Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S PDK no Sport Chrono worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2S PDK no Sport Chrono worth it???

So I finally get my C4 allocation yesterday for May build and PCNA pulls a fast one by offering low interest rates for ONE week to reduce current dealer inventory. I've gone over a few numbers with Chris at N-O Porsche and it just seems more logical for me to pick a car off of the rack than to build one. There are a few cars to choose from, from a C2 6spd to the launch Porsche Racing Green with PDK and SCP. There's a C2S with PDK in Meteor Grey with 19 in Turbo wheels that I'm also considering, hence this post.

What's your opinion on C2S PDK without SCP? I've driven C2 and C2S PDK with and without SCP, and I think SCP is a must for PDK. When I test drove the cars with PDK and no SCP, I left it in drive. With the quick shifting to 7th gear, it left me unimpressed. So my question is, in manual mode, will the C2S PDK w/o SCP be as much fun to drive as one with SCP? Is the PDK adaptive in Drive mode, meaning adapting to your driving style???

I'm exploring all options, since there's a good chunk of difference in $$ among the cars that I'm considering.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
CMOS
Advanced

N-O Porsche? I'm in NoVA as well....which dealer is that?
Anyway, I strongly suggest that you get a car with sport chrono. Two reasons: 1) it definitely makes my 2007 C4S 6spd feel more responsive and it's more fun to drive. I'm sure that the SCP on the 2009 S car is just as much fun. 2) Your resale without it will hurt. Most cars in that class will have it. If you eventually trade the car to a dealer, it might not make a difference, who knows. But it's more likely to hurt.

How much do you stand to save by getting a car off the lot?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by CMOS
N-O Porsche? I'm in NoVA as well....which dealer is that?
Anyway, I strongly suggest that you get a car with sport chrono. Two reasons: 1) it definitely makes my 2007 C4S 6spd feel more responsive and it's more fun to drive. I'm sure that the SCP on the 2009 S car is just as much fun. 2) Your resale without it will hurt. Most cars in that class will have it. If you eventually trade the car to a dealer, it might not make a difference, who knows. But it's more likely to hurt.

How much do you stand to save by getting a car off the lot?
Porsche North-Olmsted. My question is about PDK tranny without SCP. The SCP makes a big difference in the driving experience and it has launch control. But can I do without it, that's the question. Will it make driving less "fun".

You can potentially save a little more by picking a car off of the lot. And with what Porsche is offering now, it's hard for me to stick with my original plan, which is to order a car. Who knows what the money factor and residual will be when I take delivery in June.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
mstams
Racer

No PDK without Sport Chrono. No way. Never...
Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

Hi Jack,
While I'm not fully up to speed on PDK, I think that SCP is a must with that transmission. For PDK, I believe the Sports Plus mode is key if you're going to track the car.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by mstams
No PDK without Sport Chrono. No way. Never...
What I really don't understand is why would dealers order a car with PDK and without SCP?????
Old 02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hi Jack,
While I'm not fully up to speed on PDK, I think that SCP is a must with that transmission. For PDK, I believe the Sports Plus mode is key if you're going to track the car.
Dave, I'm getting close....really close on becoming a new 997 owner!!!! A lot sooner than I thought.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much of a ridiculous gimmick as I think SC is, it actually does do something worthwhile on the PDK cars. In that sense, buying a non-SC PDK car is much like buying a non-SC turbo--probably not a good idea if you plan on selling it at some point.

Go for that launch car. I can't believe they still have it.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by am722
As much of a ridiculous gimmick as I think SC is, it actually does do something worthwhile on the PDK cars. In that sense, buying a non-SC PDK car is much like buying a non-SC turbo--probably not a good idea if you plan on selling it at some point.

The launch car is high on my list. I just don't understand the logic behind ordering PDK without SCP. When are you taking delivery?? I'm sure you're excited.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no fan of PDK, but I think having driven a few cars with and without S/C it's absolutely essential to your enjoyment of the car.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

PDK without S/C -- never!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jlinmd
What I really don't understand is why would dealers order a car with PDK and without SCP?????
Many of those were "Launch" cars that Porsche sent them and the dealer did not order.

I have read a few articles (2 articles in two separate issues of Excellence, one about the C2/C2S and the second about the C4/C4S and Total 911 magazine) and they all recommend getting Sport Chrono with PKD. That combo apparently takes PDK from being a "very good" transmission to a "great" transmission.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by am722

Originally Posted by jlinmd
The launch car is high on my list. I just don't understand the logic behind ordering PDK without SCP. When are you taking delivery?? I'm sure you're excited.
That's our 2nd launch car fyi we sold the our original quickly.

I think Jack should do the launch car. better deal and the car goes like a raped ape. (what does a raped ape sound like btw? certainly not as glorious as a Porsche C2S!! )

okay. back to our programming. lol
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
That's our 2nd launch car fyi we sold the our original quickly.

I think Jack should do the launch car. better deal and the car goes like a raped ape. (what does a raped ape sound like btw? certainly not as glorious as a Porsche C2S!! )

okay. back to our programming. lol
I'm not sure which I find more disturbing...your comparison of a 997.2 to a raped-ape, or the fact that you know what a raped-ape sounds like.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Ucube
I'm not sure which I find more disturbing...your comparison of a 997.2 to a raped-ape, or the fact that you know what a raped-ape sounds like.
Uhhh.......*awkward*

I plead zee 5th!

Quick Reply: C2S PDK no Sport Chrono worth it???