivers in Europe? When ever I go the French Riviera specifically between Nice & Monaco you see them driving dead center on the dividing line of a 3+ lane highway taking up 2 lanes. You really have to see it to believe it.

Quick Reply: What does the motorist next to you think?