Sponsored by:

Jump Start problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
amar_kamath
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump Start problem

Hi, Hope you guys can help me. Searched the forum, but couldn't find the answwer.

My 06 C4 cab is my daily driver, but has been sitting in the garage for a month due to too much snow in northern NJ. Since it got into the 40s today, I wanted to take it for a spin. However, when I tried starting it, it wouldn't turn over. I tried jump starting it, but it still wouldn't turn with my Dodge Ram supplying the juice. I have jump started once before - 8 months ago - and it started just fine that time and haven't given me any trouble since. I did not have the car on a tender.

So, the question: Why is my car not able to jump start? I know the starter motor is fine because it did turn the engine a couple of times, but then stopped when the power just didn't seem to be enough.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Hasn't snowed that much!

Left mine in the garage a couple of days, but not a whole month!

anyway, back on topic. I hope you don't have the problem I did. I had to have mine jumped a month ago and drove it to work. Went to go out at lunch, and she wouldn't start again. Had to have it towed to Paul Miller and ended up w/a $450 new battery
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If a battery won't charge enough when you try to jump it, that usually means that the battery has been drained completely. Once this happens, it will no longer hold a charge.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My 05 C2S battery just died at the office one night, had AAA jump start it, no problem. Drove it home, hooked up my 10A battery charger overnight, wouldn't crank the next morning, so I rolled it down the hill, popped the clutch and it started right up, and drove it to Interstate where I got a new battery for $170. The OEM battery cost is BS.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 AM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Listen.

Make sure you have somebody rev the donor car up to say 2500-3000 rpm then start your car. After connecting your porsche to the donor car make sure you turn off the car alarm first. Same problem 2 days ago on my 09 c2.

Vic
Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
amar_kamath
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Last time this happened, I was able to just connect the cable and start the car with the truck idling. I think I will try revving today. The battery was not completely drained because all the electrics were working just fine until I turned the key to start. If it doesn't start with the donor engine revving, I think I will need a new battery. is this covered under warranty?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

There have been reports of a bad wiring harness at the starter motor. Some of the issues was slow cranking even with a good battery. Like the starter motor is not getting enough power or if you're trying to turn over a very high compression engine.

Also, try charging the battery with a CTEK batter charger/maintainer. The 3300 and up versions can revive a fully discharged battery before you think it's no longer good. There is one shop on EBAY WOODY'S CUSTOM SHOP that is an online dealer for CTEK.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when you try to crank the car over look at the dome light. If the light dies while trying to crank it, the battery is too low that jumping doesn't work. OR it is possible that you have a bad batt. connection or even a bad ground somewhere. Hope this helps.
Check terminal connections, pull on them and then try to crank it.
Check Ground off battery
Check voltage with V-meter, if it is below 12v it probably is dead, theyt usually measure around 13.8v.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

There was a wiring harness issue and I think (but not sure) it affected 2006 cars.

I've met the owner of Woody's Custom at a 356 event and have purchased a few things from him for my 356, and he's a solid guy.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

MY $0.02
I have heard that reving the "good car" is bad because when your car does start there can be an excess of voltage coming into the "dead" car and cause problems with the regulator/alternator. Perhaps this is old school or just BS. Someone can call me on this if they know better.

Second point I'm more sure of. I always let the good car run for a while to charge the dead cars battery before I try to start it, (higher RPM it if you like to speed the process). Then with the good car at idle, the dead car starts right up. I do not see any point to reving the dead car when it starts; I simply turn the key without my foot near the gas.

Always cracks me up when people finally start the dead car that they seem intent on punishing it by immediately revving it to 4,000 rpm. I heard my neignbor "working" on his benz and when he finally got it started, he must have had a brick on the accelerator. I had enough time to stop what I was doing, listen and wonder what that horrible noise was, stand there for 5 or 10 seconds waiting for it to stop; it didn't, then walk out of my garage and listen for another5 or 10 seconds to the sound of a benz in neutral at WOT valves floating for at least 45 seconds or more before the owner finally and mercifully took the pressure off the gas pedal. A lesser car would surely have sent a piston through the hood or windowed the block. Sorry for the OT, but I had to share.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

page 270 of 2009 carrera manual states:

3. Run the engine of the donor car at higher speed.

4. Start the engine.
An attempted start using jumper cables should not last more than 15 seconds. Then allow a waiting period of at least one minute.

Note
Before disconnecting the jumper cables, electrical loads such as the heated rear window and heating fan blower should be switched on. This reduces voltage peaks which may occur when disconnecting jumper cables.

Vic
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gray911
page 270 of 2009 carrera manual states:

3. Run the engine of the donor car at higher speed.

4. Start the engine.
An attempted start using jumper cables should not last more than 15 seconds. Then allow a waiting period of at least one minute.

Note
Before disconnecting the jumper cables, electrical loads such as the heated rear window and heating fan blower should be switched on. This reduces voltage peaks which may occur when disconnecting jumper cables.

Vic
As always.... RTFM! Ijust read the very same thing as I was getting ready to start (hopefully start) my car since it's been sitting the whole time with no battery maintainer. Lucky for me, it started and fully warmed it up.

But, in prep, I ready the very same thing. You know, those Germans are smart!

Deanski

Quick Reply: Jump Start problem