Sponsored by:

Difficulty filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:28 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Since you're in California like me you're dealing with EVR (enhanced vapor recovery) nozzles. They look like this, there's a boot and a seal to capture vapors.

Usually this causes problems with the nozzle kicking off too soon. If it keeps overfilling you may have some other problem. Or it could've just been a problematic nozzle, won't know until you try again.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I've found that some pumps work and some cause issues, at the same gas station. I have the nozzle adapter and it didn't make any difference. I think that is because our gas pumps just have the metal nozzle that goes into the tank and doesn't have the full "hood" of sorts where the nozzle adapter may help to create space. Also when I have the issue, it immediately shuts off right when starting to fill even if I'm on 1/4 of a tank and have only filled .10 of a gallon.

At least for me, it seems to happen more at the couple of Shells around here. Other stations I haven't had an issue.
Ok I did some studying on EVR and gas bump mechanism. It looks like EVR causes unwanted negative pressure to stop the valve prematurely. Now it all makes sense.
In regards to last overfilling incident, it seems nearly impossible that it happened because of the car. The gas pump has its own mechanism to stop the filling once the nozzle tip dips into gas. The pump does not require anything from the car to stop the pumping other than the rising gas level. Any opposing thoughts?
Old 12-07-2022, 08:05 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 438 Posts

Since 2000, I have had pumps overflow on me 3 times. All were mobil stations. One was in an 85 Civic, another was in a 2012 Avant, and the most recent (pre-pandemic) was my 911. IDK what causes it to happen but in roughly 30 years of driving (since 1992), I have only had it happen 3 times and all after 2000. BTW, when the pump did overflow, that was the last straw for me before I got the adaptor.

As far as the adaptor thing, I used to have the pop off early problem 100% of the time pumping. I would pump, let it pop off, and then turn the nozzle upside-down to finish filling it. Now, with the adaptor, it works 90% of the time or more. When it doesn't work, I do what MrMoose said and reposition the adaptor, which does slide down a bit.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Since 2000, I have had pumps overflow on me 3 times. All were mobil stations. One was in an 85 Civic, another was in a 2012 Avant, and the most recent (pre-pandemic) was my 911. IDK what causes it to happen but in roughly 30 years of driving (since 1992), I have only had it happen 3 times and all after 2000. BTW, when the pump did overflow, that was the last straw for me before I got the adaptor.

As far as the adaptor thing, I used to have the pop off early problem 100% of the time pumping. I would pump, let it pop off, and then turn the nozzle upside-down to finish filling it. Now, with the adaptor, it works 90% of the time or more. When it doesn't work, I do what MrMoose said and reposition the adaptor, which does slide down a bit.
Thank you James. What does the adaptor have anything to do with overfilling though? Isn't it to stop quite the opposite (underfilling)? Or am I missing something?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Same here. I find it only happens on some pumps. Sometimes I move to another pump at the same station and it works without issue.
Exactly what I’ve been doing. Only issue is the strange looks you get when you move from one pump to another. Haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Carreralicious (12-07-2022), snuvet75 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 09:44 PM
2fast2nick
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts

Ahh mine was being a pain today.. I could only get it up to 3/4, then I gave up. I think some nozzles are just pickier than others
Old 12-07-2022, 10:33 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fast2nick
Ahh mine was being a pain today.. I could only get it up to 3/4, then I gave up. I think some nozzles are just pickier than others
Awwwe, hope ur 911 is not a daily as it will be a huge pain. Luckily mine is not..
Old 12-07-2022, 10:34 PM
2fast2nick
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Awwwe, hope ur 911 is not a daily as it will be a huge pain. Luckily mine is not..
it’s not, but it’s usually fine..

Quick Reply: Difficulty filling gas tank