Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

As the OP, I thought I'd provide an update. After reading some of the suggestions here, I tried one of them yesterday and it worked. With the nozzle in the "normal" position the pump kicked off at about 6.9 gallons. I then turned the nozzle 90 degrees clockwise and started pumping again. It kept filling uninterrupted for another 8 gallons (ie, full). Thanks for the suggestions. Problem seems to be solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeninBlaine:
Aaron12 (07-26-2021), Summerjack (11-25-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 01:42 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey fellas. I know this is an old post but since my issue is similar, so here it goes.
Mine is 2012 997 GTS. I have had OP's issue since 2y ago and it hasn't really bothered me as I don't drive it much. But about a year ago, I tried flipping the nozzle 180 degrees like the one above suggested and it was a horrible idea. It started overflowing and I didn;t have a good day.
Then overflowing happened again yesterday with normal nozzle position. The stopper just never tripped. It started spurting out fuel and made quite a scene.. And of course, I had to worry about the car stopping in the middle of the road as the tank was completely full. But it didn't thankfully. Of course it could've been due to the faulty nozzle but somehow I doubt it. The attendant did not have any similar episode on the gas pump.
Anyway, I really wonder what's going on in the tank.. Time for me to take it to a mechanic or dealership. Any insight?
Old 12-05-2022, 02:26 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Anything?
Old 12-05-2022, 07:25 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 438 Posts

our cars hate being fully full I have leaned...but it is also annoying to get a shut off at 3/4 tank.
I got this, and it solved the problem 95% of the time. Once a year or two, I will get a premature shut off but I have also learned to never overfill these cars because they'll run wonky.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X7NOZZLE.html

it is the adaptor around the filler.

Last edited by jamesinger; 12-06-2022 at 03:44 PM. Reason: *around
The following users liked this post:
snuvet75 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:44 PM
cchough
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This part solved the issue for me - got tired of rotating the pump this way and that to try to get a full tank. Best ROI on a "mod" for a 997!
snuvet75 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 02:21 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
our cars hate being fully full I have leaned...but it is also annoying to get a shut off at 3/4 tank.
I got this, and it solved the problem 95% of the time. Once a year or two, I will get a premature shut off but I have also learned to never overfill these cars because they'll run wonky.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X7NOZZLE.html

it is the adaptor around the filler.
Originally Posted by cchough
This part solved the issue for me - got tired of rotating the pump this way and that to try to get a full tank. Best ROI on a "mod" for a 997!
Thank you both. I placed the order now. But I don't know why it overfilled it the other day when I didn't do anything different...
Old 12-07-2022, 03:27 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Thank you both. I placed the order now. But I don't know why it overfilled it the other day when I didn't do anything different...
Bad pump, maybe? Or maybe you got some liquid in the vent line or something and it blocked flow? See what happens next time, if you still have trouble it could be an issue with the tank vent.

That Porsche adapter helps with California EVR gas nozzles, but unfortunately it's kind of crap. The plastic is so thin that – with any pressure on it – it slides down too far over the filler neck and doesn't do anything. But it can't really be thicker because it needs to work with the stock gas cap.

For my car I 3D printed a beefier one that works a lot better, but it only works because I've got an aftermarket metal gas cap (one of the ones Maxspeed used to sell, I think)

Old 12-07-2022, 04:30 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Bad pump, maybe? Or maybe you got some liquid in the vent line or something and it blocked flow? See what happens next time, if you still have trouble it could be an issue with the tank vent.

That Porsche adapter helps with California EVR gas nozzles, but unfortunately it's kind of crap. The plastic is so thin that – with any pressure on it – it slides down too far over the filler neck and doesn't do anything. But it can't really be thicker because it needs to work with the stock gas cap.

For my car I 3D printed a beefier one that works a lot better, but it only works because I've got an aftermarket metal gas cap (one of the ones Maxspeed used to sell, I think)

Oh wow. I do have the gas cap as well. Well I have already ordered it from Suncoast. I will try it first. Even b4 that, I will have to find out if it overflows again first lol. I haven't filled the tank since then as I don't drive it much. Nervous...
Old 12-07-2022, 04:41 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

If you're using an EVR nozzle you can also just hold the filler cover thingy on the nozzle back with your thumb. That accomplishes the same thing, but it gets tiresome.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:53 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

If you're using an EVR nozzle you can also just hold the filler cover thingy on the nozzle back with your thumb. That accomplishes the same thing, but it gets tiresome.
I wonder why jamessinger and ccough sited that it works very well while you and another fella didn't think so. Honestly, I am more concerned of overfilling next time than underfilling...
Old 12-07-2022, 05:00 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snuvet75
I wonder why jamessinger and ccough sited that it works very well while you and another fella didn't think so. Honestly, I am more concerned of overfilling next time than underfilling...
Mongo dunno. You see the photo of the red car above? The tabs on the adapter are supposed to stick up over the lip of the filler a bit. This creates vents under the "filler cover thingy" on the nozzle and prevents the EVR nozzle suction from kicking off the pump.

The adapter is pretty flimsy, though. So if it gets pressed down too much, it slides down the filler and doesn't work right. So it really should be more sturdy, but it's hard to do that and still have it work with the stock gas cap.

It might be possible to improve this using something like hot glue around the base of the adapter. That would keep the adapter from sliding down, but would not be permanent. But with my aftermarket gas cap I was able to 3D print a better solution.

(full disclosure: I did the printing, but my wife's the Mech E so she did the CAD work )

Last edited by MrMoose; 12-07-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:05 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Mongo dunno. You see the photo of the red car above? The tabs on the adapter are supposed to stick up over the lip of the filler a bit. This creates vents under the "filler cover thingy" on the nozzle and prevents the EVR nozzle suction from kicking off the pump.

The adapter is pretty flimsy, though. So if it gets pressed down too much, it slides down the filler and doesn't work right. So it really should be more sturdy, but it's hard to do that and still have it work with the stock gas cap.

It might be possible to improve this using something like hot glue around the base of the adapter. That would keep the adapter from sliding down, but would not be permanent. But with my aftermarket gas cap I was able to 3D print a better solution.

(full disclosure: I did the printing, but my wife's the Mech E so she did the CAD work )
I see. hard for me to comprehend the mechanics w/o seeing it. I;m not even familiar with the CA EV.. whatever bump thing. Well water under the bridge since it's been ordered. Even if it ends up not working, not gonna return 10 dollar product. Thank you very much for advices all of you and I hope I don't come back to your MrMoose asking for your 3D thingy lol
Old 12-07-2022, 05:23 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Since you're in California like me you're dealing with EVR (enhanced vapor recovery) nozzles. They look like this, there's a boot and a seal to capture vapors.

Usually this causes problems with the nozzle kicking off too soon. If it keeps overfilling you may have some other problem. Or it could've just been a problematic nozzle, won't know until you try again.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,090 Posts

I've found that some pumps work and some cause issues, at the same gas station. I have the nozzle adapter and it didn't make any difference. I think that is because our gas pumps just have the metal nozzle that goes into the tank and doesn't have the full "hood" of sorts where the nozzle adapter may help to create space. Also when I have the issue, it immediately shuts off right when starting to fill even if I'm on 1/4 of a tank and have only filled .10 of a gallon.

At least for me, it seems to happen more at the couple of Shells around here. Other stations I haven't had an issue.
Carreralicious (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 05:48 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 405 Posts

Same here. I find it only happens on some pumps. Sometimes I move to another pump at the same station and it works without issue.

Quick Reply: Difficulty filling gas tank