Sponsored by:

OT: Commuter Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Commuter Car Advice

I've seen some discussion a while back, but with current gas prices and newer models out - I thought I'd post.

I'm looking for a commuter car to do 100mi./day N. Bay to S. Bay commute. All highway, 80+ mph to stop & go. Requirements:
  • $25K maximum
  • New or up to 3 years old
  • Quiet
  • Automatic
  • Comfortable
  • Holds value
  • >25 mpg - more the better

What I'm considering:
- Prius
- Civic Coupe (non S)
- Camry Hybrid
- Mini (non S)
- Mazda 3

Any experience or advice?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 AM
richc
Pro

I'd go with the Mini - I got a new one for my son who never bothered to get his license, so I've driven it quite a bit. Nice little car, handles good, gets great mileage and from what I've read they hold their value. Strange interior, when my wife and I went over to Portland to pick it up her first impresson on seeing the interior was "It looks like something a clown would drive."
I'd buy another one.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that many miles at those speeds, you want something with comfort and good directional stability. The Mini is not that car.

For just under $25K, a used current generation Lexus IS250 would deliver that kind of mileage, and would be reliable.

The Camry Hybrid would not be worth the hybrid premium over the 4 cylinder Camry. In fast highway cruising, you will not be in electric mode and you'll get similar mileage at 80 mph as you would in the base car.

The Altima 2.5S, all-new Chevy Malibu, VW Passat/Jetta and Mazda 6i are the most fun-to-drive family sedans, oddly enough the Altima may be the most economical of those, but the cheapness of the interior may be a let-down... hence a used IS250 is a good car to consider. Accord/Camry will get better mpg and have a great reliability reputation, but are more boring. Malibu would be a good choice next year when the base 4 cyl. car get the 6-spd automatic, right now it is saddled with a 4-speed that makes it a dog. The Ford Fusion is a Mazda 6 variant, a little larger ... you could get one of those for a song, used.

It is probably a very hot car now, but the 2009 VW Jetta Diesel sedan or wagon with an all-new turbo powertrain are an awesome choice that is probably in the price range. Low 40's highway mpg, efficient at high crusing speeds, mechanically interesting, diesels hold value very well at higher than usual mileages, and VW's have good highway and twisty-road driving traits. Even with diesel costing more, you will save money b/c this powertrain will deliver unbeatable mpg for your kind of driving, and you would be driving a sporty-ish sedan to boot.

For lots of highway driving I am partial to midsize or larger cars myself, but of the small cars, you cannot go wrong with the Civic or Mazda 3 which you mentioned. The new Corolla is boring but completely vice-free and the highest mileage of the bunch.

Get a good stereo system, you'll want it to keep you alert and entertained for the long drives.

My $.02 ... Safe travels whatever you wind up with.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I hate to admit it... for your requirements (100m/day, quiet, mpg, comfort, holds value, etc.) a Toyota Prius sounds like a nice choice.

I drove one for some days, and it was indeed very comfortable and very quiet. Its handling was surprisingly well, even when I drove it in some mountain roads. Even a basic Prius is quite loaded with features. And with the current oil price trend, the Prius should hold good resale value in the near future.

Hope it helps

With best regards,
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hybrid is the way to go. Mine is the DD and car for airports, Costco, etc. Stress free "beater" and the BMW & Porsche have all the fun. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you don't want to go hybrid, the Civic coupe is a good choice. Fun to drive, but still gets great mileage and Honda build quality/reliability...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just heard on the news a couple days ago that both the Prius and Civic hybrid have about 6 month waitlists in CA.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Smart for Two
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tone
I've seen some discussion a while back, but with current gas prices and newer models out - I thought I'd post.

I'm looking for a commuter car to do 100mi./day N. Bay to S. Bay commute. All highway, 80+ mph to stop & go. Requirements:
  • $25K maximum
  • New or up to 3 years old
  • Quiet
  • Automatic
  • Comfortable
  • Holds value
  • >25 mpg - more the better

What I'm considering:
- Prius
- Civic Coupe (non S)
- Camry Hybrid
- Mini (non S)
- Mazda 3

Any experience or advice?

Thanks
I second the base Mini.
  • One of the best cars at holding its value.
  • 36 mpg
If you get one, make sure you get the automatic. It has a taller overdrive and actually gets better gas mileage at speeds over 70 mph.

I got one for my 96 mile daily commute. It's now up here battling the elements.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=62
Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Prius would fit the bill IMHO. Nothing holds resale like them at the moment.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Honda Civic NEW. By far the best value. Price the 3 year old ones and you'll find that they are not much cheaper than new.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Mini's the most fun, Prius is the best choice for your needs (since I didn't see "fun" on your list of needs).
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Civic. Can't lose with a new Civic. As stated above, it depreciates exceptionally slowly. Best of all, it's a Honda.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I had both 2007 and 2008 Jettas as company cars for the last 6 months, and was very impressed. Great ride/handling compromise, quality look and European feel (even though I think they're made in Mexico) inside and out, nice and roomy for an average-sized person. The 2008 had noticably more power, but otherwise the same if you are considering used. The 2009 diesel would be my choice over any hybrid out there.

That said, I'm partial to the new Minis. Personally, I'd trade some ride quality for handling and buy a new MCS for under $25k.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Civic or a Fit the 2009 model is very nice. Fun to drive, very versatile and sips fuel.

Quick Reply: OT: Commuter Car Advice