Sponsored by:

Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Uh, oh, I see a spec Miata in Coochas' future!
I don't know... Dave's last DE with a Miata did not go so well...
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

In the last 8 years alone, I have owned 7 Porsches 4 Ferraris 2 Maseratis, 7 BMWs, 2 Corvettes, 2 Mercedes, and Audi, a Nissan, and about 6 different SUV's. Yes I am a true carnut, but after 50 some years on this planets I have finnaly (after losing large sums of money on changing cars as often as I did), that there will always be something faster, something newer, and something nicer looking coming. I have decided that I will keep the cars I have until I am too old to enjoy them anymore. I will keep tweaking them as time goes by, my 997S is supercharged and waiting for VF's stage 2, the Gallardo is in the shop now being done to my spec, and I have even had my Range Rover done. My wife though has caught the fever and she has her eye on a few things, and my 4 year old twin boys already can spot almost every car on the road when we go out for a drive. I say enjoy every chance you can to drive one of these great machines.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
PeterC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think I am going to cancel my 09 TT order which is scheduled to be built in the near future (Nov build spot but paint to sample).

My decision to cancel is based on a few variables.

The first and perhaps obvious one is that there is some tremendous uncertainty in the economic outlook. While my wife and I live well within our means, I’m not sure I can justify spending 150K on a new turbo right now. ...

What do you all think? Is there anyone else with cold feet stemming from the economy right now? Anybody here add a utility trailer to their 997? Have I lost my mind?

!
I think its a prudent decision and it looks like the economy may soften further. I think the used car buying opportunities are going to be very good, so I would sit back and consider your options.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
What's that down by his knee??

Dave - I know your pain/joy my brother. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least for keeping your C4S. My only bummer is not getting to buy that nasty orange beast when you moved on!

Build that Boxster up - I bet it'd be a LOT of fun. I think I'll do the same with my Cayman in a couple of years - full cage, sticky rubber, better brakes, etc. Avoiding the track is job #1 these days - I can't afford the addiction at this point!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice photoshop, Wolfgang! I noticed that Dave is "hanging out" again and trolling for some action. It looks like they took the "bait."
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Dave,

I've followed your posts on discovering the track, and honestly once I read them, it occurred to me that the turbo was probably not the right move to make. First of all, as you've already discovered, the 997 is a car MUCH more capable than 99.9% of the people who drive them. Secondly, as you progress through the ranks in the DE world, you'll most likely get to a point where you'll want different seats, harnesses, track brakes & tires... All of which are to varying degrees incompatible with a daily driver (or even an occasional date-night driver). Furthermore, I find that fun at the track has little to do with horsepower, and more with handling and "tossability". I went part-way down the road of making my 997S into a trackable car, and then stopped, reversed the mods, and bought a 2000 996, which I've done a fair amount of work to so far, and am converting to a full race car. I'll have less money in that car and my 997S combined than a turbo will cost, and in one outing I've already had more fun in the 996 than I've ever had in my 997. And... I'm faster in my 300hp 996 than I am in my 355hp 997S.

As far as a tire trailer, I've done exactly that. I installed a trailer hitch on my 996, bought a 40x48" trailer from Harbor Freight, and rigged it to haul tires and tools. I can now arrive at the track with track tires, a floor jack, a compressor, bag of tools, martini kit, humidor...

Remember my post about "skip to step #10"? I think you may be there.
Mike,

I have been toying with the idea of a 996 track car, but the thought of grenading motors is a turn off. (Putting a 15k motor in a 20K car seems like an incredible waste of money.
How do you see the reliability of the motor vs the cost for a new crate motor?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, that Turbo would have been one badass machine but it sounds like you're making the right call. What about moving to a 997.2? There is a post on the GT3 board indicating that Porsche is putting this new block in all their race cars, which is a pretty big sea change imo.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

OMG Wolfgang! I've been laughing for about 2 minutes straight.
Well played sir,....well played.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dave, check out the Racing/DE Forum.

There is a spec Boxster racing series going on so yes, the Boxster is a capable track car.

Your C4S is more capable than you (and most of us). TT is overkill and can feel a bit heavy (because it is) on the track.

I had a deposit in for a 997 GT3 and was going to trade my Carrera S. Instead, for a few more bucks, I KEPT my Carrera S and bought a used 996 GT3. Great move. Neither is compromised. Really think over how much you want to modify your C4S. THe line in the sand for me was putting seats in my Carrera S. Gt3 seats don't fit me well (too tall) so I had to use something else which necessitated racing buckets (driver seat bolted to floor) etc. etc. etc.

Although I have seen hitches on 911s, including a 996TT and a 997 GT3, most guys go to trailers as they are far more verstatile (breakdown anyone?). Your Cayenne is a great tow vehicle. I'd suggest something open, light and aluminum like a Trailex.
I think that's sound advice. I'm not feeling doing any sig mods on my C4S other than safety stuff as I love the car just the way it is.
I need to look into 1) how to make a spec Boxster and 2) where the hell I'd park a trailer being a city boy. When my mother offered me her old Boxster yesterday she seemed OK with the idea of a trailer if it would fit in her garage - which I think it would - there's gotta be about 7 -8 feet of extra space where the car is now. If I really continue to obsess, I'll head out there with a tape measure and some Trailex specs this week !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OneManTX
Logic is not involved when deciding between a 100K car and a 150K car. Turbos, or whatever, will always be there when and if the time comes.

Have fun!
True, true.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Dave: I completely understand your decision. In fact, when you announced your plans to order the orange Turbo, I kind of wondered why, but assumed you had lots of money to burn so it didn't matter. I think it is wise in these very uncertain and troubling financial times to err on the side of caution. I think the Boxster may be a great new direction to go, and with your improved driving skills you will likely find just how good they (apparently) are on the track.
I'm signed up for a driver's clinic tomorrow, so may become hooked on DEs soon.
Admittedly if I had "lots" of cash to burn, I would likely get the TT,....then again, I'd probably also get a nice 911 track car, trailer, rented garage etc etc etc!
Enjoy your DE...people aren't kidding around when they talk about it being addictive.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Uh, oh, I see a spec Miata in Coochas' future!
There were a few of those at each DE I went to....pretty popular from what I gather....and pretty quick too!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
What's that down by his knee??

Dave - I know your pain/joy my brother. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least for keeping your C4S. My only bummer is not getting to buy that nasty orange beast when you moved on!

Build that Boxster up - I bet it'd be a LOT of fun. I think I'll do the same with my Cayman in a couple of years - full cage, sticky rubber, better brakes, etc. Avoiding the track is job #1 these days - I can't afford the addiction at this point!
Thanks pal....been meaning to PM you!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by am722
Dave, that Turbo would have been one badass machine but it sounds like you're making the right call. What about moving to a 997.2? There is a post on the GT3 board indicating that Porsche is putting this new block in all their race cars, which is a pretty big sea change imo.
I think the 997.2 is a great machine with some nice 'upgrades,' but not enough for me to want to swap my screaming yellow hiliter.

As others have said, there will always be Porsches to buy.

BTW, has anyone else wondered why we keep referring to the 'new' 997 as 997.2? Shouldn't it be 997.1 (i.e. version 1.1) with version 1.0 being assumed to be 997?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Mike,

I have been toying with the idea of a 996 track car, but the thought of grenading motors is a turn off. (Putting a 15k motor in a 20K car seems like an incredible waste of money.
How do you see the reliability of the motor vs the cost for a new crate motor?
Good question. I've had varying reports on the oil starvation issue, which as I understand it is the primary concern on 996 engine reliability (real experts feel free to chime in). My car has the X51 oil pan kit on it that is supposed to help to solve or at least mitigate the problem. I've talked to some folks at Porsche dealerships (name withheld to protect the innocent) , and they swear that they are seeing zero problems in cars with the oil pan "fix". We'll see. The good news is that factory crate engines are more like $8k to $10k. This is at least better than the rebuild cost on an air-cooled engine, which is around $16k.

Quick Reply: Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts