Sponsored by:

Couple simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple simple questions

I'm new here and debating on buy new or used. Of course if there wasn't a money issue it would obviously be new. My question is .....on looking at photos of 997's I noticed some have steering wheels that are round in the middle and others are triangular....whats the difference????

Also what are the truely must have options that should be ordered in order to retain the highest resale value???

Oh yeah.....the car I'm interested in is a C2S coupe.

Thanks
Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look through the recent posts, you'll see several discussions on related topics.

I think its fair to say, for almost any car, that no option is a must have from a resale point of view. If they were that popular and valuable, they'd be standard and built into (added to) the base price when new.

Having stated that, I'm sure most buyers develop a list of their preferences and shop/exclude accordingly. For example, some really want the Sport-Chrono package and others wouldn't buy a car with it even if it was free. Same with colors and other options. So, look them over and decide what you want and value. Don't select your car for the next buyer because you'll be compromised and you won't get the value anyway. Unless of course you're into serious collector vehicles, in which case you're in the wrong forum.

Someone below posted what I think is true: best resale as a percent of new purchase price (or MSRP probably), is the C2 coupe with no options. Me, I drive a C2S with moderate options. That kept the cost down, meets my needs and wants today, and leaves some room for future modifications and changes if I want them. But I know I'm paying for all of that, and it will become apparent when its time to sell my car.

p-cardriver
Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Base 997 has the Triangle center wheel.
"S" has the round center "sport" wheel.

Sport wheel is slightly smaller in diameter.

I believe that the best resale value is the least optioned car. Many options have NO real value in the resale market, in particular the many customization ones.

First on my list Paint. When you pay 3k+ for GT Silver it really brings little more to the resale table.

Go to KBB.com and get a value for a non optioned car....then do it again adding some options from their list and see what the added value might be.

My 2¢
Old 02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Design the car as you would like it. Don't worry too much about what some other driver might think in x years from now. This is your car, it's expensive and you should get it the way you want it if possible.

As Mjones points out, if you look at Porsche used car prices at KBB, the addition of options does very little in the resale numbers.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Thanks for the replies...while I was interested in resale value of options...I was also interested in what owners thought were "nesscessary" options.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

With the production numbers of the 997 there is inevitably going to be a resale hit,--no doubt about it. If you are obsessed with that aspect of Porsche ownership you really need to buy something else,--maybe a Honda. Seriously. If you want to build something unique, for you, then order a car. The people that order a silver car with a black leather interior can just as easily go to any of 100 Porsche dealerships and buy off the floor. If you afraid of taking a hit buy it used,--and you will still take a hit.

I have a friend who has an 06 and is afraid to drive it. He still hasn't hit 10,000 with it yet. I think he's seriously afraid of putting the miles on it as he thinks that will make it worth less at sell time. So what? You wanted a Porsche,--now go buy one and then DRIVE it. Those who deny themselves the pleasure of driving the snot out of these cars have not learned a thing about Porsche. It's the only semi-'exotic' sports car that is drivable daily!

Now go buy one, and then drive it!

Or option it out for the next guy.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Apparently i must a worded things wrong.....I'm not obcessed with resale....I intend to drive the car....maybe just trying to break into the board and ask what options ower's liked and disliked. Not try to make a statement.....just conversation.
Maybe this isn't the right place for me????

Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Bill,
Here are some suggestions:
PSE (porsche sport exhaust) loud when you want it and not when you don't
Navigation ( I have a terrible sense of direction)
Bose not great but a lot better than the stock sound system
Sport Chrono ( I like the sport mode, firms up suspension, changes the throttle response, again on when you want it and off when you don't
Wheels: your personal taste, I like Carrera Sport and Sport Classics
Get the S model, it's better in many ways although the non s guys will debate that all day. Again, just my opinion.
I suggest you take a few test drives or find someone that has on that will let you drive the car or let you ride in it for a real test drive.
These are very subjective and for me it's what made my Carrera just right for me. Good luck, enjoy the adventure
BTW, lots of low mileage preowned at big savings from new, check the porsche web site
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 PM
MartyB
Racer

Arrccod,

Don't get the wrong impression. I agree that you have gotten a few less than responsive replies, but no ill will intended, I assure you. I suggest you study a brochure and get familiar with the options first. If you've already done that, search the forum here for a specific option you are considering, like Sport Chrono, and you will find hours worth of reading. I would say there is no consensus on any single option as a must have. I would guess, however, that some of the more popular options include Bose Premium, wheel caps with colored crests, Sport Chrono, Nav, power seats, heated seats, full leather, floormats, and auto dimming mirrors. I'm probably missing a few. Sport Exhaust is really liked by most, but the vast majority of cars I see in dealer inventory do not have it. Many people who don't get it end up adding it. Althought sport chrono and Nav are popular, a large number of owners say in hindsight that both options are NOT worth the money - many say they would not order them again. If you live in or hope to someday sell to someone in a cold climate, heated seats are almost mandatory. Many people also consider the Bose system mandatory due to the really poor quality of the standard audio.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Your question appeared more focused upon the resale aspects of the car vice options that you would enjoy/appreciate ("...what are the truly must-have options that should be ordered in order to retain the highest resale value?...")

First of all, as I stated earlier, toss out the notion of resale potential on options. Options are priced ridiculously at Porsche but it's what makes the car in my opinion. Many years ago I ordered a new 911S and couldn't afford much. It was very slim on options,--only got Bilstein shocks, black trim, right side mirror, cruise control and that was about it. Nada. I later bought a used car that was loaded,--full leather interior and all the bells and whistles. THAT car was what sold me on Porsches. It was a much nicer car with options stacked on it.

The 997 is a very fine car as it sits, unoptioned. Sort of. If you are looking for the most bang for the buck, just check off "Carrera Coupe" and go no further. (Better yet, really, check off "Carrera S Coupe.") I'll list the stuff I got on my car and then put in bold the things that I enjoy daily and would really miss if I didn't order them.

Good luck with your search. I was lucky to discover this place BEFORE I placed my order. It changed 4 times before I was done. Much was due to the early 997 Rennlisters discussing their new vehicles and what they liked the most! Remember. What is in bold is what I, alone, appreciate more.

Options:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are some great deals out there....

I would rather go used C2S then new C2 - just love the 3.8 (especially with the X-5 package)...

Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The C2S is well equipped as is. You don't need no stinkin' options! If you had asked about a C2, I would have suggested the xenons as the only "necessary" option.

Other than that, the only options I'd personally select are full leather and a thicker steering wheel. But I'm not the one buying your car...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

New Porsche do not hold their value the way they use to. I would go used.....its incredible how many low milage 06-07 Porsche are out there @+ 20% from the sticker price.
good luck
abe
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Base 997 has the Triangle center wheel. "S" has the round center "sport" wheel.

Unless someone ordered multifunction on an S car. Can't get MF on the sport wheel.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/407081-about-to-trade-any-last-offers.html
Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

What's necessary depends on how and how much you use the car. If its primarily track use, options just add weight and complexity. If its for long trips, seats, stereo and nav become more important.

My must have list was:
S ('cause I knew I'd just have to upgrade later if I didn't get it now)
Xenon headlights (standard on S)
heated seats (getting older each day, Michigan climate)
clear bra on the front bumper (non factory option)

My nice-to-have but not required list was:
Sport-Chrono (I like toys)
Nav (I have a Garmin Nuvi also for the other cars, and it is better but not integrated)
Aero kit, but not wanting to be flashy, so concerned about color
Bose

Like to have/add but not worth the cost to me (yet):
X51 powerkit
multifunction steering wheel
integrated iPod (several good aftermarket products to choose, not sure any is really ready for prime time)
Bluetooth integration (but I really haven't missed it so far, had it on my last car)

I had several colors interior and exterior that I preferred and a couple that I didn't want. I actually like them all, but couldn't see myself driving to work in a speed yellow car with aero kit!

My attitude is that I'll buy a car with more options than I must have, but I won't pay for them. Sometimes that means I can't buy the car (seller won't go that low). Oh, well.

Your list will vary depending on your preferences. How to know?
1. visit dealers and drive the cars, or at least sit in them
2. read the posts here and ask questions (see doctorpcar's posts recently)
3. talk to other owners (PCA members, for example, in your area)
4. look over the brochure, and build several cars on porsche.com/usa

hope that's more in line with the intent of your original question.

p-cardriver

Quick Reply: Couple simple questions