Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was Patches ever a red-head? I wasn't sure whether Patches was naturally that way or if some of the color needed to be retouched.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Was Patches ever a red-head? I wasn't sure whether Patches was naturally that way or if some of the color needed to be retouched.

Are you really asking whether the curtains match the carpet?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Very Dare You!

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Are you really asking whether the curtains match the carpet?
To misquote from a great comedienne. the thought had never crossed my mind
Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
PDK will replace the Tiptronik. As a double clutch you will lose no time in your shifts. It will revolutionize driving.
Seems like you are quite prescient.
We were at dealer yesterday finalizing choices for 09 car.
there was no mention of Tiptronic on the preliminary order form we saw.

good news = PDK will probably not be as pricey as i feared since it may be the only non-manual choice.

cheers

Craig
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have sworn I would never consider any type of autotrans in a Porsche...however I recently got an 08 Lexus ISF with the 8 speed s/w paddles. Supposedly it shifts quicker than the Ferrari 430 F1. The transmission is amazzing. No way anyone could go through the gears that quick and flawleesly time and time again with a manual.. And with the blip on the downshift it is actually engaging and fun to drive.. I seriously will test drive a PDK before I order my next PCar.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Go ahead Porsche, keep the rocker switches on the front face of the wheel -- let the aftermarket develop a product, retrofit if you will.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
I would have sworn I would never consider any type of autotrans in a Porsche...however I recently got an 08 Lexus ISF with the 8 speed s/w paddles. Supposedly it shifts quicker than the Ferrari 430 F1. The transmission is amazzing. No way anyone could go through the gears that quick and flawleesly time and time again with a manual.. And with the blip on the downshift it is actually engaging and fun to drive.. I seriously will test drive a PDK before I order my next PCar.
What are your overall driving impressions of the IS-F, especially compared to the 911?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is any comparison (and I believe there will be) driving impressions with my Audi with DSG are superb; (0-60 is marginally quicker than the manual box for the same car) - it feels nothing like old style auto boxes; It's been superb over the 2 years I've owned it, never a problem - IMO driving wise, it's superb - still very involving (like a manual) when using paddles but with a less tired left leg! I'd definitely consider PDK.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
What are your overall driving impressions of the IS-F, especially compared to the 911?
Well, the 997S w/X51 is in a class by itself. The handling of the car is true Porsche. The car however can use extra power, and when I tested an early 07 TT I knew I would eventually have to step up. There is no substitute for torque. And when torque is combined with handling, then one has a truly great automobile. That was the flaw of the muscle car era I grew up with.
The ISF is very very very quick. It would never outhandle a Porsche, but it is truly a great bang for your buck. and the paddles shift the car lightning fast, not to mention the advertised sound of the dual intakes is unmatced.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

According to a recent posting in Automotor und Bild, the PDK will be the ONLY transmission offered!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

No the 6 speed manual and PDK are offered. No more Tiptronic. The PDK was reported to be .2-.4 seconds faster than the 6 speed manual depending on which sport package you get. Also you get better fuel mileage with PDK as reported.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Arrrrgh, I can't believe they really put the rockers on the front of the wheel. What a shame. Oh well, no 09 for me.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

mdrums - thanks. I went to the Porsche web site and both manual and PDK are available. Wonder for how long ...I suspect PDK will become the only tranny before long.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Originally Posted by cgfen
Seems like you are quite prescient.
We were at dealer yesterday finalizing choices for 09 car.
there was no mention of Tiptronic on the preliminary order form we saw.

good news = PDK will probably not be as pricey as i feared since it may be the only non-manual choice.

cheers

Craig
Based on the price increase for Great Britain (377.00 GBP) we can expect roughly a $742.00 increase over the tip I am guessing.

After watching the PDK + Sport Chrono launch video it pretty much put the idea of getting a manual out of my mind sadly. Time to fork over the cash.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a pic out there showing the front mounted rocker switches?

I assume you use your thumbs to activate in that location. Are they on the 'hub' of the wheel or are they located on the struts between the hub and the wheel?

cgfen - beautiful cat!!

Edit - nevermind just found the pic on the other thread

Quick Reply: PDK