Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
eqs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?

For me, it was because I lost my joy for driving just for the fun of it. I've had fun cars before, but nothing that puts a smile on my face like top down, pressing the smile meter around a big sweeper and drifting ...... just a little bit. Oh ...... and also tripping the rev limiter too

What about you guys. Why did you buy?

Cheers
Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was that little guy in the Porsche ad.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eqs
For me, it was because I lost my joy for driving just for the fun of it. I've had fun cars before, but nothing that puts a smile on my face like top down, pressing the smile meter around a big sweeper and drifting ...... just a little bit. Oh ...... and also tripping the rev limiter too
What about you guys. Why did you buy?
Cheers
I'm an SCCA racecar driver and a regular Instructor at Summit Point. I've driven lots of high performance cars. The last one I owned was a 2004 M3.
Last year a fellow Instructor tossed me the keys to his 2004 GT3 and I knew I had to have a Porsche. I took delivery of my C2S in Feb., and it's already been to the track 3 times.
Mr. B
Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eqs
I've had fun cars before, but nothing that puts a smile on my face like top down, pressing the smile meter around a big sweeper and drifting ...... just a little bit.
Exactly. I'll miss the "top down" part, having just sold my cab, but will open the top and windows of my Targa to get a little wind in my hair and to hear that exhaust.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/230560-poll-why-did-you-buy-order-a-997-a.html
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a porsche....'nuff said Seriously, like every young kid, I ogled these cars forever once you drive one, ur hooked
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was a kid, I couldn't care less about cars or different marques. I couldn't tell a Fiero from a Ferrari. And that was just fine. Though when I got to be a teenager I learned what a "Lamborghini Countach" was from the bedroom posters belonging to all my friends.

Then when I started college my Dad bought a '74 911. He let me drive it- a lot. We drove from DC down to Florida to go scuba diving. On my own I drove it up to Vermont several times to visit relatives in the Summer. Yes- he was a very nice Dad.

What I got to really like from that car was simply how it responded to what you told it to do. Accelerate? no problem. Brake? Done! Change lanes? Your wish is my command. It wasn't like driving a car so much as guiding a cybernetic machine that responded to you and (yes) gave you good seat-of-the-pants feedback (unlike spongy bouncy domestic cars). Perhaps it was even a level of automotive Zen.

Fast forward a bit- I just wanted to feel that type of freedom again. I also wanted a neat visual experience as I drive through the mountains- hence the Targa. My profession is that of inventor/entrepreneur/mad scientist, and experiences like this actually help me- I get inspiration for inventions by walking through the park, going for a drive, etc., and not by sitting at my desk.

(I think claiming such recreational drives as a business expense would be a stretch with the IRS. Too bad.)

Eventually I decided to get it "now" because, well, tomorrow is not guaranteed. The passing of my father and several other close family members within a short period of time (earlier this decade) reminded me that I wasn't going to be immortal forever. With my loving wife's consent, I decided that rather than be 100% fiscally responsible, a little bit of irresponsibility was a good thing.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Back seats and $

It was between 997, nsx and GTR, A combo of the the ability to carry my wife and small child (over the nsx) and the cost savings over the GTR sent me in the direction of the 997, (GTR was 73+10K over invoice, I bought used 997 for 50K ish).... these were my final deciding factors ...... after I narrowed my search down to these three cars...
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
richc
Pro

I bought out of habit, but it's a good habit. I've owned and driven once since I got my first one in 1968. I bought used ones up until the '95 993, since then they've all been new. Every one I bought I was sure would be the last, but these cars continue to get better every year.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Because of that classic, timeless, silhouette, it's history of racing performance and the unmatched driving feel of a Porsche. To me it is the quintessential sports car, a true icon. I've wanted one since 1973 when I first laid eyes on a white 911S negotiating a corner at speed. I was waiting to be picked up from my after school job and have never forgotten that moment. What a car!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 993 was the one that hooked me. Wanted one so bad, I used to go to the Porsche dealer in San Antonio every weekend. Wasn't buying, just wanted to be around them. (I'm sure they loved that )

One day I was there and someone tossed Sean Elliot of the Spurs, the keys to a new 993. I looked at him and asked him if he minded me going along. He said sure, hop in. He then proceed to rip through a residential area at 60+ mph. I didn't think that was too cool, but at least I got a ride.

Just so happens that by the time I could afford one, the 997 was the latest iteration. The 993 still turns my head though.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Moderato
Racer

I don't have one yet but I'm waiting for the 09's before I do anything. I've never owned a rear engined car before and for me that is the motivating factor, plus the mystique and everything else.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fatal attraction began at the early age of 13. So my dreams of ownership happened with the 964, 993, and now the 997. The latest 911 is my sixth Porsche and counting, so after 32 years the passion is still with me.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the commercial says "Porsche there is no subsiitute".
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

My first word at age 3 was "car." I recall seeing the Porsche 911 when it first came out in Germany. I was fortunate to be living in Wiesbaden at the time. It was nice, but didn't think much of it. One day a friend parked his new Porsche in my driveway and I thought, what an incredible car! The following year I bought it from him, used. From then I have essentially had one. That year? 1974. It's all about handling.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?