Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the motorist next to you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
+1. I don't even look at other drivers. Everyone on the road could be giving me the finger on my way to work every morning and I would have no idea. All I care about is what their car is doing. Now, if they vocalize their disappointment with my vehicle choice (which has happened exactly twice in 4+ years of ownership), that's a different story.

I don't look either. Who cares. Lead follow or get the f*ck outta the way baby
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

I think you'll find areas with high concentrations of foreigners drive more aggressively because that's how everyone drives back in their country. My family is from Portugal and people drive like maniacs over there and on a recent trip to Morocco, lanes are a very loose interpretation based on the driver and how many cars/mopeds/buses can fit side to side. I was on a two lane road with 10 vehicles of one sort or another passing each other. On either side you had a bus passing a car who was pass a guy on a moped who was passing two people on bicycles. It was mayhem.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What does the motorist next to you think?

Man that old dude has all his hair.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Years ago we use to live in a place called Simi Valley...those days there were alot of rednecks with pick up trucks. One day in a parking lot my wife's Mercedes would not start because of a bad battery and as this truck guy walked by he said in a loud enough voice for us to hear "next time should by American". I yeld out at him..." I did...its a Delco battery, should have bought Bosch". It may be envy or stupidity but now that the economy is doing poorly we might see alot more of this kind of crap.
abe
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
Years ago we use to live in a place called Simi Valley...those days there were alot of rednecks with pick up trucks. One day in a parking lot my wife's Mercedes would not start because of a bad battery and as this truck guy walked by he said in a loud enough voice for us to hear "next time should by American". I yeld out at him..." I did...its a Delco battery, should have bought Bosch". It may be envy or stupidity but now that the economy is doing poorly we might see alot more of this kind of crap.
abe
Abe....... rural Simi Valley?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I lived in Boston (Charlestown and Arlington) for two years and the best way to describe it was Traffic Anarchy. Even the cops are nuts. Once went straight from a left only lane near the Museum of Science at 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning and a guy pulls up next to me waving and screaming, I tried to speed away from him and he speeds up and tries to cut me off, finally I notice he is waving a badge and ID. Turns out it's a cop on his way to work who realized, after I stopped that he was a little over the top. Ended up apologizing to me once he got his composure back after yelling for about 30 seconds. Of all the places I've lived Boston was the worst for driver etiquette
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by todd.
The "Massholes" in Massachusetts are by far the worst, most aggressive drivers this side of Europe. So, it's an even playing field out here, regardless of what you're driving. The most dangerous vehicle on the roads is a private plow truck speeding to his next job, they'll push you off the road & leave you for dead, no joke.
Beyond that, I carry a gun everywhere in case some moron has something to prove and follows me into a parking lot.
Sure, that gun may be okay for some basic self defence, but if you are serious, you should get a real gun.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Sure, that gun may be okay for some basic self defence, but if you are serious, you should get a real gun.
Too funny.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by p997s123
I sold my red 997S and leased a white MB C 63 AMG. I do not remember anyone messing with me in the Porsche but the Mercedes attracts idiots like I have never seen! Just my experience.
This is your first post.

Why would someone who just sold their P-car suddenly join a P-car board?

Just curious.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

The only time I have a problem with ohters on the road is when someone obviously wants to race me. They pull up on my passenger side fender and slow down making sure I see them in their drivers seat. Most of them are BMW's and Audi's or some Honda with a supercharger. I just stare straight ahead. No racing for me. When they see that I'm not going to race they call me everything in the book. There are others who give me the thumbs up or the congratulatory gesture that is filled with compliments. You have to make conscious thoughts out there. Most importantly you can not make any rash decisons that could cost someone their life or yours. We should enjoy our cars and drive them with the same fortitude that it took for us to aquire them.

Jay
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow, some of these stories are pretty scary. I've never had an issue for the last 8 years of Porsche ownership in the NJ/NY area but 2 years ago while driving through West Virginia 2 dudes in a p/u truck pull along side me on the highway and the passenger gives me the "I'm watching you" signal and I just laughed and ignored them. They passed me and that was it. Last Sunday afternoon a black Z06 was following me and tried to keep up but went straight when I made a left turn to go home. That was fun though....
Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Restless
Rennlist Member

If you had a chance to watch the last 'Supercar' on Speed, you got to see someone hang out of a sunroof of a mini van and make gestures at the car in front (being driven by Tanner Foust). The car in front... was a Cadillac! Buy American and everything.... still got a guy on camera going nuts because he didn't like the car in front.... And that was in Napa Wine region.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:46 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mussberger,
This happened around 1990 and back then Simi Valley,CA was "rustic" more than rural. This was a community of 100k...almost all white. Having an expensive foreign car was much less common than today. The town was mixed between rural and suburb. However, for the most part people were very down to earth and nice...it really was a "community". My wife and I used to joke around and say things like "look Margie, there goes one of those Mercy cars from overseas".
abe

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Abe....... rural Simi Valley?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by At Law
Needless to say, my flawless BMW was damaged goods in my eyes
and it was replaced very shortly thereafter.
You got rid of the car because the door got dented?

They can repair dents nowadys, you know.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
Mussberger,
This happened around 1990 and back then Simi Valley,CA was "rustic" more than rural. This was a community of 100k...almost all white. Having an expensive foreign car was much less common than today. The town was mixed between rural and suburb. However, for the most part people were very down to earth and nice...it really was a "community". My wife and I used to joke around and say things like "look Margie, there goes one of those Mercy cars from overseas".
abe
Here is one where I grew up. Tustin 1964
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What does the motorist next to you think?