Sponsored by:

Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts

I think I am going to cancel my 09 TT order which is scheduled to be built in the near future (Nov build spot but paint to sample).

My decision to cancel is based on a few variables.

The first and perhaps obvious one is that there is some tremendous uncertainty in the economic outlook. While my wife and I live well within our means, I’m not sure I can justify spending 150K on a new turbo right now.

The second factor stems from my recent introduction to PCA DEs. After 4 days of DE with PCA in my C4S this year, I now realize just ‘how much car’ my 3400 pound yellow hiliter really is. It is such a blast to drive on the track and I have so much to learn in terms of driving it closer to its potential.

I am so taken with tracking now that I am confident it will be part of my life forever. So,… I’m thinking I can reroute some money into tracking my C4S. One of the things that comes to mind would be getting a utility trailer that I could hook up to my 997 so I could bring more ‘stuff’ to the track like track rubber and more basic tools. I saw a Boxster outfitted like this last Monday at NHIS. I could also invest in a separate set of 18” rims and rubber for the track. I’d also have to think about bolstering the safety level of the car with a partial roll cage +/- seats/harnesses.

Then today,….out of the blue, my mother offered to give me her ‘99 Boxster and suggested that I could make a track car out of it !!!!! I don’t know if I would do this or not, but do I have a cool mom or what??? And she’s 70 years old. She and my father used to race an Austin Healey back in the 50s.

I think if my love affair with the track continues through next season that I would have to seriously consider taking this old Boxster and making a dedicated track car out of it. I don’t know anything about the suitability of the 99 Boxster as a track car, so I’d have to do lots of research. Anyhow, I don’t think I would do anything to the car until well into next season depending on how my DEs go.

What do you all think? Is there anyone else with cold feet stemming from the economy right now? Anybody here add a utility trailer to their 997? Have I lost my mind?

I have to admit that I feel sad about canceling my TT order. I just have to keep reminding myself that I’m lucky to have the car that I have now,….which is no slouch!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, as you know from my case, there are always alternatives other than "TT" or "no TT". In my case it wasn't the economic outlook that made me cancel my TT order, but the basic thought was the same... do I really need that 150K car, or can I use my discretionary funds for other stuff of equal or even higher perceived value?

I, too, like to live well within my means (German frugality), so I decided to spend more money on my home construction (which is more of an investment), plus I went with a 100K car and will instead blow some additional bucks while driving it around Europe for four weeks.

Cognitive dissonance made me ponder over my cancellation for several days, but ultimately I came to grips with it. Now I'm sure I did the right thing. So while you are feeling sad right now, I think that you - too - are making a good decision. I'm not sure how long a Boxster is going to satisfy your track needs, though.

P.S.: Oh, and hooking up a trailer to your 997... yes, I think you have indeed lost your mind.

Last edited by Soulteacher; 10-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Considering their will be a new better TT comming out around the corner I wouldn't feel to bad.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dave, a couple of comments:
1) sorry to hear about the TT. I know you were really looking forward to getting your Orange Monster.
2) I am glad you are getting into DE. That is cool.
3) About the Boxster... contact Ray S here on Rennlist. He has a Boxster track car and a 996 that I think he uses as a daily driver. He usually hangs out (albeit not like you hang out ) on the 996 Forum and probably on the Boxster Forum (I never go tto the Boxster Forum).
4) I have seen a few guys that have a small utility trailer hooked to the back of the P-car. I recall seeing pics of a Boxster doing that.
Good luck with your DE addiction. Remember that is a very slippery slope. Keep us posted.

Last edited by gota911; 10-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
I have seen a few guys that have a small utility trailer hooked to the back of the P-car
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Dave, as you know from my case, there are always alternatives other than "TT" or "no TT". In my case it wasn't the economic outlook that made me cancel my TT order, but the basic thought was the same... do I really need that 150K car, or can I use my discretionary funds for other stuff of equal or even higher perceived value?

I, too, like to live well within my means (German frugality), so I decided to spend more money on my home construction (which is more of an investment), plus I went with a 100K car and will instead blow some additional bucks while driving it around Europe for four weeks.

Cognitive dissonance made me ponder over my cancellation for several days, but ultimately I came to grips with it. Now I'm sure I did the right thing. So while you are feeling sad right now, I think that you - too - are making a good decision. I'm not sure how long a Boxster is going to satisfy your track needs, though.

P.S.: Oh, and hooking up a trailer to your 997... yes, I think you have indeed lost your mind.
I think this is good wisdom Wolfgang,....and as always, eloquently stated.
You're probably correct in that over time I'll be happy with the decision. I'll probably just track my C4S next year and then consider doing some serious track mods to the Boxster if my research comes up with good stuff!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Dave, a couple of comments:
1) sorry to hear about the TT. I know you were really looking forward to getting your Orange Monster.
2) I am glad you are getting into DE. That is cool.
3) About the Bixster... contact Ray S here on Rennlist. He has a Boxster track car and a 996 that I think he uses as a daily driver. He usually hangs out (albeit not like you habg out ) on the 996 Forum and probably on the Boxster Forum (I never go tto the Boxster Forum).
4) I have seen a few guys that have a small utility trailer hooked to the back of the P-car. I recall seeing pics of a Boxster doing that.
Good luck with your DE addiction. Remember that is a very slippery slope. Keep us posted.
Thanks Tim. As for point #3, since the Boxster is smaller 'it' will look even bigger!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Nice find Wolfgang! Do you know whose car that is?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Considering their will be a new better TT comming out around the corner I wouldn't feel to bad.
Perhaps. Time will tell and I'll always love Porsches so perhaps one day!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
Nice find Wolfgang! Do you know whose car that is?
I downloaded it from Flickr. The owner's name is Daniel Doman, but that's all I know. Sorry.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Dave,

I applaud your decision all the way. Not because the turbo isn't a truely awesome car. The fact is other 997's including your current ride are also awesome cars. If your love is truely finding out how fast you can lap a certain track or how much you can improve your slalom time all you need is the current car and better inputs from the driver. I'm sure your visit to PSDS will open you to a new world of 997 ability. If tracking is truely what you want to do it may even push you into a totally different direction (GT3).

Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I've seen and hear of the same thing... falling in love with the 997 and wanting to track it more often.

Now, as to the trailer, I know one person who wanted the Turbo as well. His answer? A used Cayenne and a trailer to tow the car and parts to the track. This way, the car is fresh, driver is relaxed and more items can be taken with you.

Or just use any old SUV to trailer it.

Enjoy more track time!

Deanski
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Dave,

I applaud your decision all the way. Not because the turbo isn't a truely awesome car. The fact is other 997's including your current ride are also awesome cars. If your love is truely finding out how fast you can lap a certain track or how much you can improve your slalom time all you need is the current car and better inputs from the driver. I'm sure your visit to PSDS will open you to a new world of 997 ability. If tracking is truely what you want to do it may even push you into a totally different direction (GT3).

Best of luck.
I totally agree!
While a GT3 could happen one day, for now I am committed to having a daily driver that is comfortable with the Boston winters,....and the C4S works very well in this regard.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Dave,

I've followed your posts on discovering the track, and honestly once I read them, it occurred to me that the turbo was probably not the right move to make. First of all, as you've already discovered, the 997 is a car MUCH more capable than 99.9% of the people who drive them. Secondly, as you progress through the ranks in the DE world, you'll most likely get to a point where you'll want different seats, harnesses, track brakes & tires... All of which are to varying degrees incompatible with a daily driver (or even an occasional date-night driver). Furthermore, I find that fun at the track has little to do with horsepower, and more with handling and "tossability". I went part-way down the road of making my 997S into a trackable car, and then stopped, reversed the mods, and bought a 2000 996, which I've done a fair amount of work to so far, and am converting to a full race car. I'll have less money in that car and my 997S combined than a turbo will cost, and in one outing I've already had more fun in the 996 than I've ever had in my 997. And... I'm faster in my 300hp 996 than I am in my 355hp 997S.

As far as a tire trailer, I've done exactly that. I installed a trailer hitch on my 996, bought a 40x48" trailer from Harbor Freight, and rigged it to haul tires and tools. I can now arrive at the track with track tires, a floor jack, a compressor, bag of tools, martini kit, humidor...

Remember my post about "skip to step #10"? I think you may be there.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Your decision TT vs economy is personal, but it makes sense.

Re trailer: have you thought about trailering your P-car by another car/SUV?

The Boxster as a track car is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts