997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008 | 01:29 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Are you going to make an exhaust for the 997.1?
Old 12-24-2008 | 01:35 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Izzone
Are you going to make an exhaust for the 997.1?
We had originally talked about it but there are a good few options out there already (PSE, Tubi, Cargraphic etc...) so it's safe to say I'm happy enough so I'll install those The reason we didn't was because we didn't own the car at the time like we do with the MK2 and the RS. We don't make too many products and before doing so I like to have the car personally drive, drive, drive, test, test and test
Old 12-24-2008 | 02:42 PM
Verde
Advanced

I hope you didn't take my comments as critical, just an observation. And, I'll re-read your site, but I thought I was looking specifically at the NA project cars. I have no reason to doubt your personal and organizations expertise. You folks are extremely highly regarded in the P-car universe, so I was accepting your comments as fact.
Again, I was citing the difference in your findings from the consistent comments from forum readers, under the guise of improved power, re their proclivity to do a complete exhaust system replacement on NA cars as well as the TT's.

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Verde, most of those cars are either turbo ones or earlier 997s. What we really learned from the GT3s is that the newer cars and their intergrated header/cat systems are much more complex than the old days. Tampering with those requires a lot more R&D, $, time, risk and something that Porsche has over all of us We've done what little we can to hopefully (that's for you guys to decide) advance things like improve the sound on a mild level, drop some weight (ok that part is easy) and maybe get a few ponies (with some ECU tuning).

It's either that or I'm settling down with my older age (34 lol!)... The NA cars really require a different approach to the forced induction ones which just come equipped with the right ***** and physics to make playing with them more beneficial. Not to say you can't make more power with NA cars because you can but it's harder and quite easy to loose power too. We built our engine to a 3.8, did our exhaust, extensive tuning (increased the revs) etc.. and even then on the RS only managed to get 450-460hp from a result of that. I've seen some exhaust systems for the GT3s claim to get the car to 450-460 and maybe we're doing something wrong

The 997.2 is so new in every way and quite different from the layout/parts of the 996/997/986 from 1997 and on... For example, the intake improvements are quite dramatic on this MK2 car. Really a step forward. Making improvements to that this time around are going to be _very_ hard. Same story on the 997TT actually vs the 996TT.
Old 12-24-2008 | 03:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Verde
I hope you didn't take my comments as critical, just an observation. And, I'll re-read your site, but I thought I was looking specifically at the NA project cars. I have no reason to doubt your personal and organizations expertise. You folks are extremely highly regarded in the P-car universe, so I was accepting your comments as fact.
Again, I was citing the difference in your findings from the consistent comments from forum readers, under the guise of improved power, re their proclivity to do a complete exhaust system replacement on NA cars as well as the TT's.
Oh hey Verde, no not at all, I never took it that way and this is a good discussion Looking at the project page it's dominated by some 997TTs, GT3s (NA) and then some 997S. To be honest that's just a small sample and not updated but the engines in the 996NA and MK1 997S and layout do make it easier for a full header/cats/muffler system. Only on the newer MK2 and GT3s (and Caymans) did porsche switch out to this integrated header/cat design making it tougher for everyone thinking of making replacements. So for the MK1 997S can you make power with well made headers, cats and mufflers? Absolutely you can if tuned properly as well... I was mostly referring to the Mk2, GT3 and those cars really but much of what I said still applies to NA 911s in general about making power. It's not easy at all to do so on them... Like I tell most folks if you want really big power upgrades start with the turbo platform first I think. Hope that makes more sense

996/997 (MK1), exhaust, headers, cats, intake and software improvements can and do yield some gains even if it's hard. I have had issues with some headers and cats before though as stated above either failing/CELs or loosing low end tq but I just don't use/install those ones.
Old 12-24-2008 | 04:27 PM
am722
Drifting

Which options did you go for? I just wish I'd done the seats
I left it pretty bare:

Carrara white/black std leather
Sport buckets
Sport pasm
Thicker wheel
Bose (don't really want, but felt compelled)
ipod interface
Black gauges
Carbon door sills
floor mats
Old 12-24-2008 | 08:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by am722
I left it pretty bare:

Carrara white/black std leather
Sport buckets
Sport pasm
Thicker wheel
Bose (don't really want, but felt compelled)
ipod interface
Black gauges
Carbon door sills
floor mats
The thicker wheel is neat... Got that too. Sport PASM as well... The ipod/bluetooth stuff works prett well too on the PCM3 so I'm happy. I like the black gauges part and you will really like the seats too. Amazing and much better than having to do it now after the fact;(
Old 12-25-2008 | 01:46 AM
Verde
Advanced

Thanks for the follow up. Still sounds like a full exhaust swap on a NA P-car is on the margin for returning ones moneys-worth of performance increases.
Verde
P.S. BTW, did we all see you on TV this afternoon on the SpeedChannel Supercar show?

Oh hey Verde, no not at all, I never took it that way and this is a good discussion Looking at the project page it's dominated by some 997TTs, GT3s (NA) and then some 997S. To be honest that's just a small sample and not updated but the engines in the 996NA and MK1 997S and layout do make it easier for a full header/cats/muffler system. Only on the newer MK2 and GT3s (and Caymans) did porsche switch out to this integrated header/cat design making it tougher for everyone thinking of making replacements. So for the MK1 997S can you make power with well made headers, cats and mufflers? Absolutely you can if tuned properly as well... I was mostly referring to the Mk2, GT3 and those cars really but much of what I said still applies to NA 911s in general about making power. It's not easy at all to do so on them... Like I tell most folks if you want really big power upgrades start with the turbo platform first I think. Hope that makes more sense

996/997 (MK1), exhaust, headers, cats, intake and software improvements can and do yield some gains even if it's hard. I have had issues with some headers and cats before though as stated above either failing/CELs or loosing low end tq but I just don't use/install those ones.
Old 12-29-2008 | 09:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Verde
Thanks for the follow up. Still sounds like a full exhaust swap on a NA P-car is on the margin for returning ones moneys-worth of performance increases.
Verde
P.S. BTW, did we all see you on TV this afternoon on the SpeedChannel Supercar show?
No worries and my pleasure We just went with a design that'd work with the stock system (or aftermarket for that matter) but one that was quick, easy to install and doesn't drone. I'll show you guys the design and explain why the flow is in fact a little better theoretically once we get back to work. It's certainly going to take some $$$ to get power out of these set ups. We're hoping for around 18-20 with our set up and the EVOMSit software combined.

That was us! My mum told me they re-ran that show today as well! Gotta love the Xmas tapes/reruns eh?

We've got most of that show up here:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/media.php
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just an FYI folks, we installed our muffler bypass system on another local car yesterday and I know you folks wanted more pix etc....

On the car:

Stock vs ours

The kit:

James had the neat idea of setting the price at $997.09 (no kidding!) so let me know if you folks are interested. For more information feel free to email alex@sharkwerks.com or check our the product page:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193
Old 01-09-2009 | 06:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex, that looks good. Now if I just had a '09 997 to put it on.....
Old 01-09-2009 | 07:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Any dyno runs? Why did not choose not to do a X pipe?

Also somewhere in this thread you mention that the PDK does not work well on a dyno. Why would that be? Don't you just put it in manual and 4th gear and do your run?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2009 | 09:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gota911
Alex, that looks good. Now if I just had a '09 997 to put it on.....
Thanks Gotta911... If only there were more of them out there! With the way the economy is it's actually a shame for Porsche because they've really done such a good job with this updated model. Nobody is buying them though....
Originally Posted by mdrums
Any dyno runs? Why did not choose not to do a X pipe?

Also somewhere in this thread you mention that the PDK does not work well on a dyno. Why would that be? Don't you just put it in manual and 4th gear and do your run?

Thanks!
Hey mdrums, sadly the PDK isn't very condusive to dynos (not repeatable etc..). First you need an AWD set up (even for RWD) to keep the fronts rolling and then there's all kinds of other nice "features" that make the transmission freak out and shut down In terms of the design one day two of ownership we built an x-pipe but a few things made us decide to go a different way. But in basic terms, 1) It was honestly too quiet (think the the x-over area as a resonator), 2) It created a hot-spot 3) It didn't flow as well as a straighter through design and there's a reason why Porsche kept their center muffler to two separate banks. The lower pipe is right after the header/cat and is supposed to go into the center muffler (and u-bend which I believe we have improved upon) and feed the two side mufflers. By crossing over that far upstream if you will we were worried we'd actually hamper flow/hp. Would have been neat had it worked (was certainly a bit cheaper/easier for us to make). 4) We looked at the stock routing and decided not to mess with that but instead just get rid of the two sharp u-bends inside in favor of a straighter through design for better flow. James is the designer/expert and could explain it in much greater detail though if I could get him to stop working for 5 seconds
Old 01-11-2009 | 12:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Gotta911... If only there were more of them out there! With the way the economy is it's actually a shame for Porsche because they've really done such a good job with this updated model. Nobody is buying them though....

Hey mdrums, sadly the PDK isn't very condusive to dynos (not repeatable etc..). First you need an AWD set up (even for RWD) to keep the fronts rolling and then there's all kinds of other nice "features" that make the transmission freak out and shut down In terms of the design one day two of ownership we built an x-pipe but a few things made us decide to go a different way. But in basic terms, 1) It was honestly too quiet (think the the x-over area as a resonator), 2) It created a hot-spot 3) It didn't flow as well as a straighter through design and there's a reason why Porsche kept their center muffler to two separate banks. The lower pipe is right after the header/cat and is supposed to go into the center muffler (and u-bend which I believe we have improved upon) and feed the two side mufflers. By crossing over that far upstream if you will we were worried we'd actually hamper flow/hp. Would have been neat had it worked (was certainly a bit cheaper/easier for us to make). 4) We looked at the stock routing and decided not to mess with that but instead just get rid of the two sharp u-bends inside in favor of a straighter through design for better flow. James is the designer/expert and could explain it in much greater detail though if I could get him to stop working for 5 seconds

Alex, thanks for the reply and explaination. If you do not mind I have some questions for you.

1- what do you mean the X pipe created a hot-spot? Where, why and what is the downside of this.

2- I did not know the PDK could not go on a dyno. I really wanted to dyno my car one day. Do you think a PDK could ever be dyno'd if the fraont and rear wheels matched in speed?

This whole exhaust thing on the new 09 cars is really confusing because a few after market people are claiming different things.

Thanks in advance for the answers.If you'd rather PM me the answers I'd appreciate that.
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Alex, thanks for the reply and explaination. If you do not mind I have some questions for you.

1- what do you mean the X pipe created a hot-spot? Where, why and what is the downside of this.

2- I did not know the PDK could not go on a dyno. I really wanted to dyno my car one day. Do you think a PDK could ever be dyno'd if the fraont and rear wheels matched in speed?

This whole exhaust thing on the new 09 cars is really confusing because a few after market people are claiming different things.

Thanks in advance for the answers.If you'd rather PM me the answers I'd appreciate that.
Basically when we fabbed up an x-pipe a lot of heat was created at the center (x-over) and due to the flow restriction and turbulence (created a pressure point/back pressure). Having the exhaust gasses cross/meet in like that we were likely impeding flow vs stock (Porsche kept the banks separate). I'm not claiming any major HP improvements here but I do know that by creating a path of less resistance by eliminating the two very-sharp u-bends we're helping the flow vs stock. I haven't seen first-hand any of the other systems (other than the Cargraphic headers/cats etc...). Again, James is the expert and not me

I do think with more time/effort and tinkering you might be able to get something from a PDK car but I can totally understand/see why folks get 6speeds for development
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex

I have not seen the "inside" of the 997.2 center muffler so I need to ask. Are you saying that the OEM center muffler does not "cross over" the exhaust gasses from one side to the other? In other words, the gas that comes from the right CAT enters and exits on the right side of the center muffler and then moves into the right hand secondary muffler?

Quick Reply: Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo