Sponsored by:

PCCB's -- Worth Having?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S
I've got PCCB's on my 2005 997S and they're super. Great stopping power and very clean w/ respect to metal rotors. They should last a life time if not abused (ie. excessive tracking)..
A few comments.

is there such a thing as "excessive tracking?" ceramic brakes are a performance upgrade - better perf at high temps is the goal. no?

for the life of me, how can less brake dust even enter the conversation when talking about an $8k option? i hear it all the time but boy, you can get a lot of detailing for that coin.

as for painting calipers yellow, pullllease. any photo of painted yellow calipers should include a link to ebay listings for a matching fake rolex

brendan
Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
A few comments.

is there such a thing as "excessive tracking?" ceramic brakes are a performance upgrade - better perf at high temps is the goal. no?

for the life of me, how can less brake dust even enter the conversation when talking about an $8k option? i hear it all the time but boy, you can get a lot of detailing for that coin.

as for painting calipers yellow, pullllease. any photo of painted yellow calipers should include a link to ebay listings for a matching fake rolex

brendan
Cut down on your caffine intake in the morning . . . .
Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

PCCB is good, but not good enough to be worth the initial order price. If you're buying a pre-owned, then definitely go for it if there is no crack at the rotor. As someone said before, when it comes time to replace rotor, you can always switch to steel.

I had a PCCB 997S for a year, and steel brake on club coupe now. Overall stopping power is about the same, but PCCB gives a stronger initial bite, and it doesn't fade at the end of the track day.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
cag64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my understanding PCCB do have some break dust, but not as much as the others. Is this true?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cag64
To my understanding PCCB do have some break dust, but not as much as the others. Is this true?
That's correct. It's less brake dust, not no dust. I love mine, and they look cool as hell.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

So what happens 5 years down the road when your car is worth only 30k and you need to change the rotors and it costs you 15k.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
lig
Racer

You simply replace with iron rotors and change pads. The calipers will work just fine.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jumper5836
So what happens 5 years down the road when your car is worth only 30k and you need to change the rotors and it costs you 15k.
Dunno...ask the 996 guys that needed their engines replaced from RMS failures.

I kid, i kid...couldn't resist.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
PCCB is good, but not good enough to be worth the initial order price. If you're buying a pre-owned, then definitely go for it if there is no crack at the rotor. As someone said before, when it comes time to replace rotor, you can always switch to steel.

I had a PCCB 997S for a year, and steel brake on club coupe now. Overall stopping power is about the same, but PCCB gives a stronger initial bite, and it doesn't fade at the end of the track day.
$39 of Motul RBF600 will solve the end of day fade! Another few hundred dollars for some track pads will give you intial bite too.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lig
You simply replace with iron rotors and change pads. The calipers will work just fine.
So you don't need to replace the calipers. That is very good to know and a very simple solution.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default thanks....

Never knew that.... I do not have them but never knew this, good to know.... thanks

Originally Posted by lig
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

A few comments.

brendan
Just what I want to do, leave my car at a detailer a day per week for the life of my car. No thanks, I'll take the hassle free clean wheels.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I sometimes feel like I could walk away from this forum for a year or two or more and the exact same threads would be popping up.
Jeez, DAFS.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Good to know....

Thanks for the heads up, but didn't realize paint to my liking would actually morph my brakes into "fake" Porsche OEM brakes". Poor analogy buddy. But feel free to get another go at it.... sure your chompin at the bit. I clearly stated in the post and in all my posts I do not have PCCB's so not sure anyone is trying to fake anyone out.

Note: Yellow Calipers been on P cars well before the PCCB's came out...

Finally seems like someone recommended a swap to none ceramic rotors to save on costs at time of replacement as they work with the PCCB calipers etc,,,. Does that owners brakes also become like a fake Rolex just curious based on your comment. So Pulllease let us know....

A few comments.

brendan
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Just what I want to do, leave my car at a detailer a day per week for the life of my car. No thanks, I'll take the hassle free clean wheels.
Not like you don't have to wash your car if you have PCCB. Besides, based on other PCCB owners above, you do get brake dust, just less. So for performance or looks, the $8k question depends on each owner. But for brake dust, c'mon...

Quick Reply: PCCB's -- Worth Having?