Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A very wise and reasonable choice Dave. I am sure that although the decision to NOT buy has been an emotional one, this whole ordeal and the 5 pages worth of posts have left you with a feeling of relief I hope.
However this quote below and in light of the market conditions I think would have left you with a big hole in your pocket as well, apart from the guilt, as I really think there is no market out there... The US is a big market place, on a completely different scale than Greece, but as I am on a similar boat thinking of selling my big *** blue baby, I find there are big financial concessions to be made to sell such a car these days. To the point where I wonder how much its worth it. That decision to sell or not to sell say 20% lower than where you thought could have had a similar result!

Originally Posted by Coochas

THANKS. Now I'm feeling guilty for thinking about leaving my big *** yellow car.
In any case, I am wholeheartedly behind you as well as most everyone here on your decision and I wish you tons of fun. Think... a trailer behind the 911, pulling a roll caged - taped over headlight - low slung - sticker clad - slick tired boxster... that would make a heck of a sight arriving at the paddock...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks Nick !
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
This why everyone gets into spec Miatas!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...ion_185215.htm
O-M-G.
No thanks!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after some contemplation, I too performed the Coochas maneuver and pulled the plug on my 997 order. Over the past few weeks, I had become increasingly uncomfortable with the thought of getting my third new 997 in as many years, while my graduating students can’t even find jobs, much less buy decent new cars.

Now, since I don’t want my decision to be counterproductive, I cut a deal with myself. Instead of dumping the allocated $120K (car plus trip) on the European economy, I decided to split it in half and will spend most of the money here.

More precisely, I will keep my current 997 and over the next 12-18 months will spend about $60K on the local economy for various goods and services that I had not planned to purchase. I have to yet figure out what exactly I’m going to do, most likely it will be - in one way or another - related to the new home construction I’m just about to wrap up.

In order to not be a complete party pooper to myself, some time soon I will then decide what to do with the other half; quite possibly I will use it to treat my open-air withdrawals by buying a convertible in the summer (in order of preference, since I’m keeping the 997: used SL550, new 328/335, used 997, or the forthcoming A5).

That way I won’t exceed the original amount I had allocated; could get another cabriolet while keeping my 997; and will help the local economy. I’m still going on a trip to Europe, but have moved that to August since I’m going to be in Germany anyway for business. IF I'm getting the 328/335, I might do European delivery then.

The weird thing is, I’m feeling really good about my decision. No cognitive dissonance, especially not after this morning. We had our commencement ceremony where I serve as a faculty marshal and as such I get to very briefly talk to each single student before they walk up the ramp onto the stage; it’s sad that many of them will have to continue waiting tables for some time, and it's just not the right time for me to spend my money abroad. Anyway, except for not getting PDK, it might actually even be the better deal overall for now.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Hey Wolfgang,
So,...it's called the "Coochas Maneuver?" LOL.
Anyhow, sounds like good logic. You have a great car right now and Porsche will continue to build these cool cars long after we turn to ashes. Like you always tell someone after a break up, "there will be another."
I'm going to count the 8-grand or so I've spent so far on my 986 as part of the economic stimulus plan!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
So,...it's called the "Coochas Maneuver?"
Yes, that's the temporary name it got. Once you become proficient on the track, the "Coochas Maneuver" will refer to something else...

Well, quite fittingly, I just received the following email from one of the graduates I talked to today: "My resumé is out there, but I'm still stuck at [a pizza place] and again indebted to my mom and dad for taking care of January bills. My parents have also filled my cupboards with foods and my refrigerator with milk. I have been in a horrible slump, and I've pushed my friends away. I would love to spend time with them, but I must confess that I'm near broke and unable to bar hop and do this and that - the this and that of the employed. I'm afraid of not finding work. I'm afraid that our crippled economy is . . . crippled for not just months, but for years."

It's frustrating because that's another kid I've known since he was a freshman.

Quick Reply: Probably Canceling my TT Order ,...and some other thoughts