Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Sport Seats - Any Wear Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adaptive Sport Seats - Any Wear Issues?

Now, don't jump on me for simply asking.

But, as I slide down this slippery slope called ordering, I'm -->| |<---- this close to adding the adaptive sport seats to my C4S. So, as any good Rennlister does, I searched the archives.

As such, I noticed that well over half the owners of A.S.S. liked them. However, a fair number of people were reporting wear problems from the seat belt chaffing the leather and the side bolsters showing wear. I'm used to checking the side bolsters for wear in 10 year old 993s, but I'm surprised about these reports on such new cars.

So, anyone experiencing such problems (or any for that matter) with the A.S.S.?

Anyone have pictures of their adaptive seats? Any pictures with you sitting in it with seatbelt on (I want to see where the belt lands on the shoulder flares).

(BTW, there are no 991s in inventory nearby showing A.S.S. (that acronym makes me laugh ))
Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more wear than other seats in my opinion. Threat with som nice leather condtioner once in a while and they will be great. Get the sportseats, you wil regret not when trying one later.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Sport Adaptive Seats in my 07 997S, so far 6K miles on the car and no major wear issues. Just like any other Porsche seats, the side bolsters have a few micro-wrinkles almost as soon as the first few hundred miles on the car.

I have been driving P-cars for over twenty some years, and their side bolsters are always subject to easy wearing. I have learned that on the Porsche seats:

- Not to put my wallet (or any hard objects like money clips) in the back pockets of my pants. It will poke a dimple on the seat over time, especially if the seat leather is not moisturized for a long time.

- Not to grind my body & bottom across the seat when I get in & out of the car. It wears out the side bolsters more quickly over time.

- Not to adjust the seat too tight in daily drive.

- Not to seat-dancing when listening to exciting music in the car. The constant body movement (especially if wear sports jacket and jeans) will act like sandpaper to the seat leather.

With best regards,
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the adaptives & love the comfort, but they definitely have wear issues with the outboard bolster. Porsche does not officially recognize this, but the dealer has made cosmetic repairs to mine twice in 27K miles. Wear low down on the bolster is unavoidable, unless you don't use a seatbelt(not recommended).

Starting from new again, I would have the upholstery shop make leather sacrificial guards, in matching color & stitching, and put them on with double-faced tape.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

With the natural leathers you will do better (all the others have their colors painted on) with that sort of thing. I have the *** seats and they show a few little wrinkles (22,000 miles) on the outer bolster. You have to relearn how to get into a car,--to minimize injury. Would not trade them for the regulars at all. Way too many nice adjustments. Cost more than my first Porsche, and worth it!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Side bolsters get worn out by people "launching" themselves out of the car using their left hand on the bolster. Trick: don't do that. Go to the frame of the car and plant your hand there instead. I've done this for several years and it has made a huge difference in the bolster wear on my cars.

tmc
Old 02-07-2008, 02:57 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with my adaptive sport seats...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:17 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys.

The *** are firmly planted in my selection sheet.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a pair of ADP's from a 997 GT3 and had them installed in my cab. I love them.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MichaelL
Starting from new again, I would have the upholstery shop make leather sacrificial guards, in matching color & stitching, and put them on with double-faced tape.
Good suggestion, Michael.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My driver's outer bolster is badly worn, and I have 10,000 miles on the car. I'm very careful, but the valet parkers in my building don't remember to avoid the bolster and that's where the wear has come from.

And before anyone makes smart suggestions, they can all drive stick, and no I can't park it myself and still be insured if anything happens in the garage. And no, I'm not moving.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I bought a pair of ADP's from a 997 GT3 and had them installed in my cab. I love them.
Did you get the ones with alcantara? I'd love to find a set of those for my cab, but they are hard to find. Any issues with the alcantara in a cab?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes I did, and no issues at all. Though it took me a year to find them.

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Did you get the ones with alcantara? I'd love to find a set of those for my cab, but they are hard to find. Any issues with the alcantara in a cab?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Yes I did, and no issues at all. Though it took me a year to find them.
Great. I have standard heated power seats. I've been advised that the GT3 seats are completely compatible and swap easily. Can you confirm?

I saw seats advertised a couple of times last year, but thought the price was a little high in one case, and in the other case they weren't powered. Any chance you could PM me with price you paid? Photos installed in your cab might also move me along.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

While you still can (if you plan to keep the car forever) order and buy a spare *** driver's seat. Put it in storage. In ten years put it in the car.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seats - Any Wear Issues?