Sponsored by:

Bose sound system pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
jackball
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose sound system pretty good

I have read some posts that somewhat knock the upgraded Bose sound system in the 997. I have an 06 C2S, and have always thought the Bose system sound was pretty good, better than any stock car system I have ever had. Yesterday I was riding to lunch with a friend in his Lexus LS 430. I heard a song on his SAT radio that I listen to from CD in my car, and the sound was pretty weak compared to that in my 997. I don't know how the 997 non-Bose system sounds, but I would definitely recommend the Bose system for those trying to decide whether or not to choose that option.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

I have the Bose system also - no complaints. The best factory system I have heard, bar none, is the optional Infinity system (w/sub-woofer) on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I think that the "Freedom top" helps the acoustics.

Maybe Porsche should offer a fiberglass-lined headliner in addition to the leather alternative.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
evmohn
AutoX

I agree that the BOSE is a Good system -- but not Great. I was initially pretty unhappy with the sound until, while messing around with the settings, I unchecked the "Surround Sound" option. With it checked it is far too bass-y, almost muffled, sounding for my taste. With it unchecked the sound seems a bit more realistic. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but the BOSE system is still a bit less clear than I enjoy -- I just don't feel like the "presence" is there. Fortunately the sound of the engine still rates a 10!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm...I find the sound weak and thin.. for me (IN MY OPINION) typical BOSE ..I have been in other 70K + cars in the past little while.. and found the sound more involved..last was the BMW M5..
I actually also have a Dodge with a full thrown MyGiG system.. umm.. I think I even enjoy that a tad more..

And yes.. I have PSC and it is music to my ears.. but ya still need a bit of U2 to Chopin thrown in there once in a while..
Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default agreed

I have the same jeep jk and same infinity system and agree thats the best factory system IMO better then the Bose in my 997,... although the bose in the 997 is quite good...

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
I have the Bose system also - no complaints. The best factory system I have heard, bar none, is the optional Infinity system (w/sub-woofer) on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I think that the "Freedom top" helps the acoustics.

Maybe Porsche should offer a fiberglass-lined headliner in addition to the leather alternative.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 PM
greenie
Advanced

This is an interesting topic, to me anyway. Over on the Corvette forum, we have been spending years debating the BOSE system. It really depends on three things IMHO: the head unit, the speakers AND the car it lives in. BOSE has done an absolutely horrible job with the C6. Some guys dont really car and put up with whatever they have. Anyone who is an audiophile hates it. Ive heard the BOSE unit in the 997 and it really is quite good. Its enough to chase me out of the C6 into a 997!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Bose in the 997 is fine, but the HK Logic 7 system in my BMW is significantly better.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many OEM Bose systems are over-rated, IMO, like the Bose in my old NSX. What a crap system that was.

But the one in the 997 isn't bad. To be frank, it's nowhere near as good as the Mark Levinson system in several new Lexus products but.. it's still pretty good.

And since I plan on listening to that beautiful flat 6 most of the time anyway... I can live with good
Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado

My other ride...w/ freedom top

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I find it hard to listen to the Bose above 70, or while driving through the neighbourhood with the windows down.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 AM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bose system is excellent when you compare it to the base non-Bose system in the 997. It's only fair when you consider other systems in luxury cars. The Best system in the 997 is to turn the stereo off and listen to the PSE.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:14 AM
westlaker
Instructor

I've had many factory and custom systems over the years including the Corvette Bose system and the 997 Bose option is the best I've ever heard bar none. They really did the design right.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

The old wives tale is that Bose did market research and discovered that most customers audition speakers for 5-10 minutes. So they designed speakers that sound great for short listening periods - i.e. disproportionate high end. Listening for long periods would lead to listener fatigue. Since most cars soak up treble for many reasons, this might not apply to their car stereo. Then again, you can always adjust the equalizer to reduce that bias if you feel it exists.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Ricardo Canada
AutoX

I have had my 2007 Carrera S for about two weeks now and the only part of the car that hasn't amazed me is the Bose stereo. It's okay at best. My previous vehicle (a BMW e46 coupe) had a Harmon Kardon system that was sonically far superior to the Bose.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

IMO, the low end is fair, the mids are harsh, and the high end is acceptable. Since I usually have the top down and the sport exhaust on, I don't think I would get much more use out of a better system. For the times I want to hear something loud though, it would be nice to have a system that doesn't have such a piercing midrange.

Quick Reply: Bose sound system pretty good