997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Commuter Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 05:16 PM
Maxsar
Racer

I agree with the idea of the Lexus that is a couple years old. Either that or a similar car like a G35, an Acura TL. Let somebody else take the depreciation hit. Also, the kind of mileage you are talking about will destroy any resale you would get. Considering the amount of time you are going to be in the car get something with more creature comforts.
Old 06-11-2008 | 05:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Civic,--and don't bother with hybrids. By the time you amortize out the added expense of one you are ahead buying gasoline.
Old 06-11-2008 | 05:53 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

agreed with getting a used Lexus. With the road condition of 101, you should get a comfy car. I could never get comfortable in Honda seat.
Old 06-11-2008 | 06:38 PM
texas911
Race Car

I had a Prius, wish I kept it now, and it was a great car, amazing space inside and unbelievable gas mileage. My best was 55mpg, but that was playing the mpg game on the screen, typically I got 42-45 combined while driving the **** out of it. I got the Touring version and it was pretty fun around the corners. But alas, it just too slow so I got rid of it. You might not mind it though, I don't really have a "commute".
Old 06-11-2008 | 10:01 PM
Tone
Racer

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I think I'm going to test drive a new Civic, and Camry. Wife has a Prius which we like and may go that route....but one Prius in the family is enough of a statement :-)

Good suggestions on used Lexus and VW/Diesel options....I'll check that out as well.

I'm going to rule out the Mini. Hate to, but can't imagine it being that quite for a long highway commute where I'll be on the phone (hands free of course) most of the time. Also, fun factor not a requirement for the commuter car...I have that dept covered!

Safe travels all.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Tone, the lease ended on my '04 996 and I just switched jobs (long story) so I opted for a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L (leather) 4 cylinder 21/30 EPA mileage. I have had it for 8 days and it is nice. It was just under your $25K limit.

The front of the new Civics slopes so much that I could not see ANY of the front hood while sitting in the driver's seat. I am 6'3" tall so I sit high in the cabin. Still couldn't see the hood. Make sure you check that part out. Not a good design, IMO.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:47 PM
Tone
Racer

Good advice Tim,
I'll check out the new Accord. I love the new sheet metal on it....but it's a surprisingly big car.
Gas mileage lower than I'd like, but If I consider a Camry (nonhybrid) I would be foolish not to drive the Accord.

by the way; spectacular color selection on your car; I 2 do lapis/gray :-)
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:03 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Civic,--and don't bother with hybrids. By the time you amortize out the added expense of one you are ahead buying gasoline.
my porsche is my DD but i have a civic (sedan) to make kid pick-ups and go places that i would rather not go in the Porsche (long-term airport parking). I got a manual trans to keep things somewhat interesting. Not a bad car....
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:06 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

My kid's got a Mazda 3S with a 5MT and loves it. It really does drive nicely, gets reasonable mileage, and it'll get you out the door for a hell of a lot less than $25K. Drive one.
Old 06-12-2008 | 09:24 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

MINI !!!!!
Old 06-12-2008 | 09:26 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My kid's got a Mazda 3S with a 5MT and loves it. It really does drive nicely, gets reasonable mileage, and it'll get you out the door for a hell of a lot less than $25K. Drive one.
I agree, I had a Mazda 3 rental the other day and I was very, very impressed. Honda / Acura (integra) makes a good product as well.

But for fun and depreciation - Mini!
Old 06-12-2008 | 01:04 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

I would recommend the Fit. It has gotten rave reviews from all who have reviewed it. Great cargo capacity, mileage, storage capacity, etc. Also holds its value extremely well much like its civic sibling. Best of all is that a new one clocks in around $15 or $16k.
Old 06-12-2008 | 04:28 PM
vprgrn
Intermediate

The Mazda 3 and Mini are very fun cars to drive, but in being sportier than the rest of the cars mentioned, they are better suited to manual transmissions. If you're looking for a carefree, appliance-like experience with an automatic, you may be better off staying away from those 2 cars and looking at something along the lines of a Camry or Civic. Just my 2 cents!

Vprgrn
Old 06-13-2008 | 03:13 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
The front of the new Civics slopes so much that I could not see ANY of the front hood while sitting in the driver's seat. I am 6'3" tall so I sit high in the cabin. Still couldn't see the hood. Make sure you check that part out. Not a good design, IMO.
This shouldn't much of a problem as the civic's hood slopes fast because it's so short. If it were a long hood, it would be more of an issue.

I've had my 2007 civic hybrid for just over a year now. Love everything except the brakes. You get used to timing passes but when it comes to braking fast, I've come close to rear ending people. The hybrid's only come with drum brakes in the rear which may be a factor. I still actually enjoy driving it even after being in my cayman.

In mostly city and hilly highway driving I get 29mi/gal (vs. 16mi/gal in my cayman). The common argument has beem that the hybrid premium isn't worth it. Gas prices have gone way up in the past year with $5/gal on the way. I drive about 900mi/mo. Say I got 30mi/gal at $3/gal last year, that's $90/mo for gas. Say I have a 25mi/gal car at $5/gal, that's $180/mo. When I was comparing lease costs, the hybrid added about $100/mo. If you have a flatter highway commute the hybrid may payoff better these days. I also liked the fit but was concerned about the lack of crumple zone with my kids in the back. I'd pass on the civic coupe as it's too boy racer.

One more thing. As this is a porsche forum and I assume image is somewhat important, the hybrid give more of an image that you are willing to pay a premium to save the world where as a standard civic is a very good economy car. But you could always just get a bumper car that says 'my other car is a porsche' : )
Old 06-13-2008 | 01:31 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

The Mini is a very fun car but IMO a base model in automatic would make a lousy commuter car. The ride is nowhere near as comfy as a Civic or Prius and the base model auto is barely adequate for merging in CA traffic.

I think a 4 cylinder Camry or Accord or a Civic or Corolla (for less frills and less $) are excellent choices. They will run forever, not be expensive to own and get good mileage.

Quick Reply: OT: Commuter Car Advice