Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire make / Prices - 06 997S

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
simplysql
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 997 C4 came with PS2's - the rears lasted about 8K miles - new ones were over $300 each - $400 installed. I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta's and couldn't be happier. Also, just read the Car and Driver tire review - turns out Kumho and a couple of others beat the PS2's as far as handling, road noise, and wet grip are concerned. These cars go thru rear tires too fast to be making a huge investment - for me, twice a year. I figure if I buy a set that I don't like, I will wait 6 months and try something different.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simplysql
My 997 C4 came with PS2's - the rears lasted about 8K miles - new ones were over $300 each - $400 installed. I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta's and couldn't be happier. Also, just read the Car and Driver tire review - turns out Kumho and a couple of others beat the PS2's as far as handling, road noise, and wet grip are concerned. These cars go thru rear tires too fast to be making a huge investment - for me, twice a year. I figure if I buy a set that I don't like, I will wait 6 months and try something different.
I have also heard good things about the Kumho Ecstas. I was told these are super sticky for track use, so I can imagine they are more that adequate for street use.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Sids911
Instructor

I made a quick excel sheet. As you may have guessed, there isn't a black and white decision but a gradient of options. All the tires listed are great performers to start with - we're talking about a few rarefied contenders, so it's hard to go wrong here.

Name:  TireResults2009Q3.png
Views: 146
Size:  57.4 KB

Note: "Test Result" is the score obtained by Tire Rack's test method. Check them for test related details if you must ...

Result:
1. There are several tires out there which now out-perform the PS2. This isn't a surprise - the PS2's been holding the crown for a while.
2. Surprise: There are a few tires that out-perform the PS2 for less money.
3. Surprise: Some tires offer near-PS2 performance for FAR less money.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Jim Chambers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What about ride/road noise. My OE Continentals are loud and rough. I would like softer and quieter,even at the expense of performance.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim Chambers
What about ride/road noise. My OE Continentals are loud and rough. I would like softer and quieter,even at the expense of performance.
TireRack test results weigh in the wet performance, dry performance, ride quality and road noise all together. So the 'good' tires already factor that in ..

If you rate noise above everything else while staying within the 911 realm, I'd suggest you pick some of the few good rated tires and see the detailed report.

eg. The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

This one has good noise comfort as does the Yokohama I put in the above table. I'm inclined to stay away from the Kumho given their rather poor wet performance.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

I don't see 295/30-19 in Kumho Ecsta XS nor 235/35-19
Am I missing something or did they discontinued the size for 997S

Sids911, is there a reason why your table lists 17" tire sizes?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Me too. I bought a C2 rather than an S for the 18" rather than 19" wheels.

I put on a set of Yokohama all-season tires in the winter in case I get caught out in a unexpected snowstorm. They ride a bit better than the PS2's and are somewhat quieter, and just looking at them they will outlast a few sets of the Michelins. I believe I'll try a set of Bridgestones next summer.

Last edited by helispud; 08-12-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
dallison28
Pro

i have a set of htr z II on my boxster and it was somewhere around $600. They handle like a dream, BUT they seem to hate rain. My *** was all over the place on a damp road. I don't drive it in the rain, so i don't know how bad it would be.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone that would go to costco to have their tires mounted should be banned from this site permanently, as they clearly lack common sense and judgement!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Does anyone have any experience with the Toyo line? I'm running Toyo Proxes ll on my Cayenne Turbo (soon to be going toward a C4S) and find them to perform and wear well though noisy as they age...I suspect they all do.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I just today had a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's delivered to my house. I'll be putting them on the new wheels set to be here at the end of the month on my C2S and will report back. They have gotten fantastic reviews so far and are a fraction of the cost of PS2's....even if they are only 85% as good as the PS2's, they are 45% of the cost. I like that math.
I saw those tires just a couple days ago, nome of the reviews were bad but was not able to get any Porsche owners feedback. Please keep us updated from your experience.
I am not searching for a track tire but a decent weekend drive tire.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
mambodoc
Pro

The tire info here is great and appreciated. Is there a tire that people are running in warm and cold weather (not necessarily snow or ice), but cooler overall.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
mambodoc
Pro

I originally picked up Toyo Proxes for my Cayenne Turbo because the Michelin Diamaris were wearing like crazy and costing like crazy. The Toyos were used by a Swiss performance house to set an oval track speed record with a Cayenne Turbo. I figured how bad can they be. Toyo Proxes in 275/40/20 for $185 each versus $420 each for the Michelins. The Toyos were USA made and the Michelins were MEXICO made! I replaced the Proxes at 20K mi with the new design Proxes ll said to be less noisy. So far so good and thats haulin some weight !, (Cayenne as apposed to Carrera).
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Jim Chambers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cole328
Anyone that would go to costco to have their tires mounted should be banned from this site permanently, as they clearly lack common sense and judgement!
Banned from this site.......smacks of torture!
Do you really believe that the tire jockeys at your friendly neighborhood tire shop are vastly superior to those at Costco? Costco's workers experience and equipment are as good or better than most. Anyone who believes a Porsche requires a mechanical engineer to lift it and install tires should not be questioning the common sense and judgement of others.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Banned from this site.......smacks of torture!
Do you really believe that the tire jockeys at your friendly neighborhood tire shop are vastly superior to those at Costco? Costco's workers experience and equipment are as good or better than most. Anyone who believes a Porsche requires a mechanical engineer to lift it and install tires should not be questioning the common sense and judgement of others.
+1

Quick Reply: Tire make / Prices - 06 997S