Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Porsche does tip for the PDK this will be one of the biggest mistakes they will have made in a long time. Paddles are the only way to go if one is in to PDK. Another issue with PDK is added weight. I believe Rohrl said that it adds an additional 40kg. That is pretty significant.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

it's been nearly 3 weeks since my last bump,
so back to the top please.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

We know all we can know right now until the dealer meeting in Spain next month.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
The only similar tranny I drove was an F1 F430 last spring. I had a '99 C2 Cab tip, now an '04 C4S Cab stick, and won't go back to tip, ever, unless physical limitations mandate.

That said, the F1 was the most unbelievable experience, nothing like I expected. When you 'paddle' shift the F-car, you know there is something going on - not like the slushbox tip Porsche has - and you feel it. But the top down, Ferrari grin, and growl, certainly influenced my experience. I drove the F1 then two days later the 6sp F430 spider too. As much as the F1 was a fun and engaging experience, I still preferred to row the gears on the 6speed. And I still do on my Porsche.

I know, it does not answer the q, but the memory of driving the 430's was quite fun.
I agree 100%. The Ferrari F1 is great, but I hated Audi DSG and BMW SMG. If I was buying another p-car I would stick with the 6spd.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
it's been nearly 3 weeks since my last bump,
so back to the top please.
Sweet cat. Meow.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

I hate those stupid little thumb-pad thingys on the tip. Just a horrible, horrible design. I find it hard to imagine that they would introduce the PDK with that kind of setup instead of with paddles. IF they do, that is just disgraceful. I just find it hard to believe.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New PDK control design courtesy of RIM

Originally Posted by Dirty Evo
I hate those stupid little thumb-pad thingys on the tip. Just a horrible, horrible design. I find it hard to imagine that they would introduce the PDK with that kind of setup instead of with paddles. IF they do, that is just disgraceful. I just find it hard to believe.
RIM the Canadian company that pioneered the Blackberry were brought in by Porsche to design the controls of the new PDK gearbox. This is actually smart thinking on the part of Porsche as most owners are probably heavy users of Blackberries.

The shift controls are very precise and require thumb nail use only to shift on 50 milli-seconds from one gear to the next. So if you can Blackberry type proficiently you will be a quick PDK shifter.

And this is no BS. My dealer told me it was absolutely true ;-)
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Le Chef
RIM the Canadian company that pioneered the Blackberry were brought in by Porsche to design the controls of the new PDK gearbox. This is actually smart thinking on the part of Porsche as most owners are probably heavy users of Blackberries.

The shift controls are very precise and require thumb nail use only to shift on 50 milli-seconds from one gear to the next. So if you can Blackberry type proficiently you will be a quick PDK shifter.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Funny man you are.......
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Le Chef

Damn. I'd gotten my hopes up, thinking they'd give us a little thumbwheel the size of a shirt button to shift with. Anyway, can you just put in the number of the gear you want ("1") or do you have to type the word ("one")?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Blackberry....I hope NOT...I hope Porsche uses their racing technology and gives us paddles like on the LMP2 Spyder!

If they do little buttons I am done being a Porsche guy and when my 2007 Tiptronic 997S is ready to go in a year or so I will be forced to move to another brand.

The drink your morning coffe, type on your blackberry, full coco leather, wood trim every where, button all over the steering wheel to control everything in the car because they are too laxy to reach for the volume ****, complaining about the stiff ride Porsche buyer can have it....see ya!

PORSCHE...are you all reading and listening....keep these cars as a real sports car! Don't soften them up PLEASE!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

I am getty pretty proficient using my roller ball instead of a mouse on my computer, so I was thinking maybe they could somehow incorporate the rollerball into the the new PDK... that would be fantastic.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Evo, maybe you could steer the car with the roller ball?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Sweet cat. Meow.
this will make my wife very happy,(even if it is sarcasm ...............), since she commandered my avatar and replaced it with Patches.

cheers

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 05-20-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expect by the time it hits the GT3s they will have it sorted out. I might think about it then which should be 10 or 11. It will be tough: extra weight and the potential for costly failures with track use.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by cgfen
this will make my wife very happy,(even if it is sarcasm ...............), since she commandered my avatar and replaced it with Patches.

cheers

Craig
All kidding aside, cat's rock. Patches is a good lookin *****.......cat.... lol

Quick Reply: PDK