Sponsored by:

Re: 2007 Z06 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2007 Z06 Corvette

I figured I'd make another thread about my opinions on another supercar we just took in trade.

The 2007 Corvette Z06.

This is my first trade in w/ this car. Client wanted out and into something new that he could drive all the time- Poor thing sat in the garage and only has about 2700 miles on it.

Atomic Orange w/ Chromed Z06 wheels and some sort of premium pkg. No navi.

I have to admit that I've never driven one until recently. First thing I noticed upon getting in it is how 'Vette it felt to me. I assumed it would have a more 'special' feeling...better materials for the interior ect. But it really didn't stand out in anyway shape or form inside. Outside it's substantial. It's a big car. Fat rear tires. Fat rear end.....loooooong hood. Not what I'm used to.

Inside, typical (as I said) Vette. I was shocked how much space is behind you under the hatch back. Looks like you could put a bed back there!

However, once I started it up and put it into 1st; I was shocked how EASY it was to use the clutch. I was expecting something like the GT3, or even the old C5 Z06 clutches. Wayyyyy lighter then expected. Nice touch I felt on this car.

Rolled off and upto 75mph quickly. Even w/ cold tires she didn't seem to slip as bad as I thought. I could be just not upto speed on the Transmision,but it felt 'easier' then previous Corvettes 6 speeds. No? Yes?

It's really bizarre the sensations you get as compared to the GT-R for example. I felt that car was REALLLY fast getting upto 75. Almost shocking fast. The 997 GT2 gave me that feeling; but more so w/ the RWD on the GT2. The Z06 felt like it was very civil getting upto speed.

My lowly opinion but the GT2 felt more 'raw' then a lot of cars I've driven.

Anywho- I took it home, and drove it yesterday. Easy to drive for such a fast car. But that's it. It's just a really fast car. It handled nicely. It's suspension wasn't bone jarring as I would have expected. I guess I was expecting- over all- more of a GT3 type of drive. But it's a lot more user (for a DD) friendly.

The scary part was the depreciation. The car listed for $78k...........I couldn't get $49k from a wholesaler or Chevy dealership for the car.

Yikes!!

But man for mid $50's- that car would be a nice toy. Not my cup of tea- but still a fun toy for that money.

I can see why there's peeps here buying them for dailys....or a 2nd toy. It's really inexpensive fun if you buy it right.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep the Vette has always been about getting the most bang for the buck. I have not owned the newer C6 but I had plenty of C4 and C5 models. IF you can take them for what they are they really are a fun car.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep the Vette has always been about getting the most bang for the buck. I have not owned the newer C6 but I had plenty of C4 and C5 models. IF you can take them for what they are they really are a fun car.
Good thing it doesn't have that heavy and pesky PDK wheel, eh?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love that Atomic Orange color though. That would be my pick if I get one
Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I love that Atomic Orange color though. That would be my pick if I get one
I agree. Car is sharp in that color.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I figured I'd make another thread about my opinions on another supercar we just took in trade.

The 2007 Corvette Z06.

This is my first trade in w/ this car. Client wanted out and into something new that he could drive all the time- Poor thing sat in the garage and only has about 2700 miles on it.

Atomic Orange w/ Chromed Z06 wheels and some sort of premium pkg. No navi.

I have to admit that I've never driven one until recently. First thing I noticed upon getting in it is how 'Vette it felt to me. I assumed it would have a more 'special' feeling...better materials for the interior ect. But it really didn't stand out in anyway shape or form inside. Outside it's substantial. It's a big car. Fat rear tires. Fat rear end.....loooooong hood. Not what I'm used to.

Inside, typical (as I said) Vette. I was shocked how much space is behind you under the hatch back. Looks like you could put a bed back there!

However, once I started it up and put it into 1st; I was shocked how EASY it was to use the clutch. I was expecting something like the GT3, or even the old C5 Z06 clutches. Wayyyyy lighter then expected. Nice touch I felt on this car.

Rolled off and upto 75mph quickly. Even w/ cold tires she didn't seem to slip as bad as I thought. I could be just not upto speed on the Transmision,but it felt 'easier' then previous Corvettes 6 speeds. No? Yes?

It's really bizarre the sensations you get as compared to the GT-R for example. I felt that car was REALLLY fast getting upto 75. Almost shocking fast. The 997 GT2 gave me that feeling; but more so w/ the RWD on the GT2. The Z06 felt like it was very civil getting upto speed.

My lowly opinion but the GT2 felt more 'raw' then a lot of cars I've driven.

Anywho- I took it home, and drove it yesterday. Easy to drive for such a fast car. But that's it. It's just a really fast car. It handled nicely. It's suspension wasn't bone jarring as I would have expected. I guess I was expecting- over all- more of a GT3 type of drive. But it's a lot more user (for a DD) friendly.

The scary part was the depreciation. The car listed for $78k...........I couldn't get $49k from a wholesaler or Chevy dealership for the car.

Yikes!!

But man for mid $50's- that car would be a nice toy. Not my cup of tea- but still a fun toy for that money.

I can see why there's peeps here buying them for dailys....or a 2nd toy. It's really inexpensive fun if you buy it right.
Thanks for another great observation post.

The Z06 is an amazing car. One thing that constantly surprises me is that despite how big it feels and actually is, the car is a whole lot ligher than what you would expect.

The C6 interior is worlds better than the C5 but it is a shame that Chevy can't see fit to offer customers at least the option of decent seats. I've read this hasn't changed with the new uber-ZR1 either. A shame because great seats are an intergral part of a good driving experience and the seats in the C6 are simply dog crap.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night's Top Gear, the trio headed to USA and drove a Corvette, Caddy and Challenger to Salt Lake flats.

Clarkson was in the Corvette; he finished the show by saying the car was utterly brilliant. Something to be really proud of (ditto the Dodge and Caddy)
Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM
rvklein
Racer

Now the caddy is what I've choose for a DD... 550hp, comfort and utility.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously considered a Z06 before I bought my 997S. In the end it was the cheezy interior of the Z06 that turned me off. Instead of building the ZR1, GM should have built a Vette with an interior to match the quality of Porsche or MB. I don't need to go 205 mph but better seats and higher quality interior materials would be something that I could actually appreciate.

The main thing that I noticed when driving a Vette was that it felt like you were sitting over the rear wheels with the front end WAY out there somewhere. It felt weird but I 'm sure that you get used to it.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

It would appear that clearly- the US Auto makers don't understand how a modern Interior should function or work in a Production Super Car.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I seriously considered a Z06 before I bought my 997S. In the end it was the cheezy interior of the Z06 that turned me off. Instead of building the ZR1, GM should have built a Vette with an interior to match the quality of Porsche or MB. I don't need to go 205 mph but better seats and higher quality interior materials would be something that I could actually appreciate.

The main thing that I noticed when driving a Vette was that it felt like you were sitting over the rear wheels with the front end WAY out there somewhere. It felt weird but I 'm sure that you get used to it.
+1

When buying my 997S the only real competitor was the E92 M3 for me but the Z06 is certainly on the short list of cool cars to own. It is primal, I love it. If these cars were people I think the 911 would be a great athlete, but a preppy athlete the Z06 would be the streetfighter your mom would not want you hanging out with. If or when prices come in to the $30s I might be tempted. I had a few in a recent track event in Road America, I kept up /passed them in the twisties but in the straights oh man nothing like them, in more talented hands they would be incredible.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Get the Z06 and swap out the seats for some Recaro's or something like that.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:22 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

That's a very good insight.

I've instructed in them and driven them for the past two years at the local Corvette club. I've owned three myself.

The new Z06s are incredibly impressive in my book and I think they're delivering more bang for the buck than ever. For lots less than GT2 money you can turn them into something (like a street legal ALMS racer) that will waste a GT2.

I have a friend who did this and shows up at our local Porsche DEs (he owns a Porsche too) and steams past everyone- including Supercups- but he did throw away a lot of stock parts (starting with the brakes) in the process.

They do have a cheesy interior- and I still wonder about the quality of basic stuff you take for granted in a Porsche. Everyone I ever owned (a 1969, 79 and 85) leaked like a sieve. A love/hate relationship and the hate part started with the Chevy dealer.

I'd still kill for a 62 convertible in silver with white coves and red interior.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

If I was to take chage of the Corvette Division: I'd give every client what they really want.

1) Different engine sizes and transmissions including a real double clutch system.
2) Completely customizable interiors w/ MUCH better standard interiors
3) Completely customizable interior options
4) Exotic Materials
5) Different wheel options
6) Lower production numbers. Hand crafted parts.
7) Built MUCH MUCH better

8) SOLD AND SERVICED IN THEIR OWN DEALERSHIP. Sold by Professional and Specially Trained Sales Consultants.

9) YES. It would work. 100%

10) Don't believe me? See "Porsche".

Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
If I was to take chage of the Corvette Division: I'd give every client what they really want.

1) Different engine sizes and transmissions including a real double clutch system.
2) Completely customizable interiors w/ MUCH better standard interiors
3) Completely customizable interior options
4) Exotic Materials
5) Different wheel options
6) Lower production numbers. Hand crafted parts.
7) Built MUCH MUCH better

8) SOLD AND SERVICED IN THEIR OWN DEALERSHIP. Sold by Professional and Specially Trained Sales Consultants.

9) YES. It would work. 100%

10) Don't believe me? See "Porsche".

I think the Cadillac XLR was supposed to be the GM product for those of us who are potential Corvette buyers but want better quality. But 1) the XLR is targeted at MB SL buyers not Porsche buyers, and 2) it may have been a good concept but it was poorly executed. XLR sales have been miserable. IMHO the XLR is Butt-Ugly.

Quick Reply: Re: 2007 Z06 Corvette