Sponsored by:

PCCB's -- Worth Having?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I sometimes feel like I could walk away from this forum for a year or two or more and the exact same threads would be popping up.
Jeez, DAFS.
+1
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff

Note: Yellow Calipers been on P cars well before the PCCB's came out...
Just like people have been putting turbo wings on non-turbos for a long time.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

or painting their calipers red
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default correct....

Yup.....or adding a gt3 front end on a none gt3 car, RS wings and gt2 wings as well on none GT line cars.... I have seen done in good taste many times...To me what makes the wonderful world of P cars so great.... being different, unique.....etc... so many have dual round s or s like exhaust tips on a none S car.... to me looks great, (did it, ceramic coat black) unless one badges the car S I think its great. My god how many next gen wheels have we seen on cars that the car did not come with.... Turbo wheels on none turbo cars, S line wheels on none S cars....even 997 wheels or 996 wheels on 993's....Yes I have RUF wheels and my car is by no means a Ruf'd car.....

None of the above in the same catagory as adding a Turbo or gt2/gt3 emblem to a car that is NOT a turbo or gt series car,,,, etc.,.. that I am in no way on board with.....

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
$39 of Motul RBF600 will solve the end of day fade! Another few hundred dollars for some track pads will give you intial bite too.
is it the case that it's easy to get similar performace with fluid & pads - but that you don't get the daily driver benefits? i drove the PCCBs on the track and loved them. they were truly outstanding. i've also used pagid yellows at the track but they're so noisy under normal/street driving you must change them out and so that's just one more thing to do. in a perfect world, i'd have the performance and quiet....

from a purchase POV, what concerns me is the fragility, because the wear characteristics seem exceptional.

b
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Yup.....or adding a gt3 front end on a none gt3 car, RS wings and gt2 wings as well on other model cars I have seen done in good taste...To me what makes the wonderful world of P cars so great.... being different, unique.....etc...

None of the above in the same catagory as adding a Turbo or gtX emblem to a car that is NOT a turbo or gt series car,,,, etc.,.. that I am in no way on board with.....
I ran across a 933 TT with an S on the back. I went up to the owner and asked why he put the S on. It obviously didn't have side intakes or front intakes. He responded his car had more power then the S. I just walked away some people just don't get it.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I agree

in this case I 100% agree, re-badging your car claiming its a model it is not is in a different catagory all itself...

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I ran across a 933 TT with an S on the back. I went up to the owner and asked why he put the S on. It obviously didn't have side intakes or front intakes. He responded his car had more power then the S. I just walked away some people just don't get it.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Not like you don't have to wash your car if you have PCCB. Besides, based on other PCCB owners above, you do get brake dust, just less. So for performance or looks, the $8k question depends on each owner. But for brake dust, c'mon...
The only dust I get can be easily rinsed off with a garden hose at std. water pressure. When I hear of brake dust I think of my wifes Audi that has hot brake dust that eats its' way into the wheel and has to be scrubbed off using chemical wheel cleaner every 2-3 hundred miles. I'm not sure it was even brake dust as opposed to regular dust in the environment.

I do love hearing your first hand experience on the up/down side of having PCCBs.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The only dust I get can be easily rinsed off with a garden hose at std. water pressure. When I hear of brake dust I think of my wifes Audi that has hot brake dust that eats its' way into the wheel and has to be scrubbed off using chemical wheel cleaner every 2-3 hundred miles. I'm not sure it was even brake dust as opposed to regular dust in the environment.

I do love hearing your first hand experience on the up/down side of having PCCBs.
In case you missed my previous posts, I already mentioned the reason I opted not to get it. But seems to me you are trying to start some pissing contest. Sorry, not interested. Have a great day!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
A few comments.

is there such a thing as "excessive tracking?" ceramic brakes are a performance upgrade - better perf at high temps is the goal. no?

for the life of me, how can less brake dust even enter the conversation when talking about an $8k option? i hear it all the time but boy, you can get a lot of detailing for that coin.

as for painting calipers yellow, pullllease. any photo of painted yellow calipers should include a link to ebay listings for a matching fake rolex

brendan
Logic - Thank God
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternative

Originally Posted by wilfred
Much higher cost, iirc, it's like $8k for a pair of rotors! Meanwhile, the steel ones are more down to earth @ $300-$400 i think.
Another option would be to swap the Carrera S brakes for the larger brakes from the Turbo.
My car has them and they are amazing.
Mr. B
Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have them and love them. I think you will find most people who have them would not want to be without them. Most people who do not have them, and have never tried them say they are too expensive, offer no tangible performance upgrade, and are too expensive, but have never owned nor driven a car equipped with them.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
is it the case that it's easy to get similar performace with fluid & pads - but that you don't get the daily driver benefits? i drove the PCCBs on the track and loved them. they were truly outstanding. i've also used pagid yellows at the track but they're so noisy under normal/street driving you must change them out and so that's just one more thing to do. in a perfect world, i'd have the performance and quiet....

from a purchase POV, what concerns me is the fragility, because the wear characteristics seem exceptional.

b
yeah, true you will need to swap pads...but swapping pads on S (big red calipers) takes only 30 seconds at most per wheel.

I like PCCB's too but can not afford $15,000 for new rotors, take the chance on damaging them at the track which I have seen personally.If you can afford PCCB's they might be the way to go. However I have not found with my track buddies that PCCB's actually stop better than S brakes, nor did a magazine test last year.

Any pad built for the abuse of the track will squeal under normal street driving...just like stock pads will disenagrate that the track but actually stop you better on the street. It take heat build up for track pads to really work.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

blk on blk, I had them once and won't bother again.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
So, actually, PCCB's could be considered a negative with regard
to purchasing a pre-owned 997.
I wish this car had regular steel brakes, it is in excellent
condition and 15k miles.
Can you switch the brakes to steel when the rotors needs
to be replaced or is that a difficult task?
I would buy a used car w/ PCCBs. I would not pay a premium due to that though.

Nothing wrong w/ PCCBs especially for street or occasional track use.

Quick Reply: PCCB's -- Worth Having?