Sponsored by:

Cooling fan issues with 997 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan issues with 997 ???

Cooling fans on most of my other cars (including my 996) activate when they have been driven for a while and at a standstill.

But the cooling fan on my 08 997 (with only 500 miles) seems to be always on even after driving only about a mile or two.

Anyone experiencing this ?

Last edited by JJB236; 06-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I thought I heard it was tied into a certain ambient temperature. Dan or Coochas will know.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Wasn't there a recall for certain extended run issues with cooling fans?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Wasn't there a recall for certain extended run issues with cooling fans?
Really? Where can I find the info ?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I was at my dealer a few months back and I was told some cars were in for it, I can't remember years!
Could have been an individual problem?

Last edited by larrytrk; 06-18-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

My car is a 2006 C4S Cabriolet, and when I took it in for the 20K/2Year service, one of the things done was to reprogram the computer that controls the fan. I hadn't had any problems. I do know that both my 1991 928GT and the 2006 C4S fans will come on when the weather is hot (near 100 last week), and the car has been parked after a drive.

Jerry
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Are you referring to the engine compartment cooling fan on the compartment lid, or the ones up front to draw in air for those heat exchangers?

I'm not sure if the fans in the front are thermostatically controlled or not, or if the run all the time, but they never run after the engine is shut off.

If you are referring to the fan for the engine compartment lid, mine only comes on after I shut off the engine that is up to full engine temp, sucn as 225 oil temp. It then runs for 10-15 minutes to cool off the top of the engine I guess.

Maybe it runs now & then when the engine is running but I'm not aware of it.

If anyone here can explain the logic for the fans in the front I'd apprecaite learning about that. Are those housing the heat exchangers for engine coolant, and the condensors for the air conditioning freon?

Where are there coolers for the engine oil?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by THinthedesert
If anyone here can explain the logic for the fans in the front I'd apprecaite learning about that. Are those housing the heat exchangers for engine coolant, and the condensors for the air conditioning freon?
The heat exchangers for the engine coolant (radiators) and the AC condensers are up front. The purpose of the fan is to move air across the heat exchangers, usually in situations such as heavy traffic when not enough air is flowing across the heat exchangers because of slow or no movement of the car.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

There was a Workshop Campaign on the engine fan, but nothing on the front fans.

Deanski
Old 06-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The 997 engine features water cooling via two radiators located in the front of the vehicle. In front of them are the two for the a/c. If you have the Tiptronic or X51 package you have a third radiator at front, center. The two electric fans (front) are infinitely controllable, per the service manual. That is to say that there is a routine that they can program into the car to control when and if they kick on. I have heard mine running after I shut off my engine,--occasionally.

The oil cooling system is via a oil-water heat exchanger.

You might recall that the rear deck spoiler is usually controlled by the speed of the car. When you exceed 75 mph (actual,--not indicated) the spoiler will raise. It will also raise if the temperature in the engine compartment is elevated.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The 997 engine features water cooling via two radiators located in the front of the vehicle. In front of them are the two for the a/c. If you have the Tiptronic or X51 package you have a third radiator at front, center. The two electric fans (front) are infinitely controllable, per the service manual. That is to say that there is a routine that they can program into the car to control when and if they kick on. I have heard mine running after I shut off my engine,--occasionally.

The oil cooling system is via a oil-water heat exchanger.

You might recall that the rear deck spoiler is usually controlled by the speed of the car. When you exceed 75 mph (actual,--not indicated) the spoiler will raise. It will also raise if the temperature in the engine compartment is elevated.
Dan,

Thanks very much for the technical information. You are always very well educated on the subject and I apprecaite the way you share your knowledge.

So the oil is cooled by means of a liquid/liquid (oil/water) cooler located somewhere using coolant after it's been through the heat exchanger to cool it? Any idea where that oil cooler is located?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Cooling fans on most of my other cars (including my 996) activate when they have been driven for a while and at a standstill.

But the cooling fan on my 08 997 (with only 500 miles) seems to be always on even after driving only about a mile or two.

Anyone experiencing this ?
Mine came on today after I pulled in to the garage. I just popped the engine bay lid and it stopped almost immediately.

HTH
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It will also raise if the temperature in the engine compartment is elevated.
I don't think so, at least on my non-S. On the track in the middle of summer, in the desert, black car, oil temp needle way up, and the spoiler still goes up and down based on speed alone.

There is a fan in the rear that I've heard on hot days, and very rarely when the engine is off, that will turn off if you raise the lid as HTH said.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right..My 06 Cab with X51 just finished its 2 year service today.. There is a recall ("Workshop Camapign") that read as follows: "DEACTIVATING SPEED SETTING 1 OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BLOWER
CAUSE: PURGE FAN
A second recall may be only for X51. which invovled rerouting refrigerant pressure line, and coolant hose, and replacing if necessary.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:21 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't think so, at least on my non-S. On the track in the middle of summer, in the desert, black car, oil temp needle way up, and the spoiler still goes up and down based on speed alone.

There is a fan in the rear that I've heard on hot days, and very rarely when the engine is off, that will turn off if you raise the lid as HTH said.
Alan, I use HTH as short hand for hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan issues with 997 ???