Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB's -- Worth Having?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get what you pay for. The ceramic set up is how all cars should be equipped. Once you master the system, your driving style alters. My experience with PCCB was; easy to clean, hardly any wear and the ability to cross lanes and change lanes quicker and faster than I ever had before.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Aside from being more resistant to brake fade, what on earth could be different enough to alter your driving style? I've driven both (street, not track) and I'm skeptical that the lighter unsprung weight really translates to such a dramatic difference that it would require "mastery." Do you have to "master" 18" wheels if you swap them in in favor of the heavier 19" wheels?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I notice the difference with the lesser unsprung weight and can't say enough about the setup. But then, the rule here appears to be,--if you have them you like them, if you don't have them, you comment about the price.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I can tell the difference with the lesser unsprung eight too, but to claim that you have to master the improved handling or that it completely changes your driving style sounds like hyperbole to me. The difference isn't that dramatic.

I'd have gotten them save for fears about damage on the track. Paying for them once is within my budget but risking a $4000 repair just because I slipped trying to swap wheels before having that first cup of coffee is more than my pocketbook wants to risk.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I notice the difference with the lesser unsprung weight and can't say enough about the setup. But then, the rule here appears to be,--if you have them you like them, if you don't have them, you comment about the price.
Dan just for the record I have driven PCCB cars and I track with a guy that has PCCB and has had major rotor failure and it cost him a fortune. I would love to have the less unsprung weight at the track but for the street you can not push the car hard enough to notice the difference.

However I like PCCB's and would love to have them on my car but since I autoX and track and dailey drive my car I am not too shy to say I personally could not afford the $15,000 to replace the PCCB rotors.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, one of the US mags (either C & D or R & T) did a comparo of braking distances and fade resistance of different cars including 997's with and without PCBB's. They concluded that the steel rotors where just as good. They could not get them to fade after many repeated laps and hard braking sessions, and the stopping distances where the same or close enough to the PCBB's. Interesting read.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
Last year, one of the US mags (either C & D or R & T) did a comparo of braking distances and fade resistance of different cars including 997's with and without PCBB's. They concluded that the steel rotors where just as good. They could not get them to fade after many repeated laps and hard braking sessions, and the stopping distances where the same or close enough to the PCBB's. Interesting read.
Makes an interesting argument for installing the largee 6-piston brakes from the Turbo.
Mr. B
Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by chago996
Couple this fact with Porsche having gone back on their original mileage claims of superior PCCB life and I see no reason for me to buy them.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
chago996
Racer

here's the link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...stuff/(page)/1
Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Of course...the people that bought them don't want to look dumb for paying that much money, and the people that didn't get them realize how absurdly they're priced...and yes, I would expect that even people that have them realize that they're absurdly priced.

You could buy a whole 'nother car for eight grand...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Of course...the people that bought them don't want to look dumb for paying that much money, and the people that didn't get them realize how absurdly they're priced...and yes, I would expect that even people that have them realize that they're absurdly priced.

You could buy a whole 'nother car for eight grand...
the price for ceramics is something like $22K for a Ferrari 430. So Porsch pricing seems quite reasonable! :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe a subscriber could look out for the 'Total 911' article researched and mentioned here https://rennlist.com/forums/6236879-post1.html (subject to: https://rennlist.com/forums/6246375-post7.html ).

There is no question the PCCBs have weight advantages. OTOH, tho, the same are more fragile (don't go off track often as stones/gravel are a real danger). Also, the wear indicators are confusing even to those who own and know their cars (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...b-teltail.html). And once the rotors go, they eat pads apparently.

I would like to see some real world independent info on the PCCBs as I cannot make up my mind on them. I think for everyday use they would be fine - but overkill. For track use, the Jury is out unless you own Microsoft..
Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I just called our friends at Sunset Imports Parts department. An extremely helpful group of guys with great parts prices for our cars.

Replacement cost on a 997 S for a full set of pads and rotors is $950 vs. $20,000.

Advantage unsprung weight and wear resistance.

If you think you will do at least 20 full brake jobs in the time you own the car then by all means go for it. I'll stick with standard brakes, thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
So I just called our friends at Sunset Imports Parts department. An extremely helpful group of guys with great parts prices for our cars.

Replacement cost on a 997 S for a full set of pads and rotors is $950 vs. $20,000.

Advantage unsprung weight and wear resistance.

If you think you will do at least 20 full brake jobs in the time you own the car then by all means go for it. I'll stick with standard brakes, thanks.
You should have asked them for the price of pads and rotors for PCCBs while you had em' on the phone. The price is significantly less on their website-maybe it was done in 1976
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes they are .......No they're not.......Yes they are......No they're not!

Quick Reply: PCCB's -- Worth Having?