Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I remember my first experience with a Porsche. It was a white/black 911 ('71 IIRC) that was owned by a girlfriend of my aunt. They took me out for a ride on the backroads (in rural kansas) during a snowstorm. I was standing on the middle hump just right behind the front seats (of course no seatbelts), and my aunt's friend would slide the rear end around the corners, which would cause me (I was 4 at the time) to laugh hsyterically. Apparently I kept goading her on to more lurid powerslides, until we went off into a deep country ditch and got stuck. I hit my head on the roof, and we got stuck there for about 4 or 5 hours until a farmer with a tractor found us and pulled us out of the ditch. I thought the whole thing was a blast, and couldn't understand why my aunt was so upset and afraid to see my mom. I wanted a 911 from that moment on.

Fast forward many years. I was looking for a 993 for use as a daily driver. I had a dealer force me to drive a Boxster S. Although the 993 was the quintassential Porsche from an appearance standpoint, I was buying a car to drive, not to look at, and, well, the Boxster S was a faster and better car. So I bought one. Started using it to track at DEs and AXs.

Then my wife found out she was pregnant with twins and said "the Porsche must go." I resisted since we had another car (an X5, but we were getting a minivan). she rightly pointed out that if I was at home alone with the twins, I would not be able to take them to the hospital. So I sold the Boxster S and bought an '02 Targa. I brought it home with two baby seats in the back. My wife was pissed when she saw it, but then started laughing when she saw the seats. We affectionately referred to that car as the "family car."

I tracked the '02 911 and became addicted, so I bought a Porsche race car, and started racing wheel-to-wheel. That is my true passion for Porsche.

Then my club coupe came available, so I bought it and sold the Targa. I also sold my race cars, but am counting the minutes until I can get another race car.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?