Sponsored by:

Bose Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Porsche does not release their infotainment development roadmap to dealers or customers.
It is generally distributed only within engineering and marketing....for obvious reasons.
There's a lot going on right now in this area.....very interesting soap opera.
They might not publically release that information but let me say this.... don't be surprised if an important future product that is being released in the very near future does not have Bose as the "premium" stereo upgrade.

PS - because inquiring minds want to know... do you work for PCNA?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:53 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They might not publically release that information but let me say this.... don't be surprised if an important future product that is being released in the very near future does not have Bose as the "premium" stereo upgrade.
Trust me, I won't be surprised at all. For me, there are no surprises between now and 2012.

Never in a million years.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A bit OT, but here is the only Bose headunit, launched in the Ferrari 612 (and perhaps a coming Masserati model as well):

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...stem/index.jsp

Don't be surprised if this is never seen or heard from again.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I miss my Mark Levinson system I had in the Lexus SC430. That was a really great sounding system. Great highs, mids and lows.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The Levinson amplifier you refer to was a very nice bit of electrical engineering....very unlike anything from Bose, Becker, ASK, et. al.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice the "audiophile" snobs really hate Bose, but as an OEM for the 997, I'd take it hands down over the standard radio or any hacked-up aftermarket job. Anyway, you guys are comparing Levinson in a Lexus? Try driving your 997 with the radio off, its super noisy. I'm sure the Levinson wouldn't sound as nice in a 997 compared to your quiet Lexus.

Yes, the Bose isn't the end all be all but its not $5000 like the Bang Olufsen either.

Again, its pretty darn good for an OEM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, at one time, Bose had a requirement that they be in the top of the model line vehicles (i.e. Mercedes S class, Audi A/S8, etc) and then go down from there.

However, that is now no longer the case. They lost the S class business a few years back (3+) and as you mentioned Audi went with B&O for the 8.

Lots of reasons for this......
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
texas911
Race Car

B&O? And you guys are putting down Bose? Talk about overpriced equipment. I'm sure the motorized speaker is what makes the B&O system in the A8 sound so much better!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by texas911
I notice the "audiophile" snobs really hate Bose, but as an OEM for the 997, I'd take it hands down over the standard radio or any hacked-up aftermarket job. Anyway, you guys are comparing Levinson in a Lexus? Try driving your 997 with the radio off, its super noisy. I'm sure the Levinson wouldn't sound as nice in a 997 compared to your quiet Lexus.

Yes, the Bose isn't the end all be all but its not $5000 like the Bang Olufsen either.

Again, its pretty darn good for an OEM.
Well, I don't know. The Bose system in a 997 represents a very significant disconnect between sound quality and the price tag of the car AFAIC. Bose does have excellent brand recognition and makes really good sound in the 997 if you happen to like listening to your music through feather pillows.

I'll bet if you check the settings on the Bose lover's PCM's you'll find that the base is cranked and/or the treble is supressed and the fade is shifted heavily to the rear of the car. Likely, the "surround" feature is also engaged.

If you neutralize the settings and prefer to listen to clean music (as it "should be" to many) you will be quite disappointed.

Aw, Porsches aren't for music listening anyway. I just came back from a 2000 mile run - had the radio on all of about 30 minutes the whole trip.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by texas911
B&O? And you guys are putting down Bose? Talk about overpriced equipment. I'm sure the motorized speaker is what makes the B&O system in the A8 sound so much better!
Actually, yes, Audi was swayed by the motorized speakers, in addition to the sonic performance being very close between the supplied systems.

A perspective:
Every car company needs a differentiator. It's a marketing thing, not an engineering thing. If Audi's B&O system has motorized speakers and no one else does, it's a brand point. If the systems sounds 'good' compared to the base level system, it's all it needs to do.

It is a tremendous compromise between the audio companies and the car companies. How many speakers? What size speakers? How much sound pressure level? DSP features? There have been some very impressive concept cars built for OEM's, but in the end they simply "don't need them".
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Well, I don't know. The Bose system in a 997 represents a very significant disconnect between sound quality and the price tag of the car AFAIC. Bose does have excellent brand recognition and makes really good sound in the 997 if you happen to like listening to your music through feather pillows.

I'll bet if you check the settings on the Bose lover's PCM's you'll find that the base is cranked and/or the treble is supressed and the fade is shifted heavily to the rear of the car. Likely, the "surround" feature is also engaged.

If you neutralize the settings and prefer to listen to clean music (as it "should be" to many) you will be quite disappointed..
Yes.
What you are referring to is the 'Bose EQ' curve, which is the basis for all Bose audio products. Developed decades ago by Dr. Bose based on psychoacoustic studies. Cute way to make small speakers sound 'good'....yes, it's a subjective thing.
Also, Bose doesn't make subwoofers, merely 'bass transducers that really don't go much below 100Hz....the EQ makes up as much of the difference as it can.
FWIW, it has built a multi billion dollar private company with zero debt......gotta give credit where it's due.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes.

FWIW, it has built a multi billion dollar private company with zero debt......gotta give credit where it's due.
Hmmm, sounds familiar!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

That Lexus you refer to was a SC430 which is a hardtop convertible, which when the top is down, the sound from the ML was still superb from say my 997S coupe with Bose. Yes, the Bose is better than run of the mill standard stereo, but wish it was more like the ML system in clean sound.

In my 997S I have to bring the high-end up all the way, and leave the bass somewhat flat. Speakers seem to have little high-end clarity and seem as someone put it, listening through feather pillows.

But, for runs with the car, I listen to the flat six. With PSE, it sounds great! Only problem is I wish my K40 system was a bit louder when it goes off. The LED's are somewhat harder to see with the sport wheel. I may have them move up higher.

Funny thing is, I HAVE a Bose theater system in my home in one room (Lifestyle 48 IV) which I use the wireless adapers to run "Roomate" speakers in other rooms to listen to music or sat radio via Stilletto hooked into it. For the small room the system is in, it seems fine for your standard theater system.

Bose may not be the best thing for the 997, but it's sure better than a standard system in it.

Deanski
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Deanski
Bose may not be the best thing for the 997, but it's sure better than a standard system in it.
Deanski
Again, that's the whole idea. Anyone's 'premium' system is going to sound better than the base option.....that's how Marketing designs the option program for infotainment.

Bose is no longer the #1 rated option in OEM listening tests anymore BTW at the German car companies.

Quick Reply: Bose Premium