Sponsored by:

PASM vs. PASM Sports Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
tobyport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM vs. PASM Sports Suspension

Please clarify. I know the PASM has a comfort mode, but does the PASM Sports Suspension also have a comfort mode? and if so, how does it compare to the standard PASM? In other words, the spring rate is different and the Porsche website says that the Sport Suspension offers two manually selectable modes...so does that mean that the Sport Suspension offers an additional mode not available on the standard PASM?

I'm ordering a non-S car with 19's and would like the lower stance (20mm drop), but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for the daily driver. Help!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

When i test drove, PASM in Normal mode on 19" wheels was very compliant

for me when i test drove SPASM , normal/default mode was rougher riding on 19" wheels

It depends on your tolerance of ride but to an average porsche driver SPASM in normal fesls stiffer/harsher than PASM in Normal 0n 19" wheels
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's see how to describe this. When I was test driving before ordering I would say the normal on Sport PASM was firmer than normal on PASM, but not as firm as sport on PASM. Imagine half way between normal and sport. On Sport, Sport PASM was firm, but not obnoxiously so. My personal experience comes from owing a 2007 C2S with normal Generation 1 PASM and a 2007 GT3 (which has PASM). The new Gen 2 PASM and Sport PASM are much better than Gen 1. Also, the 2009 911 comes with the latest N4 tires, which are more compliant than previous versions, so that may help as well make for what I think was a very comfortable ride in Sport PASM Normal setting.

Did you read the article in Excellence yet about all of this? If you haven't you need to get a copy (back-ordered issues are available in the back of the magazine or online).

You won't be disappointed in Sport PASM as a daily driver...
Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sport PASM also includes LSD.

BTW - adding 19" wheels (Carrera S II $1,550) and PASM ($1,990) to a base model costs $3,540 which is 34% of the $10,300 difference between a base model and an S model. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off getting the S model. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I have owned both with regular pasm and now my 09 has sport pasm. Sport pasm is just slightly firmer in normal (comfort) mode than regualr pasm. I would re-order my CarreraS with this option eveytime.

They way I look at it is the car rides and handles great, it is a sports car and shoud ride and handle as such. IF I want a plush but still somewhat sporty ride I would get something from BMW or Mercedes and so forth.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 PM
tobyport
Instructor

PASM w/LSD ($1990 + $808 = $2798 msrp) is less than SPASM ($2940 msrp). I've read the threads on the plus/minus of LSD, but would like to hear from those who made the decision to go PASM/LSD vs. SPASM and why, or visa/versa.

Separately, can you REALLY tell the difference aesthetically in 10MM lower vs. 20MM lower?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Aesthetics has nothing to do with it for me. LSD is a must for my street / track car, so $950 could be spent for LSD with the C2S or for the same $950 I can get Sport PASM with progressive rear springs, all-over slightly stiffer springs (actual rates posted by me elsewhere in this forum), a more sport-tuned / valved set of shocks, etc. That it is 10mm lower only helps from a handling / center of gravity standpoint.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Thank you Ron. I ran the numbers and an S model is approximately $6000 more. I don't plan to track the car anytime soon, so I'm thinking PASM is my best option...and I'm still debating whether LSD for $808 (dealer cost) is worth it.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

If this is on a non-S, I think I'd just get the stock suspension and no LSD. Car like that drives great and is "free". The only way I'd bother with PASM is to go the whole way to Sport PASM where you get the LSD for free.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by tobyport
PASM w/LSD ($1990 + $808 = $2798 msrp) is less than SPASM ($2940 msrp). I've read the threads on the plus/minus of LSD, but would like to hear from those who made the decision to go PASM/LSD vs. SPASM and why, or visa/versa.

Separately, can you REALLY tell the difference aesthetically in 10MM lower vs. 20MM lower?
Aboslutly the aesthetics (looks/ cars stance) is lower. You can really tell this. However the ride is not as harsh as some might think. The ride is nice..firm, solid, lots of feed back, less body roll, just like it should be.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
tobyport
Instructor

From the Porsche Sales Guide:
REAR
911 Carrera/Carrera S
Basic chassis Manual Spring rate: 43 N/mm PDK Spring Rate: 46 N/mm
PASM Spring rate 56 N/mm
SPASM Spring rate: prog. 65/95 N/mm

FRONT
Spring Strut
Basic Carrera Spring Rate: 27 N/mm
Carrera/Carrera S PASM chassis Spring rate: 33 N/mm
Carrera/Carrera S SPASM chassis Spring rate: 36 N/mm

"As on the previous models, the new 911 models also feature the electrnically controlled damping system PASM with actively adjustable dampers. To adapt to the improved driving performance of the new models, the system has been modified both hydraulically in its damping characteristics and with regard to system control. Each single model was considered individually during tuning. PASM combines a sportily comfortable chassis in its basic setting and a purely sporty one at the touch of a button. PASM therefore offers not only two rigid chassis setups, but even within the basic setup, variable damping adjustment is also available for each individual wheel."

Not much information about SPASM, so it's no wonder some/most of the sales people at the dealership are clueless.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I have been driving my 09 C2s with the lowered Sport PASM around all week and on a trip across the state and back. I can't find anything negitive about the Sport version of PASM....all positive I say get it, especially if you track or autocross or just want the sporty natural of a Porsche.

Quick Reply: PASM vs. PASM Sports Suspension