sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo

Hey guys,
Dan just finished editing up this video and thought you might want to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImQUkO68xs

Or on Streetfire: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...che_207327.htm

This was primarily made to demonstrate the modifications we made to our 2009 PDK 997S shop car, but we had a bit of fun making it.

The car currently sits on 19" HRE P43 Monoblok wheels, features a full TechArt Type I Aerokit (front lip, side skirts, rear wing, rear diffuser, roof spoiler), TechArt lowering springs, and our own center exhaust solution.

Let me know what you'd like to see next time and I can try to get more of that type of shot, etc. I always have fun making them.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Exhaust comments: The car sounds very nice from outside BUT from inside it has a metallic shriek that I am not crazy about
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Exhaust comments: The car sounds very nice from outside BUT from inside it has a metallic shriek that I am not crazy about
Thanks.. and sorry I should have been clear the mic was still grabbing from the camera outside once it was inside. Hmm I think we did that because from inside it's actually barely any sound and very quiet still (you'd have to put the windows down which gets wind noise).
Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 PM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds fantastic! What tips are on that car? They look like Turbo tips...
Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in hearing about weight shedded from the exhaust and power gains from the software. Sounds great.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lig
That sounds fantastic! What tips are on that car? They look like Turbo tips...
Cheers and glad you like it. I guess what we were going for was subtle bump in sound... but nothing loud. It'll be easy to install/remove (about an hour) and no resonance either. The tips are TechArt tips which are a pretty penny but remind me of the Porsche X54 ones which I always had a soft spot for!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by am722
Interested in hearing about weight shedded from the exhaust and power gains from the software. Sounds great.
Hey Aaron cheers very much and in terms of weight- it's around 10 pounds. Nothing huge there but it's something. I'll have more for you in terms of the software/combo and gains (think 15-20 combined).
Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the video, looks really great. Makes me want to go trade in on an '09 coupe.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nugget
Love the video, looks really great. Makes me want to go trade in on an '09 coupe.
Hey Nugget, thanks for the kind words and Porsche's done a great job on this MKII!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Aaron cheers very much and in terms of weight- it's around 10 pounds. Nothing huge there but it's something. I'll have more for you in terms of the software/combo and gains (think 15-20 combined).
Thanks. Is it a full exhaust (headers, cats, etc) or just a muffler delete like on the GT3? I'm not sure I want to change out the whole system but I would be interested in a simple deletion solution that yields that kind of sound.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. Is it a full exhaust (headers, cats, etc) or just a muffler delete like on the GT3? I'm not sure I want to change out the whole system but I would be interested in a simple deletion solution that yields that kind of sound.
Hi Aaron, actually not it's very much like our GT3 set up being just a center exhaust. To be honest, I've had too many issues over the years with changing things like cats on NA 911s. CELs, cats coming apart etc... So that's one area we don't really want to try and mess with. The header area is another on NA cars that's dicey because more often than not you'll end up loosing low-end. It's not as easy as on turbo cars because the target there is to really reduce back-pressure. Do that on an NA car and you've got other effects. I'm also going to be completely honest in saying I don't know any better than Porsche on that The center exhaust replacement we've got is relatively simple and for sound mostly although if you look at the stock design vs ours, yes the flow is slightly improved since we do away with the two sharp u-bends inside in favor of a straight-thru design.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
am722
Drifting

Hi Aaron, actually not it's very much like our GT3 set up being just a center exhaust. To be honest, I've had too many issues over the years with changing things like cats on NA 911s. CELs, cats coming apart etc... So that's one area we don't really want to try and mess with. The header area is another on NA cars that's dicey because more often than not you'll end up loosing low-end. It's not as easy as on turbo cars because the target there is to really reduce back-pressure. Do that on an NA car and you've got other effects. I'm also going to be completely honest in saying I don't know any better than Porsche on that The center exhaust replacement we've got is relatively simple and for sound mostly although if you look at the stock design vs ours, yes the flow is slightly improved since we do away with the two sharp u-bends inside in favor of a straight-thru design.
Sounds good. I'll probably be giving you a call in a couple of months when my car gets here.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sounds good. I'll probably be giving you a call in a couple of months when my car gets here.
Hey Aaron, sounds like a plan. That wait will go quickly too Which options did you go for? I just wish I'd done the seats
Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Verde
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This last comment of yours is quite interesting. So many mods I've read about on this forum and 6speed involve changes all the way back to and including the headers. And a number of your project cars replace the whole system as well. So, perhaps I'm misunderstanding but seems like you're advocating a more conservative approach. If I got it right, that's a relief - it would simplify the focus, cost, ROI of any exhaust changes I've been considering.
It is clear, at least from reading lots of reviews and forum comments, that for non-TT cars, the price/performance of almost any mod - except for the VT SC upgrade, seems questionable. That is, go right to the SC and ignore the rest - unless you want your car to sound better.
Am I getting all this right?
Thanks,
Verde

Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Verde
This last comment of yours is quite interesting. So many mods I've read about on this forum and 6speed involve changes all the way back to and including the headers. And a number of your project cars replace the whole system as well. So, perhaps I'm misunderstanding but seems like you're advocating a more conservative approach. If I got it right, that's a relief - it would simplify the focus, cost, ROI of any exhaust changes I've been considering.
It is clear, at least from reading lots of reviews and forum comments, that for non-TT cars, the price/performance of almost any mod - except for the VT SC upgrade, seems questionable. That is, go right to the SC and ignore the rest - unless you want your car to sound better.
Am I getting all this right?
Thanks,
Verde
Hey Verde, most of those cars are either turbo ones or earlier 997s. What we really learned from the GT3s is that the newer cars and their intergrated header/cat systems are much more complex than the old days. Tampering with those requires a lot more R&D, $, time, risk and something that Porsche has over all of us We've done what little we can to hopefully (that's for you guys to decide) advance things like improve the sound on a mild level, drop some weight (ok that part is easy) and maybe get a few ponies (with some ECU tuning).

It's either that or I'm settling down with my older age (34 lol!)... The NA cars really require a different approach to the forced induction ones which just come equipped with the right ***** and physics to make playing with them more beneficial. Not to say you can't make more power with NA cars because you can but it's harder and quite easy to loose power too. We built our engine to a 3.8, did our exhaust, extensive tuning (increased the revs) etc.. and even then on the RS only managed to get 450-460hp from a result of that. I've seen some exhaust systems for the GT3s claim to get the car to 450-460 and maybe we're doing something wrong

The 997.2 is so new in every way and quite different from the layout/parts of the 996/997/986 from 1997 and on... For example, the intake improvements are quite dramatic on this MK2 car. Really a step forward. Making improvements to that this time around are going to be _very_ hard. Same story on the 997TT actually vs the 996TT.

Quick Reply: Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo