Sponsored by:

Bose Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
A bit OT, but here is the only Bose headunit, launched in the Ferrari 612 (and perhaps a coming Masserati model as well):

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...stem/index.jsp

Don't be surprised if this is never seen or heard from again.
The 599 & 430 use a BOSE headunit..or at least one that says Bose on it.. -- Ferrari dumped Becker awhile ago.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, I've been told (but I haven't been able to confirm) that having the Bose name on something such as a head unit doesn't necessarily mean that Bose made the unit (or speakers for that matter), and that the Bose name gets displayed on systems that may only have a Bose DSP chip in them. I don't really care what name they put on to impress buyers, I'm more concerned about the sound quality. I've had Bose and HK systems in various cars recently, and none of them have sounded as good as the no-name unit in my 94 Volvo 850 turbo wagon. The sound in that car had more presence and sound quality than any Mercedes or Porsche I have owned since, partly I expect due to the fact that they placed the mid-range and tweeters high up on the doors rather than low down where the sound gets muffled and lost.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
The 599 & 430 use a BOSE headunit..or at least one that says Bose on it.. -- Ferrari dumped Becker awhile ago.
The only Bose headunit in the world is the one which I posted a link to.
Designed specifically for the Ferrari.

Anything else is just 'Bose' logos based on a marketing agreement. The GM headunits had 'Bose' on them a while back....again, just marketing, not Bose hardware.

The only Bose hardware is amplifiers and speakers in the OEM audio business.

Trust me.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
-- Ferrari dumped Becker awhile ago.
Perhaps.
However, when Becker won the Mercedes S class a few years ago and just about everything else for Mercedes shortly thereafter (long story), they were faced with far too much work just supporting product (and fixing bugs), let alone developing new hardware.

So Ferrari was 'dropped' due to lack of attention from Becker.
FWIW, a few years ago, Porsche didn't get much attention from Becker either (just take a look at the headunits); however that is beginning to change as Porsche/VW becomes more of a volume OEM customer.

FWIW2, there is one other company in the world who makes MOST headunits, that would be a very large/well known Japanese OEM.

Quick Reply: Bose Premium