Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the motorist next to you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 AM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find myself in the same boat as mickfluff - who started this thread. I've noticed that I get tailgated quite a bit, regardless of speed, while in the Pcar as compared to my non-Pcars...and I mean aggressive tailgating (intentional?). I just get out of the way and let them pass.

On the other hand, it's nice to meet people who pay compliments while gassing up or in the parking lots. We strike up conversations, and it's a good opportunity to demonstrate the PCA mantra...that we're friendly people, and not the stereotypical snobby people others think that are the owners/drivers of such nice cars...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who gives a F$&%
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

I thought a little more about this on my drive to work this morning in my Saab and realized prior to getting my Porsche, if I saw one on the road I would drove close to it just to admire it from my car. It was pure jealousy. Wishing I had one. Now I do have my own so I don't know if I'm driving next to one in my non-Pcar what I'm going to do.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default advice

Pulling up safely for a look is OK, have this happen a fair amount and easy so far to me to make the distinction between the two very different types of appoaches.... I do the same when I see a nice car on the road, pull up for a look etc....

My advice would be .....Don't tailgate them aggressively, no dive bombing and do not pull up next to them and give them the finger.... unless of course its the poster in this thread that seems to enjoy this and pays no attention, then your OK....... Your certain to get absolutely no reaction from him what so ever. Sorry could not resist................

Looks like many have had some nasty experiences.... My hands down worst was fathers day a yr or so back with my son in the back seat strapped in.....(near 2yrs old) I got on the highway in my 997, first car behind me speeds up and comes up feet from my bumper..... tailgated the moment I got from on ramp onto highway.... I was in the slow lane and with child in car so yes was going slower then the limit at near 63mph not 65 (but mind you was in slow lane), then the person pulled next to me, stared at me, I looked over for a second and thank god I did as at that moment he actually swerved at me forcing me to the shoulder rumble strip break down lane....man was in his 60's, small compact car, blue blockers on and all.... I swerved, slowed and dialed 911 which rendered useless, they were no help (think they get these calls a lot).... and told me to get off at next ramp and stay away from him....hard to take their advice but with son in care it made it easier to do.

I wrote down his plate and all, was planning to hunt him down and repay the gesture x 1000..... I do not think he saw my son in the back seat at least this is what I convince myself.... (if I knew he did I fear I would not have been able to refrain from hunting him down, yes I admit that) I was furious for days... then did the smart thing and tore up the paper with his plate # and tried to forget it ever happened....(last 4 digits are 4494 but have since forget the first two and thankfully so) To this day still my blood boils over remembering this event mainly because I think what could have happened to my son.

I know I did the right thing letting this event go, but even a year later skill upsets me....

To those that posted.... who cares.... wait till something like this happens to you with a son or daughter in the car (and sincerely HOPE it does not) and bet you a million to 1 you will care....

Originally Posted by MJPereira
I thought a little more about this on my drive to work this morning in my Saab and realized prior to getting my Porsche, if I saw one on the road I would drove close to it just to admire it from my car. It was pure jealousy. Wishing I had one. Now I do have my own so I don't know if I'm driving next to one in my non-Pcar what I'm going to do.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I've not experienced problems with other drivers, other than a couple of teenagers feeling the need to show how fast their cars are. Seeing Todd's post with his weapon reminded me of this video clip about a couple of rednecks harrassing a couple in a BMW. Very entertaining. Be sure to watch to the end.
Ok...this video was entertaining, but disturbing at the same time. If the couple didn't have a gun, they would've gotten their *** kicked and their car damaged by the red necks. That was a dead-end dirt road, and obviously the couple knew exactly what they were doing - to lead them to a dead end and scare the **** out of them by pulling out a gun on them.

Now...the question is, how do I get a concealed weapon permit??????????
Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
My hands down worst
I don't have as much patience as you.

My worst was leaving the Wrentham Outlets a couple years ago close to closing time on a weekend, it's a crazy traffic jam. Well, 3 gangster looking Black guys cut me off on purpose based on what I was driving. Being me, I just don't have patience for disrespect, so I yell, "out what the F are you N doing."
The next thing I see is their trunk open and all three get out to grab guns in the trunk. IT"S ON. My Wife is scared to death, both of us are thinking, why the hell did we leave California where this kind of crap actually happens to face it in New England? I immediately dialed 911 and gave the details with plate info. The thugs looked around at the hundreds of people watching in the parking lot, and me on the phone and thankfully got back in their car and sped off going the wrong way to exit the mall in a hurry. It was literally seconds later that cops were swarming that area, and I assure you that when they caught up with them, guns and long criminal records would be found.
What I said to them may well have been stupid, but we cannot allow thugs control our way of life and make us choose where and when we enjoy activities.

I did not have a gun on me that day, and it was the last day I questioned the need to carry. Carrying a concealed firearm can be a pain based on size of the weapon, your comfort, and clothing to conceal it. These factors are why I generally choose to carry my Seecamp .32. As you can see from the photos it sits in a wallet style & size holster that fits in any pocket, this makes it very easy to take anywhere. There is no "printing", it looks like a wallet in your pocket.

Reading the posts on this topic it's clear that many of our most life threatening experiences brought upon by others occur while in our vehicles. Protecting our safety and the safety of our family is paramount. To those who don't think a terrifying incident will happen to them, your wrong it will at some point as thugs come in all colors and live in all areas.

Also note: all these issues with other drivers are heavily magnified in a CAB.
Attached Images    
Old 04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Now...the question is, how do I get a concealed weapon permit??????????
This is the best part. If you live in areas where you really need one, like Boston & and the immediate suburbs, forget it. Criminals are the only ones that have guns, one of the huge problems living in a heavily Democrat area. Law abiding citizens have to call the police, but often it's too late.
Ironically, if you live in areas of Massachusetts with a more Republican base, and of course being so, there is little if any serious crime, they hand them out like candy.

In California it's almost impossible to get a CCW. I don't know about other states, other than it probably gets easier when you get away from the coasts which tend to be liberal. Basically Democrats support the rights of criminals, not law abiding citizens. This should not come as surprise to anyone. So, check the area you live, and if it's 50% or greater Republican, you might have a shot at getting a CCW.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

You need to lighten up and buy some thicker skin (armor) You actually notice the faces of people behind you?

Or maybe just move to Ca?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Todd, this country is full of nutcases. I carry a loaded .45 in my Shelby GT500 whenever I drive out of town. Working towads adding a Porsche 997S and couldn't give a rats *** about anyone who gets jealous. If they follow me into a parking lot, i'll be ready.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh and hey, My name is Nick...I think you guys have an awesome site here.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Originally Posted by todd.
This is the best part. If you live in areas where you really need one, like Boston & and the immediate suburbs, forget it. Criminals are the only ones that have guns, one of the huge problems living in a heavily Democrat area. Law abiding citizens have to call the police, but often it's too late.
Ironically, if you live in areas of Massachusetts with a more Republican base, and of course being so, there is little if any serious crime, they hand them out like candy.

In California it's almost impossible to get a CCW. I don't know about other states, other than it probably gets easier when you get away from the coasts which tend to be liberal. Basically Democrats support the rights of criminals, not law abiding citizens. This should not come as surprise to anyone. So, check the area you live, and if it's 50% or greater Republican, you might have a shot at getting a CCW.
Unfortunately you cannot get a CCW in the fine state of NJ, reserved only for Police, State Officials and Security Guards.

When I go to the gun range, I'm also required to keep my gun and ammo separate in different areas of the car (i.e. gun in the trunk and rounds in the back seat). A bit of a pain but probably for the best so we don't have a shoot out at the OK Corral.

Also, much like my car my pistols are European as well. I have two SigSauer pistols (9mm & .22)
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJPereira
Unfortunately you cannot get a CCW in the fine state of NJ, reserved only for Police, State Officials and Security Guards.
I wish we lived in a country where we would not need to have to even consider personal protection. The liability of carrying a weapon is overwhelming. I always walk away from conflict when carrying. You cannot justify brandishing a firearm for a fist fight, or anything but an imminent threat against your life where the other person has a weapon. Once you take it out, plan to use it.

German guns are the best. Although, I just got a S&W M&P Compact 40 that gives my SIG 45 a real run for accuracy.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
jackolo
Advanced

Wow, hearing some of this stuff makes me happy I live in my city. It's boring and quiet but I doubt concealed firearms are a real concern up where I am... well... yet anyways.

Normally people just look and smile or give the thumbs up... and the occasional Kia or Dodge Avenger try to race me. Although yesterday night I had some douche in the passenger seat of a yellow IS300 hang half out his window and give me the middle finger. I was doing the speed limit driving 3 cars length behind him.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I find the gun culture in this country completely bewildering. Putting aside your right to have firearms (which I don't dispute), I really doubt you all lead such dangerous lives that need to carry guns, or that such guns make you materially safer.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
FWIW, I find the gun culture in this country completely bewildering. Putting aside your right to have firearms (which I don't dispute), I really doubt you all lead such dangerous lives that need to carry guns, or that such guns make you materially safer.
+1

After a stressful event, it's very hard to find all your brass before you split.

Giant can of Grizzly Bear Mace and 22 oz. sheet rock hammer... sol' ya' need.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: What does the motorist next to you think?