agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

absolutely
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Pound for pound it is probably worth it based on what Porsche charges for those options. However it depends more on what your needs are and if you value the added features of the "S". If you don't then don't get the S. Not everyone needs 355 hp,bigger brakes,PASM and the lobsters (ugly and so are the white guages Imo). I do like the xenons but you don't need to get the S for that reason alone. I have have the base carrera with moderate options and I love it. If wanted to spend more I could have got the S but I didn't need/want that extra stuff and was glad I wasn't forced into having to pay more to get the S. I think resale is proportionate for both cars. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Thank you all for the replies.

The Non "S" that I have been looking at does have Xenons,
19" Classic Carrera Wheels, Bose, Heated Seats, Chrono, and is CPO'd.
It is not a basic Carrera "stripper," so to speak.

I have been searching for primarily the "S" models. However, after
looking around and driving both, the non "S" feels the same.
In fact, having a few less options, while still being fairly loaded,
may be nice as the car ages.
You say that car has 19" rims. Does it have PASM? PASM was optimized for 19" rims but the regular suspension works far better w/ 18" rims.

Last edited by ADias; 04-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inevitably, people recommend what they have, either because they bought what they like or because they spent $10K extra and don't like to think it was for nothing. FWIW, Excellence Mag. did a write up a couple of years back, preferrring the 3.6 to the 3.8, and the ordinary suspension to PASM. (They also recommended the PCCBs.) I have a 3.6. I'm not one to drive all that slowly, but I have never needed or wanted more torque or power. The ride is rough, esp on LA streets. I don't mind it, but some folks (particularly, no offense, older folks) will probably mind it quite a bit and prefer the PASM soft setting. Is it worth $5K for an S? Even a couple of years ago when I bought, an CPO'd S was only $5-7K more than a comparable CPO'd non-S, so I made my choice (and I could have afforded either). But, I guess, yeah, of course it is worth $5K, if you like the car more, want more power, 19s, PASM, xenons, etc. It's a lot of options for $5k, if you want them. You're paying $50K or so; so what's $5k more? For me, I like my basic Carrera a lot, would get one again, and will, God willing, get one again next time I am in the market. Of course, by that point, many of the S's gizmos and the like will come std., and I'll have no choice but to buy them.

Last edited by 997, esq; 04-13-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if youre asking now, remember that you might regret it later if you dont get one.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Nobody ever wishes they'd bought a smaller television.
I'm sure the person who did not measure right and gets home to find the new TV does not fit into the full-wall built-in shelving with the dedicated opening for the TV does. ;-)

I agree with many of the comments on this issue.

It depends on which specific model/year you are talking about, and what other options there are as well as 'do you need/want them'.

New, the diff between the base and S is $10k. On the 997.1 cars, if you got the base and added the 19" wheels and xenon headlamps, that got you most of the way to the $10k. There were other differences in the 997.1 cars that the S bought you.

For my 997.2 purchase, I opted for the non-S. The base came with what I wanted: 18" wheels and Xenon headlamps. I did not want 19" wheels and I didn't have any desire one way or the other, for the bigger 3.8l engine (which would probably cost a tiny amount more to insure and keep fueled, provide a nicer sound maybe, but provide me personally no benefit ).

So look at what the features on the cars are that you are comparing. If you wanted xenons and 19"s and would get that and the 3.8 and its better brakes etc on the 997.1, then getting that for under $5k may be something not to be passed up, but it sounds like there are other differences as well.

Its only the 'whole package' of the car's configuation that matters. A letter on the bumper and different engine alone isn't the whole package to look at.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes - Xenons, big reds, PASM... enough said.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I see it this way:

Is the cost diff between the S and the base justified? Yes. You get a lot more on the S.

I think though that this is not what people ask. What's on their mind is: Is it worth it for them? Only they can tell.

I find it interesting that people ask personal decision questions to mostly strangers all the time.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 PM
boolala
Race Car

And I'm willing to give marital advice to.

Just realize that it's worth exactly what you are paying for it; namely nothing.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:06 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Yep.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it interesting that people ask personal decision questions to mostly strangers all the time. [/QUOTE]

I believe that is the whole purpose of a forum--delving into the
genius minds of people in the know.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
akim47
Racer

just wanted to make sure.... is the difference on the S:

3.8L vs 3.6 (355bhp vs. 325bhw) on 997.1
Different Steering Wheel
Upgrade Brakes (Red)
Standard Bi-xenons
Standard 19" Wheels
PASM w/ Sports Package (Sports Chrono)

Am I missing anything?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you do get more for the price of an S, but whether that's needed or worth it, now that becomes entirely subjective. It's worth it only if you think so.

I think so.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by At Law
I find it interesting that people ask personal decision questions to mostly strangers all the time.

I believe that is the whole purpose of a forum--delving into the
genius minds of people in the know.
Forums are good to report experiences, provide technical advice, and such... but not for advice on strictly personal matters - e.g., is an S for me, can I afford this car, and so on.

The point of my reply is that the S vs non-S question always boils down to a personal decision. The answer to the technical/cost question is a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: Is an "S" Worth $5k More?