Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire make / Prices - 06 997S

Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Yeah I know. But the new Bridgestone RE-11 tire isn't available in an N-spec version, at least not from TireRack. I assume that's only because it is new and has not yet been certified by Porsche.
I would guess the RE-11 wont get N-certified as its an Extreme performance Tire.
The N-rating probably has to meet certain operating conditions that the car will see... wet, cold, dry, hot etc.... this tire is summer only really

Its possible that a GT3 "could" get this just like it got the PSC's, but then its not N-rated for the regular Carrera's

Looks a damn good tire though
Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Chambers
Why did you choose the RE050A's rather than PS2's? Cost only? I am looking for correct tires with the softest ride. My OE Continentals are too stiff for my liking.
Saving $400 on the set didn't bother me but I really wanted to try something different. Didn't even get 10K out the last set of PS2's and they were bare on the inside 2". As for ride quality and handling, I honestly can't tell the difference. And I'm not sure you'll see dramatic difference in comfort no matter what tires you choose for 19" wheels. Some people got to 18" to soften the ride.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't worry about N-specification when it comes to an extreme performance Bridgestone, which is designed for just about anything. Consider the N-specification PS2 is also a summer tire, not intended for cold use.

When the PS2s on the Boxster S and 997.2S are done, a set of 235/265 and 235/305 RE-11s will be going on.

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I would guess the RE-11 wont get N-certified as its an Extreme performance Tire.
The N-rating probably has to meet certain operating conditions that the car will see... wet, cold, dry, hot etc.... this tire is summer only really

Its possible that a GT3 "could" get this just like it got the PSC's, but then its not N-rated for the regular Carrera's

Looks a damn good tire though
Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Jim Chambers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks sandwedge. I have 18's. I am probably seeking the impossible.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

When my stock PS2's wear out I will go with the Bridgestones....due to cost and to try something else. For the street none of us will be able to tell the difference between a 24lb tire or a 27lb tire.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serious Question: Street use - I normally have not run my car over 125mph, and in fact probably won't ever again be over 100-110mph; does it actually make any difference which brand or tire rating I use?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Verde
Advanced

I finally read a review of the RE-11's. Seemed quite favorable. Until now all I kept hearing was, 'I keep hearing that they're great'. OTOH, the specs cite that the rear are 5lbs heavier than PS2's and the fronts are 4lbs heavier each. That just seems totally unacceptable making them a non-starter.
The unsprung weight equivalent and handling/inertia impact just makes this a very bad tradeoff.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tejoe
Serious Question: Street use - I normally have not run my car over 125mph, and in fact probably won't ever again be over 100-110mph; does it actually make any difference which brand or tire rating I use?
I am pretty sure that every tire available from TireRack that fits a 997 has a speed rating of "Y", which means it is designed for sustained speeds up to 186 mph so 100-110 mph won't be a problem. But there are significant differences between tires in things like dry performance, wet performance, treadwear, noise, comfort, and of course price. You need to determine what your priorities are then select the tires that best fit your needs. TireRack has reviews and surveys to help with your decision.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Sids911
Instructor

During my last tire change, I replaced both front and back with Michelin PS2s. My rears are now quite worn out (less than 10k miles ), so I'm looking to replace my rears.

I was going to buy a rear set of Michelin PS2s when I was told to look at Sumitomo's HTR Z III ... I've also seen 2 Porsche folks who like them too. So 3 questions:

1. Any experiences here with Sumitomos? FYI, TireRack's quantitative/objective rest results show they perform better than Bridgestone's RE050A but slightly less than the PS2s. Aside any "placebo" thinking, I'm wondering if that small difference is even measurable when I drive (on the street).

TireRack link Sumitomo vs Bridgestone RE50A: A New Name Challenges the Max Performance Summer Category
PS2's competitive rating @ : Testing New Trends In Max Performance Tires

Note: Their methodology appears to be consistent, so the comparison across 2 tests should be ok to do.

2. I studied the thread pattens on the PS2 (my fronts) and the Sumitomo HTR Z3 (as my potential new rears). The patterns looks compatible in that there shouldn't be any lateral vibrations (when mixing parallel thread vs V-threads). Anyone else have a few word of wisdom on this?

3. I was also blown away by the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's performance ... check the 2nd link above, it beats the PS2s. I didn't find them in 255/40-ZR17 (for my 996 C2), but you guys have good experience with these?

Overall, I'm almost in denial how good the Sumitomo appears to be on paper (and in Tirerack's on-the-road tests). I've been a PS2 believer but that may change ...

Cheers!
Sid

Last edited by Sids911; 08-11-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added links
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Sid,

A few guys on the 996 Forum have recently (within the last 3 to 6 months) put the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on their cars. If you do an Advanced search on "HTR" on the 996 Forum you will be able to read some comments, or you could start a thread over there to get some direct feedback.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to get off topic but anyone go with plus 1 on the rears or fronts?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Sids911
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gota911
Sid,

A few guys on the 996 Forum have recently (within the last 3 to 6 months) put the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on their cars. If you do an Advanced search on "HTR" on the 996 Forum you will be able to read some comments, or you could start a thread over there to get some direct feedback.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip .. I searched for tires and didn't get enough information. Anyway, for future readers, it looks like the Sumitomo's are worthy replacements. The argument goes back and forth and different folks have slightly differing opinions.

My general idea is this:
  1. Michelin PS2s: Well understood, performing 'king'. Years of familiarity and good data is on it's side. There is a definite bias due to it's great reputation.
  2. Bridgestone's RE11s (different/better than the Bridgestone R050A) are great performance tires. Outperforms PS2s, but was a surprise to me (PS2s reputation!). TireRack's testing is useful too ...
  3. The underdog tires (i.e. awesome performance, just not enough recognition) are the Goodyear F1 <something, I forget> and the Sumitomo's. For those in marketing, I guess you'll understand why it is hard for some folks to digest how a low price tire (likely a result of a low cost structure) can challenge the more expensive ones. But the data looks good. Over time I guess we'll have more street-cred on these underdogs ... the sumi's look promising.

All the above tires appeared to be ok for AutoX and performance street driving (how much can you really race on the street anyway? And should you?...). For pure racing, I wasn't able to get much info ... but I guess if it's ok for AutoX, it should be ok for amateur tracking. I DID read at a few places that for autoX, Sumi's are good but the RE11's are better - but only in the hands of the most experienced driver due since the driver is the usual bottleneck. (despite egos prompting otherwise )

Since I still have some links open, I thought I'd copy-paste relevant ones ... for those who don't want to search too much.

Based on what I've learnt, I think I just may switch from being a Pure PS2 person to the Sumi's when the time comes in the next few days ... they're worthy replacements. 40% of the price, the same dry & wet performance. I couldn't buy a $10 coffee knowing that the same place would also sell me a (virtually identical performing) coffee for $4. When (and if-it's a few days off!) that happens, I'll post back my experience ...

Auto-X the Sumi's
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...rt-w-pics.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...os-are-on.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tire-test.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-position.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...out-tires.html
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

I just today had a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's delivered to my house. I'll be putting them on the new wheels set to be here at the end of the month on my C2S and will report back. They have gotten fantastic reviews so far and are a fraction of the cost of PS2's....even if they are only 85% as good as the PS2's, they are 45% of the cost. I like that math.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I just today had a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's delivered to my house. I'll be putting them on the new wheels set to be here at the end of the month on my C2S and will report back. They have gotten fantastic reviews so far and are a fraction of the cost of PS2's....even if they are only 85% as good as the PS2's, they are 45% of the cost. I like that math.
I'll be anxious to hear how the tires work for you. I've been looking at moving from the PS2's also.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
stevehess
Track Day

This is a very non-Porsche question. I am an old fart 911 owner and my car will never see anything over 75mph in my leisurely summertime drives. I don't give a hoot for "performance" That said, what tires might offer the best tread wear. Getting 8,000 miles out of (rear) tires costing close to $500 each is pretty ridiculous. It is not the money but the waste and nuisance of having to get new tires every year. I know, someone will tell me to go buy a Chevy but that is not really the point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire make / Prices - 06 997S