Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts
Default PDK

anybody have the opportunity to drive a PDK equipped car that wants to share their impressions?

we are hoping to order an 09 997, (dumbo ears and all ), and have pretty much everything chosen but tranny.
This will be my wife's DD, she chooses not drive manual tranny cars.
That leaves Tip, or now the new PDK.
I am a bit underwhelmed with the Tip in her Cayman S, she is fine with it other than wishing for a 6th gear for fwy cruise.

This past weekend we drove an Aston Vantage to see what their version of an Auto manual was like, neither of us like it for in town noodling.

We also spent some time in an Audi DSG and we were both favorably impressed, pretty much transparent for in-town noodling, 6 speeds, and full manual mode.

what's not to like?
that's the 1st 64K question.

2nd 64K question = is it safe to "assume" that PDK will have similar function / driveability to VAG DSG?

cheers

Craig
Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

From my understanding is it will be more like the Audi DSG.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

The only similar tranny I drove was an F1 F430 last spring. I had a '99 C2 Cab tip, now an '04 C4S Cab stick, and won't go back to tip, ever, unless physical limitations mandate.

That said, the F1 was the most unbelievable experience, nothing like I expected. When you 'paddle' shift the F-car, you know there is something going on - not like the slushbox tip Porsche has - and you feel it. But the top down, Ferrari grin, and growl, certainly influenced my experience. I drove the F1 then two days later the 6sp F430 spider too. As much as the F1 was a fun and engaging experience, I still preferred to row the gears on the 6speed. And I still do on my Porsche.

I know, it does not answer the q, but the memory of driving the 430's was quite fun.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the F1 and chose a manual. Minority I know.

There are two considerations that only you can answer:

What is your preference (for me stick)?

Do you want to be an early adopter?

You could push your car out a few months and get some live data.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

PDK will replace the Tiptronik. As a double clutch you will lose no time in your shifts. It will revolutionize driving.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I agree. I read so many posts about how paddles are for canoes etc. If you haven't driven and F1 Ferrari than you can't possible imagine what you are missing. In short years this will be the trend (I'm no futurist) but a well executed PDK is going to be a blast. I can't wait.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have tracked the Ferrari with F1 and it is over rated (imo), it is certainly easy and can make you feel more accomplished that you are. The challenges and rewards of manually rev matching have their own rewards.

If you can heel and toe, and are not an F1 calibre racer, you might miss more than you can possibly imagine with the PDK/F1.

If you are super fast, lazy or uncoordinated, well it might just be the ticket.

It will take more than a 10 minute test drive to switch me. I look forward to trying it but no way would I buy it sight unseen.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It will revolutionize driving.

i agree
i'm just not sure when the technology will be mature enough to begin the revolution.
2009 MY, or later?????????????

be safe

craig
Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default PDK may not revolutionize driving. There is some talk PDK...

Originally Posted by Edgy01
PDK will replace the Tiptronik. As a double clutch you will lose no time in your shifts. It will revolutionize driving.
is going to be still born, or have a very short life.

Word is the old slush box will receive a new lease on life with the addition of more speeds and much more efficient fluid coupling that will lock up sooner and thus transmit power more efficiently.

With the additional gear speeds the fluid coupling can be made more efficient, lock up earlier because it is no longer needed to span the 'gaps' between the gears in earlier 3/4/even 5 speed automatic transmission designs.

As much as I was looking forward to PDK I think I'll give it a miss should the opportunity present itself to even own a car so equipped.

I for one do not want to be an early adapter and there are some aspects of the transmission I do not like. Clutch wear is supposed to be high -- this appers to be true with all F1-style and PDG style automatic transmissions -- and the tranny can require more frequent fluid changes.

More frequent fluid changes is not necessarily a negative as I believe in more frequent fluid changes but I am a little leery of say believing 40,000 mile fluid changes are sufficient. I would think more frequent fluid changes better and more conserative at least until there were sufficient number of car so equipped to know just how reliable these transmissions are over a large population of vehicles with a wide variety of drivers.

In the meantime, I would not look forward to having to go to say 30,000 or even 20,000 mile fluid changes. Given I drive maybe 20,000 miles or more in a year, that would mean annual transmission fluid changes along with oil/filter changes every 5000 miles. Car would be in for fluid changes all the time...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
is going to be still born, or have a very short life.
Strong opinion. There is no question that wear is higher and will be until the technology approves. It is my understanding that the 2nd generation corvette paddle tranny wears 30% better and shifts even faster than the 06MY. I think we will see rapid improvements.

However, to think that a 20k mile service is unreasonable shows just how far we have come in the past few years. My Ferrari needs an engine out service every 15k miles and they don't have problems selling them.

Either way, I think that may of us who are enthusiast, but not professional drivers look forward to the technological advancement.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My opinions are based on driving and riding in my wife's Audi A3 S-Line with DSG:

Auto mode:
No difference than an auto trans with torque converter. Shifts smoothly, no muss, no fuss. Only noticeable difference is backing into our driveway (inclined) where you can feel the clutch engaging and jerking slightly.
Sport Mode
Holds gears longer, shifts more quickly but you can still leave both hands on the wheel
Paddle Shift Mode
Very neat, shifts are fast and blipping gas on downshifts matches revs perfectly...a lot of fun

My wife has yet to use any mode other than the auto mode. Car has approx 12 k miles of mostly city driving and has been completely reliable. As this transmission type has been in service in Audi cars for some time, my suspicion is that Porsche engineers have had an opportunity to study reliability/warranty repair issues thoroughly given their corporate connection.

If your wife's preference is an auto trans, I recommend DSG/PDK highly.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

We can make a lot of assumptions now, but only time will tell. I love the 6spd but am open to looking at PDK. My only hesitation is that this will allow my wife to drive my car
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

The only reason I'd ever have any type of auto tranny in a 911 would be if Porsche stopped making it with a manual tranny. I'd love to have the PDK/DSG in all the other cars I own, though.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
anybody have the opportunity to drive a PDK equipped car that wants to share their impressions?

<snip>
bump

Quick Reply: PDK