Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New carbon fiber airbox release!!!!!! and group buy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
post back to back dyno results of
a) stock
b) X51
c) carbonio

Do 3 pulls each, and do them all on the same day, on the same dyno. Put a video on youtube. Demonstrate the virtue of your product, and you will sell dozens of overpriced intakes.
+1...make sure you use a Dynojet with a built in weather station...prove it...so the weather data entry can't be fudged to make 1 product look better than the other.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sadiq
post back to back dyno results of
a) stock
b) X51
c) carbonio

Do 3 pulls each, and do them all on the same day, on the same dyno. Put a video on youtube. Demonstrate the virtue of your product, and you will sell dozens of overpriced intakes.
Carbonio has not in the passed and most likely will never in the future test any intakes on a dyno as they believe (and I agree) that it's not the best way to test an intake, especially on a Porsche.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GR997S
So how many do we have for the group buy?.....Anybody at all?
We don't have anyone so far.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
- Over extended driving, the air inlet temp of the X51 was consistently much higher than that of the Carbonio unit. The X51 holds a lot of heat and transfers it to the inlet air while the carbon unit does not. While part of the problem resides in the material and shape of the X51, the filter placement is optimized for reduced engine noise rather than full performance.

- The dual inlets of the X51 do not flow more air than the single one on the Carbonio unit. This is because Carbonio took advantage of inlet space that the X51 could not because of its filter placement. The plenum volume on the Carbonio is considerably larger than the X51 resulting in more cool exterior air being accessed by the inlet filter than in the X51.

- The X51 intake requires the cutting of the engine cover which takes away from the re-sale value of the car. The Carbonio unit installs in minutes and can be removed returning the car to totally OEM without any modification. The cars value is not affected, it is not damaged potentially causing problems with leasing companies, and the Carbonio unit can be sold to recover a good part of its initial cost; all things not possible with the X51.

Where was the air inlet temperature measured?

Where on the X51 airbox was its temperature recorded and where on your unit was it measured? Is that an apple to apple comparison or spots chosen for a particular reason?

How do you measure air flow quantity? Where are your sensors placed?

I have passed this question along to Carbonio, I will let you know when I hear back from them as I do not know at this time. The question has never been asked yet.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
Carbonio has not in the passed and most likely will never in the future test any intakes on a dyno
Then do it yourself? In the end, YOU'RE the one selling them, aren't you?

as they believe (and I agree) that it's not the best way to test an intake
And a 1/4 mile is better, because there are NO factors in quarter mile time except for air intakes.

especially on a Porsche.
Porsches are magical and the normal laws of physics do not apply.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm smelling a big, fat donut of a sale on these products....better to get one of those kazoos and make some loud noise through your open window..at least then you'll have the sensation of moving quicker...haha
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I do understand that the ram air effect of a car going 100mph might show some more HP than one on the dyno...however the price for this product is outrageous.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I went over to the sixspeed online posting for this item and the reaction over there is very similar to this on Rennlist.

I'm sure it's a very high quality product in its construction but I would tend to lean toward that inferior piece of space age material (i.e., plastic) known as the X51 airbox. I think that one looks like it belongs.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:47 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Sadiq;6114206]Then do it yourself? In the end, YOU'RE the one selling them, aren't you?

We could, but we don't have a 997 here to test it on

I'm willing to work out a special deal for anyone who would like to purchase one to keep at a special price to test it out for us and post up your opinions. I have someone interested on 6speed that's interested at the moment but nothing finalized yet. Will keep ya'll posted.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

You mean this thing hasn't been tested yet??
Old 12-29-2008, 02:00 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

By GMP? No we haven't tested it. This product was designed and branded by Carbonio, so they did all the testing for it. This may come across as GMP simply taking Carbonio's word for it but we have a long standing relationship with Carbonio and our clients have always been pleased with their products.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that somone has accepted our offer to be the first forum member to try out this intake. The Intake will be shipping out next week as the customer is out of town this week. He has gladly accepted to post up his honest opinion about the product and is more than welcome to put it on a dyno or take it to the track. He currently has the IPD Plenum upgrade, I'm not sure if he has an ECU upgrade or aftermarket exhaust system yet. These details will be posted when he posts his review.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Quick Reply: New carbon fiber airbox release!!!!!! and group buy!