Bose Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
FWIW... I strongly disagree.

The Bose unit in my 911 is better than the standard stereo but that aint saying much.

Compare it to the Mark Levinson unit in my Lexus... night and day. And I've heard the Bang Olufsen (sp?) unit is the new Audi S8 and it was stellar.

I'm told Porsche might going to another high end stereo name for future products anyway.

However, the difference is much more than the make of the audio gear, its the change in the listening room.

Rather than sitting in a 911, you are sitting in a Lexus or Audi, which has entirely different acoustic properties and sound isolation.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
However, the difference is much more than the make of the audio gear, its the change in the listening room.

Rather than sitting in a 911, you are sitting in a Lexus or Audi, which has entirely different acoustic properties and sound isolation.
I don't disagree with your statement. But...

The Mark Levinson unit in a current Lexus SC430 (which is a two door, four seater that is similar in size to the 911) is light years better than the Porsche. One could argue that sound deadening, etc. is better in the Lexus and that's true. But the top goes down on the Lexus and this complicates sound imaging by a huge margin.

Moreover, the upgraded Bang & Olufsan (sp?) stereo in the Audi R8 is also light years ahead of the Bose unit in the P car.

The fact is that most Bose audio units that I've experienced are not that good at all. Bose has huge name brand recognition.

And as I said... I have heard that Porsche is dropping Bose for future products and going with a much lesser known, higher end name beginning with the forthcoming Panamera sedan.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Radio? U mean this car comes with a radio? Damn, I was wondering what that gadget was in the console....the sound of the exhaust, wind in my face, more than enough music for me...I think in 8 months I have turned the radio on twice....seriously!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I sit in the car with the engine off, and listen to the Bose, it really is not too bad, but the wonderful engine sounds drown out the radio/CD (fine with me)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And as I said... I have heard that Porsche is dropping Bose for future products and going with a much lesser known, higher end name beginning with the forthcoming Panamera sedan.
That is not public information.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GHills
No one buys German rides for the electronics. Buddy of mine was looking at an 01 or possibly 02 996 with its standard - wait for it - "cassette player"......

"No highs, no lows....must be BOSE"
Correct.
Car OEM's go with branded sound systems strictly due to the profit margins involved and the high number of people who will 'check off the options box' when ordering a car.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And just for the record, the Porsche headunits (i.e. the 'radio' in the dashboard) are all made by Becker, a division of Harmon Kardon).

Bose only makes the speakers and amplifier.

Note: The only current Bose headunit was the one designed for the new Ferrari.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And there's that ventilated front speaker on the windshield side of the upper dash /instrument cluster shade, right??
That speaker is for the 'simulated surround sound', a.k.a CenterPoint.

Since Bose is mostly about branding and getting value from that brand, they surely have that brand name prominently displayed in several places.
Yup.
How many people would possibly pay $500 for a clock radio (i.e. Bose Wave Radio)? Well over 100,000 every year. Go figure.

Then there's the sub-woofer on the drivers side foot area, right?
In the cabriolets......which is why there is actually 2 sets of front floor mats, Bose and non Bose....confuses the hell out of people as to why an audio option would have any effect on the floor mats.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The Targas also have the subwoofer in the passenger footwell like the cabs. I think it is because they didn't want the space behind the back seats used up due to the rear opening hatch.

I was told that Bose only makes the chip that is used for the surround sound feature of the "Bose" upgraded systems, and that they don't make the speakers or amp. They have mastered the art of leveraging their name and commanding huge premiums for less than stellar performance.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No, Bose designs and manufactures the MOST DSP amplifier....trust me.
There is no 'chip' inside, just a Motorola DSP that runs the EQ code/curves and audio features.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No, Bose designs and manufactures the MOST DSP amplifier....trust me.
There is no 'chip' inside, just a Motorola DSP that runs the EQ code/curves and audio features.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
That is not public information.
What does that mean?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

What does that mean?
Porsche does not release their infotainment development roadmap to dealers or customers.
It is generally distributed only within engineering and marketing....for obvious reasons.
There's a lot going on right now in this area.....very interesting soap opera.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure the relationship between Porsche and their audio supplier, currently Bose, is complex and predominantly financially based. I suspect Porsche pays very little for the Bose parts and makes a huge profit on the Bose "upgraded" stereo. In return, Bose gets marketing billboard space inside an expensive, enthusiast automobile. Bose also gets to claim that their products are used in the world's finest automobiles. Porsche makes a profit, Bose gets advertising.

I will be ordering a new 997 soon. I am inclined to keep my $1500 and enjoy not having to view Bose advertising in my new car. My concern is resale and the possibility of eliminating future buyers because the car is not equipped with the "upgraded stereo".
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by saltydawg
I am sure the relationship between Porsche and their audio supplier, currently Bose, is complex and predominantly financially based. I suspect Porsche pays very little for the Bose parts and makes a huge profit on the Bose "upgraded" stereo. In return, Bose gets marketing billboard space inside an expensive, enthusiast automobile. Bose also gets to claim that their products are used in the world's finest automobiles. Porsche makes a profit, Bose gets advertising.
Actually, no, that's not how the business works.
At GM for instance, (Bose) audio options were the 2nd highest gross margin item, next to powertrain upgrades.
The vehicle OEM makes about the same as Bose does, at least in terms of gross margin.
It's about money, it has little to nothing to do with advertising. There are exceptions, like in low volume/high dollar cars, like the Maybach.
It is about perceived brand recognition with the customer, not any one company.

People are funny. If given the choice between the 'base' audio option and the 'premium' option, it really doesn't matter who is the manufacturer behind the 'premium' option.,...they simply select the option. Porsche Marketing knows this. The customer doesn't have a choice anyways, since the car company (usually) selects a single OEM for premium systems and in larger portfolios (like Audi for instance) a different one for mid range systems and another for base systems.
Also, since it takes 3 years to develop and qualify an OEM (sound) option, the OEM generally doesn't change suppliers very often; and when they do, it is generally during major changes to the vehicle and/or the introduction of a new model/variant.

For the designers/developers of these systems, it can be fun......like calling your wife from Germany while driving to dinner in a Maybach.....before it was seen by the public........or getting a chance to see a new vehicle/model about 4--5 years prior to unveiling. Apart from that, at the end of the day, it's a job.

Or so I've heard.

Quick Reply: Bose Premium