Sponsored by:

Thought I'd change my front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Thought I'd change my front rotors

They looked pretty bad. (understatement!!!)
Cracks and grooves.....
I'm using Pagid RS19 pads which still have some meat left on the bone
Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Looked to be time Peter.

Bed the new rotors with the old pads.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

My question(s) is(are), will the Pagid pads just groove the new rotors?
After a short ride with maybe 10- 60mph stops.... not panic stops, the rotors are not looking quite right.
Do I just keep going or order new pads too??
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Looked to be time Peter.

Bed the new rotors with the old pads.
Yup, Saturday and Sunday sure did em in.....
what are your thoughts on my post above Chris?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the universal recommendation is to always use new pads with new rotors. I've never heard of anyone using old pads with new rotors.

The old pads have the wear pattern of the old, uneven rotors. And that unevenness is what you're seeing on your new rotors from your old pads, no doubt. With new pads you're guaranteed 100% flat surface to flat surface contact.

Your old pads will eventually wear to conform to your new rotors, as pads are softer than rotors. But I wouldn't track the car like that if you're expecting full brake power. If you're comfortable with the amount of braking power you currently have, so as to not compromise your safety, just wear the pads out and then get new ones once those have worn down.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCBen
I think the universal recommendation is to always use new pads with new rotors. I've never heard of anyone using old pads with new rotors.

The old pads have the wear pattern of the old, uneven rotors. And that unevenness is what you're seeing on your new rotors from your old pads, no doubt. With new pads you're guaranteed 100% flat surface to flat surface contact.

Your old pads will eventually wear to conform to your new rotors, as pads are softer than rotors. But I wouldn't track the car like that if you're expecting full brake power. If you're comfortable with the amount of braking power you currently have so as to not compromise your safety, just wear the pads out and then get new ones once those have worn down.
When tracking, it is best to use new pads with old rotors, or old pads and new rotors according to all the track junkies I have come across.

Ben, put a set of Pagid RS19s (yellows) on your car and the stopping power will throw you out of your seat if you are unbelted.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Yup, Saturday and Sunday sure did em in.....
what are your thoughts on my post above Chris?
I wouldn't worry about it. I put new rotors on in the spring and left the old pads until a few weeks ago. My old rotors were grooved.

If in doubt, call Jason.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always changed both rotors and pads along with a quick bleed of the system. No need to bed the old pads to new rotors. Pads are cheap, rotors and the time removing them are not.

I've done moderate pads with new rotors to get a good heat cycle on them and to start wearing the rotor face even so not to groove it, then switch to more agressive pads and follow with full heat cycles and check them right afterwards.

Since I now have PCCB's I do not need to worry abouth this now. But if I ever switch to steels, I'll be using the method listed above.

Pads cheap, rotors $$, do the math!

Deanski
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Deanski
I've always changed both rotors and pads along with a quick bleed of the system. No need to bed the old pads to new rotors. Pads are cheap, rotors and the time removing them are not.

I've done moderate pads with new rotors to get a good heat cycle on them and to start wearing the rotor face even so not to groove it, then switch to more agressive pads and follow with full heat cycles and check them right afterwards.

Since I now have PCCB's I do not need to worry abouth this now. But if I ever switch to steels, I'll be using the method listed above.

Pads cheap, rotors $$, do the math!

Deanski
Pagid RS19s are not exactly cheap. For a 997S they are worth as much as the rotors.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=OCBen;5810814]I think the universal recommendation is to always use new pads with new rotors. I've never heard of anyone using old pads with new rotors.

/[QUOTE]

NO NO NO. ALWAYS bed in new rotors with used pads. Always bed new pads with used rotors if at all possible. If you doubt this go check out the FAQs on the Stoptech website.

best,
Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
NO NO NO. ALWAYS bed in new rotors with used pads. Always bed new pads with used rotors if at all possible. If you doubt this go check out the FAQs on the Stoptech website.
Must be a track thing.

But for street cars and street use only, always use new pads with new rotors. As was mentioned, pads are cheap.

Also, for machinable rotors, it's best to turn them before using the new pads to ensure even wear of the pads and to eliminate any warpage that can lead to shimming of the wheels during brake application.

I just recently replaced my front pads for the first time and I didn't turn the rotors, as there hasn't been any vibration at all. But I'll probably turn them next time I replace the pads.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

What sort of miles have you logged on that front end? How many track days? They certainly looked overdue for replacement!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

best,
Thanks Bob!!
Any concern switching the used pads from rear of the rotor to the front and vise versa?
I did this also on each wheel......

Must be a track thing.

I just recently replaced my front pads for the first time and I didn't turn the rotors, as there hasn't been any vibration at all. But I'll probably turn them next time I replace the pads.
Yup, purely a track thing!!

Geez Ben, you actually have enough miles on that car to NEED to replace your front pads??

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What sort of miles have you logged on that front end? How many track days? They certainly looked overdue for replacement!
Maybe 12 track days using Pagid RS19 pads. The car has 34k km but I installed the pads at 25k km and the grooving and cracking started then.

Actually I've put maybe 7 track days on since noticing the cracking starting. Was VERY concerned at first but guys like Bob put my mind at ease. Only when the cracks got as long as you see here after 2 days of track time this past weekend, was it time to swap.... so they were due.... not overdue.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Pagid RS19s are not exactly cheap. For a 997S they are worth as much as the rotors.
Actually per side Pagid pads are ~$50.00 than OEM rotors......

Last edited by NVRANUF; 09-16-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Geez Ben, you actually have enough miles on that car to NEED to replace your front pads??
I was referring to my daily driver, the Mini Cooper. I changed the pads at 42k miles. My 911 won't be needing pads for a long, long time. Just barely turned 5k miles on the clock with it.

What's interesting about your photos, Peter, is that it clearly demonstrates that rotors during braking action are subjected to circumferential tensile stresses. The radial stress cracks at the holes clearly illustrate that.

I still can't see the value in using old pads on new rotors for tracking purposes, from a mechanical engineering perspective. It's like taking brand new cars off the assembly line and before you can run one on the track you need to pull it aside and take off the new pads and replace with old worn pads. Just doesn't make any sense to me. But oh well.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

I was referring to my daily driver, the Mini Cooper. I changed the pads at 42k miles. My 911 won't be needing pads for a long, long time. Just barely turned 5k miles on the clock with it.

What's interesting about your photos, Peter, is that it clearly demonstrates that rotors during braking action are subjected to circumferential tensile stresses. The radial stress cracks at the holes clearly illustrate that.

I still can't see the value in using old pads on new rotors for tracking purposes, from a mechanical engineering perspective. It's like taking brand new cars off the assembly line and before you can run one on the track you need to pull it aside and take off the new pads and replace with old worn pads. Just doesn't make any sense to me. But oh well.
Hey Ben! I figured, but had to ask.... your car will probably deteriorate from old age before any wear n tear sets in...

If experienced track guys like Bob R. say it's OK to use, then I'm good with it. Still probably half the pad material is left... and... your analogy is slightly askew...... my car isn't brand new, only the front rotors are...

Quick Reply: Thought I'd change my front rotors