Sponsored by:

Windshield crack in my C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield crack in my C4S

Well, my C4S remained perfect for about 7 weeks. I got hit by a rock on the North Dallas Tollway a couple of days ago and initially thought nothing happened, as I couldn't see anything in the windshield. And, then, a crack opened and kept opening. It's on the left side, up towards the middle-top by the A pillar, runs into the black part on the side, and is almost as big as a dollar bill.

I had a windshield repair company fill in the crack, and it's solidly repaired but, unlike chips, which they can virtually make go away when they fill them, cracks are evidently another story. Some of it's not noticeable, some of it looks like a hairline crack, and some of it is a little more evident. I'd say it looks like a streak on the windshield from somebody not being careful with the squeegee when cleaning the window.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of windshield replacement, and I'm somewhat hesitant to do it, based on anecdotal evidence from people who've had it done and said their windshields never fit quite right, the car creaked and groaned more, etc. But I've got to think I wouldn't end up with those problems if the replacement is installed by a high-quality repair shop using an OEM windshield.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My preference would be OEM.

Best to let the car sit for a day and let the sealant they use set up.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done w/ OEM windshield and an experienced installer. Outside of some glue/sealer smell for a few days, virtually undetectible. Cost around $1100. to the ins co, (my portion $500,)

Not sure you can even get non OEM glass for these cars.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Hauser, I feel your pain.

I took a rock when the car was still quite new and the crack quickly spread about three inches to the windshield edge. Once it hits the edge, the windshield is shot, no one will attempt a resin fix.

I called the three closest Porsche dealers (I'm near DC) and they all recommended one guy who did their work. I called him and the job was done perfectly on my driveway while I watched. There is no fit issue, no leaks, no noise.

The installer is key here. Don't scrimp on this especially since you are likely only paying the deductible on your comp insurance. Only go with someone who does high end cars as recommended by a dealer.

I'd also suggest you live with the fix you just got for a few weeks. It is more noticeable to you right now because you're focused on it. Let the windshield get some more nicks, etc. and then if you want have it changed then.

Kevin
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
chuckla
Racer

Kevin-Who was the installer?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the only source for the windshield is OEM. At least for GT3 Porsche is the only source. I pretty much get a new one every year since tracking beats the crap out of them. Also, I have a $50 deductible with GEICO.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Dallas911
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't get it fixed until after the tollway idiots have completed the mess they created. I have two cars with cracked windshields from my short commute to downtown D. I have no idea why it talkes so long to convert a three lane each way highway into a three lane each way highway. Or why it was necessary in the first place. I really think the only reason the DART facists started the entire project was just to force us to use their crappy, limited bus/rail network.

F' em I take the side roads (Lemon.) At least I get to pass Park Place Porsche on the way.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Did this happen down by the Wycliffe exit?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

No, it happened north of Parker, so it was miles away from the construction zone.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Funny you mention Parker. I was headed West on Parker following a pick up. A bolt the size of King Kong fell off the back of the pick up and hit my front bumper, then flew up towards the windshield. Don't ask how, but the missile changed path and missed the windshield. I have a nice 2" gash on the bumper though. If it had been any other car I would have been able to free up my right hand and reach for my glove box for the Glock (to shoot the bolt in mid air of course). Can the roads in Dallas get any more worse? We probably have the worst roads in the country. No wonder all the women driving Porsches around here have a smile on their faces.

Back to your question regarding who to call. I would call Boardwalk. Those chaps have always been great to deal with. They might refer you out to a good glass man. Best of luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:23 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Well, sorry to hear no matter where it happened - that snafu at Wycliffe is beyond dangerous/frustrating (and to think the prices we're paying to use it)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 AM
ploo
Rennlist Member

May I ask whom you used to repair your windshield in Dallas? I picked up a rock myself on the highway Saturday afternoon and it created a crack radiating out...that has grown measurably in the last day, while all the shops have been closed. It's in the lower right side of the windshield, thankfully out of view, but I'm scared to say the crack is probably about 7-8 inches long now...and the other side reaches the window edge about 2-3 inches.

I live near Mockingbird/Tollway, if you know of anyone who is particularly close to this area. Thanks so much for your help, I start working at the hospital before normal business hours in the morning and get off at 430pm at the earlier and it's nearly impossible for me to sneak a phone call in between!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 AM
ploo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dallas911
I have no idea why it talkes so long to convert a three lane each way highway into a three lane each way highway. Or why it was necessary in the first place. I really think the only reason the DART facists started the entire project was just to force us to use their crappy, limited bus/rail network.

F' em I take the side roads (Lemon.) At least I get to pass Park Place Porsche on the way.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And have you ever tried to take Inwood over to 35, over by the hospital? It's been a complete mess for at least the last two years. I do drive by Park Place at least once a week...did you see when they had the black 356 about 4 months ago? She was a beauty....as were the GT3RS's and Carrera GT's that I've seen there in the last year

Do you mind telling me whom you use for windshield repair/replacement?

Thanks,
ploo
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Dallas911
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I spend too much time at Park Place and all of the other dealers in that area. Although my 2001 996 is beginning to look a little dated on their lot! I'm debating whether or not to buy a new 2009 or slightly used (and much less expensive) 2008 997. It's fun to shop.

I can't really help you with a recomendation for windshield repair. It was my wife's Audi S4 and our Ford Explorer with the windshield cracks. I had them both repaired by the dealers and they came out fine.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack in my C4S